Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2093189 times)

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 announced!
« Reply #150 on: February 10, 2012, 06:20:35 pm »

Not to mention the loveliness that is the fact that only those raising the Jolly Roger are set for a weekend of crusading as a result.

Aye, any kind of DRM is broken within days of release, literally the only people it harms is the consumers and those who get the game legit 4 days early :P
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 10, 2012, 06:39:47 pm »

Yeah, incredibly tempting ... maybe Paradox will talk their distributors into releasing early. I think they should. But I've no idea what that involves, probably more than a simple phone call.

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 10, 2012, 07:35:24 pm »

My copy of CK2 arrived 4 days early, however due to Steam's furious cockblocking, I just have to sit and look at it until Tuesday. Fuck you, Steam >:(

Scan the manual for us!

I hope you're not serious, it has a goddamn spine it's that big :P

EDIT: However, here is a picture as proof:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I think it's funny how you have a physical disc but no game. Regardless, that's a really game box/manual/CD :P

It is not steam blocking, it is the developer (and publisher). They don't want it released yet. And this group are the first to bitch and moan about a not ready game (I am 99.9% certain there will be patches for that boxed version at release). So the hypocrisy you all display is really quite amusing. You'd think you'd have more respect for the developer for trying to have a good release- or just have respect period, but no, in the end you all are just greedy and make up justification for flying the jolly roger in whatever way you can.

AussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • [Australian]
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 11, 2012, 01:27:10 am »

Is it worth it shelling out 40 dollars to pre order it? Or should I just wait until it goes on sale some time in the future?

jashman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #154 on: February 11, 2012, 01:55:21 am »

CKII is the first game that I have actually preordered in well over a decade.  The only real reason that my Jolly Roger will stay furled is due to too many commitments over the course of the weekend, otherwise I would have zero qualms with it.  You act like they pushed the release date back to deal with bugs... Johan and Co. specifically stated on the forums that it was a 100% marketing decision (and their release version has been done for a few months, to boot).  I still have my EU2 disc, and playing that thing unpatched was comical, but still enjoyable, so I am just fine with a happy medium.  They've got my money, I don't care much of what they want beyond that, and Paradox is one of the few companies I respect and am nearly sure I will enjoy their product.  If I bought more than a tiny fraction of the garbage I try out and immediately uninstall, I'd be a bitter, penniless anti-gamer.  But, thanks for the laugh.

And to try and steer this back to a more fun note, my nerdy self is stoked to mod in my own family name and coat-of-arms.  They even have the county in-game (Wiltshire uber alles!) where the name first appeared as holding a family seat, this time (Yes, I am going with the fact that a last name, with zero proof of lineage, means I am obviously an heir to nobility :P).

Edit: @AussieGuy - Up to you, I am staunchly against pre-ordering in general, but I imagine I will buy basically all the DLC for this one.  The original CK is one of my all-time favorite games, so I've been waiting for this for many years.  Try the demo, there are ways you can play for more than the 20 year limit and with any character beyond the four you are "supposed" to (and not even referring to a "Yar, matey!" version here).  Should be a good indication.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 02:00:24 am by jashman »

Nistenf

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is a lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 11, 2012, 02:10:38 am »

You can actually try the full game already

jashman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #156 on: February 11, 2012, 02:21:08 am »

Well, that was rather the crux of the rest of the conversation, so I figured I should plug the demo as any good hypocrite.  ;)

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 11, 2012, 03:49:32 am »

And to try and steer this back to a more fun note, my nerdy self is stoked to mod in my own family name and coat-of-arms.  They even have the county in-game (Wiltshire uber alles!) where the name first appeared as holding a family seat, this time (Yes, I am going with the fact that a last name, with zero proof of lineage, means I am obviously an heir to nobility :P).

Huh, you know, I never thought of doing that for some reason. Good idea, Nottingham will be returned to it's true rulers (who were pretty much just farmers and prisoners :P)!
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 11, 2012, 04:08:16 am »

If I'm not mistaken, Paradox' stance on DRM is simply "it doesn't work". At least one of them said as much in a recent interview.
Love, scriver~

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 11, 2012, 08:12:07 am »

If I'm not mistaken, Paradox' stance on DRM is simply "it doesn't work". At least one of them said as much in a recent interview.

The Steam authentication is probably an unwanted side effect of releasing their games on Steam, then. I'm okay with this, I already knew Valve are assholes about DRM, so long as Paradox are still cool guys :P

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 11, 2012, 08:36:11 am »

Johan and Co. specifically stated on the forums that it was a 100% marketing decision (and their release version has been done for a few months, to boot). 

It may be a marketing decision, but it also means the game is releasing as 1.03. The leaked version is the shitty, pre-release version, with a pretty big bug (that has been fixed).
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 11, 2012, 08:55:16 am »

CKII is the first game that I have actually preordered in well over a decade.  The only real reason that my Jolly Roger will stay furled is due to too many commitments over the course of the weekend, otherwise I would have zero qualms with it.  You act like they pushed the release date back to deal with bugs... Johan and Co. specifically stated on the forums that it was a 100% marketing decision (and their release version has been done for a few months, to boot).  I still have my EU2 disc, and playing that thing unpatched was comical, but still enjoyable, so I am just fine with a happy medium.  They've got my money, I don't care much of what they want beyond that, and Paradox is one of the few companies I respect and am nearly sure I will enjoy their product.  If I bought more than a tiny fraction of the garbage I try out and immediately uninstall, I'd be a bitter, penniless anti-gamer.  But, thanks for the laugh.
And you prove my point 100%
"Paradox is one of the few companies I respect and am nearly sure I will enjoy their product" BUT I would disrespect their wishes if I had the time BECAUSE [insert any justification you can here]. Soo... Like I wrote, you lack respect for their decisions and are just greedy.
I buy all the garbage I try. Heck, I bought the new Jagged Alliance and, now, I find it to be one of the worst games I've played in months. I'm just not a greedy prick so I don't get bitter. If I really don't want to lose out I'll read reviews or play demos. But hey, I'm not trying to get you to change- keep on justifying your behavior in any way you can to keep your big ol' ego flying strong. I'd hate for you to realize you are petty, that wouldn't be fun.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 11, 2012, 09:47:03 am »

Goron, your attitude and self-righteous attitude only serves to make pirates look like the good guys. I don't pirate games, but I share the opinion with the majority of game devs that piracy occurs within an acceptable percentage of overall gamers and that they can be leveraged to provide some value through buzz building or testing. Just because you are comfortable throwing away your money and don't regret it.
You called him greedy and petty because of the slant you wanted to put on it, so let me show you how easy that is for strangers to do.
I think you are greedy and petty because you are happy to waste money on games that you end up not enjoying or needing when you could just make and educated purchase and take the extra money you save and give it to charity and actually help someone other than your self for a change.

I am not actually of that opinion because I don't know you as a person or your values and it would be reckless of me to place such a judgement on you or your values without know more about you. One of the reasons I have given away so many games here is because I want offer a chance to some people to rightfully own a game that they would otherwise pirate. Of course there are other reasons, such as building interest in indie games and building a sense of community etc.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #163 on: February 11, 2012, 10:10:35 am »

I vote for Hemmingjay to be the president of the Other Games section of this forum, he truly is our ambassador at home here. What with all the contests and level headed parenting he offers, +1 for Hemmingjay to be a forum moderator for Other Games (if he would take the job, and even if he wouldnt, lets make him do it).
I got nothing

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 11, 2012, 10:39:12 am »

Goron, your attitude and self-righteous attitude only serves to make pirates look like the good guys. I don't pirate games, but I share the opinion with the majority of game devs that piracy occurs within an acceptable percentage of overall gamers and that they can be leveraged to provide some value through buzz building or testing. Just because you are comfortable throwing away your money and don't regret it.
You called him greedy and petty because of the slant you wanted to put on it, so let me show you how easy that is for strangers to do.
I think you are greedy and petty because you are happy to waste money on games that you end up not enjoying or needing when you could just make and educated purchase and take the extra money you save and give it to charity and actually help someone other than your self for a change.
Doesn't work that way. Within the legal system giving money to charity, or not, is in no way dictated by the law. You can never, ever accuse me of violating the law because I choose or do not choose to give money to charity. Therefore I do not need to justify my decision to give or not give to charity in a legal sense and therefore have little need to justify myself morally. You accuse me of being self righteous, which is interesting... I am not the one forced to justify my actions as right in order to feel better about myself or make others think of me in a certain way. The second you see me pick on someone that admits they would rather just pirate a game than pay for it, then you can accuse me of whatever you want. But that is not the case, I point out the people that desperately try to justify their actions. When I speed on the highway I don't justify it saying 'derp derp these laws are stupid derp I am safe driver derp', I just admit I am speeding and that is that. I break laws all the time. I make morally 'wrong' decisions all the time, the difference is that I just don't try to claim I am in the right when I am not. I man up and hold myself responsible for my decisions. So... self righteous? sure, I'll take that. But by appointing that title to me that means I am in the right or in some way superior, and I am putting others down due to that- so its a compliment.

And in the case of charity, you were right, I don't give as much as I could and probably should; but I don't give a crap and I admit that. I choose to drive a Mercedes rather than feed someone else, that's who I am. I'm not going to sit around and try and make myself look like a better person when I am not.

EDIT: wow, you actually helped me find the way to prove my point pretty easily. Never realized it was that easy.
EDIT2, for fun:For the record one can think DRM is silly and not pirate... That is possible. Same goes for, say, SOPA. It went well beyond the scope of being constitutionally legal, in my opinion; that said I can still agree that Megaupload was an illegal operation. I can't say I've ever used Megaupload, but if I had I wouldn't be sitting around crying like a little kid claiming foul, no, I'd admit their game was up and they finally have to face the consequences of their actions.
I mentioned I drove a Mercedes; I don't think I deserve to be able to drive a Lexus too. I don't think that just because the cars are overpriced I should be able to go an steal one form the lot, leaving just enough money to cover cost of storage, manufacture, and shipping. No, I am forced to be content with one car. If I want another, I'll cut back on costs elsewhere so I can buy one; and I'll read reviews and/or ask friends that own on to see if it is something I am really interested in. I won't just steal it, leaving only the money so as to not make the companies lose out on income (that's the biggest argument I tend to hear- well, it is not like it costs them anything and I wasn't going to buy it anyways, derp).
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 10:57:40 am by Goron »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 1002