Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 648 649 [650] 651 652 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2093076 times)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #9735 on: February 29, 2016, 06:29:19 pm »

Spending money on my vassals usually winds up being pointless. It takes very little time once I hit Emperor tier to have personal levies + retinues that can crush anything in my path that isn't also an Emperor. Which basically means the Holy Roman Empire, the Byzantines and the Caliphs. I occasionally splurge a bit on vassal relatives so they don't get ousted by their own vassals, but by and large I prefer to leave them weak and without my aid so they are less inclined to rebel due to the differences in levy size.

Try expanding into Tribal/Nomad lands and "colonizing" them.  That is a real money sink.

I generally just leave that to my vassals to do on their own time and with their own coin. I don't really care if random noble 5228 can give me 3000 levies or 300, when you throw around 30-40k pretty casually there's no real need to increase the size of vassal levies, so I don't bother trying to boost captured tribal/nomad land beyond the effort involved in helping it convert to the faith of my empire.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9736 on: February 29, 2016, 06:38:49 pm »

Spending money on my vassals usually winds up being pointless. It takes very little time once I hit Emperor tier to have personal levies + retinues that can crush anything in my path that isn't also an Emperor. Which basically means the Holy Roman Empire, the Byzantines and the Caliphs. I occasionally splurge a bit on vassal relatives so they don't get ousted by their own vassals, but by and large I prefer to leave them weak and without my aid so they are less inclined to rebel due to the differences in levy size.

Try expanding into Tribal/Nomad lands and "colonizing" them.  That is a real money sink.

I generally just leave that to my vassals to do on their own time and with their own coin. I don't really care if random noble 5228 can give me 3000 levies or 300, when you throw around 30-40k pretty casually there's no real need to increase the size of vassal levies, so I don't bother trying to boost captured tribal/nomad land beyond the effort involved in helping it convert to the faith of my empire.

I like building up the unsettled territory.  What is even better is trying to make the Steppes more developed than Western Europe.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9737 on: February 29, 2016, 07:18:04 pm »

What is even better is trying to make the Steppes more developed than Western Europe.
When you port it to EU4 and the development is 1/1/1?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9738 on: February 29, 2016, 10:19:58 pm »

What is even better is trying to make the Steppes more developed than Western Europe.
I thought that when it was ported it took into account how developed a province was in CKII?
In truth, I have no idea. That was just me attempting a joke.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9739 on: March 01, 2016, 02:39:53 am »

One of the great things to do if you ever have the chance to conquer the Russian and Eurasian plains is rush to set up your own antipope as the real pope ASAP. You'll very quickly get loads of cash from the Pope, but the real madness comes about when you start building Bishopries all over the plains. Once (or if) you give independence to the plains you'll leave behind a rapidly advancing developing Kingdom/Empire that will also most of the time also be sending some taxes to your Pope.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9740 on: March 01, 2016, 10:43:05 am »

I thought that when it was ported it took into account how developed a province was in CKII?
In truth, I have no idea. That was just me attempting a joke.
My understanding is that the converter usually just sputters and dies.*
In truth, I don't own the converter, but that is the internet consensus.  I wish is was just an attempt at a joke.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9741 on: March 01, 2016, 03:38:55 pm »

I recently had every single vassal of mine independently conspiring to slander some dude. That was dumb.
And lo, the entire realm did cry out in unison: "Fuck that guy!"

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9742 on: March 01, 2016, 04:50:09 pm »

I'm some nobody Hungarian count, and a marshall to a little girl despite my whopping martial rating of 3.

I don't know what else to do. I've got brother-in-law with claim on some random province in the middle of nowhere, but there's no way I could press it.
I should probably start saving money for mercinaries and declare independence from my duchess just because. It's two-province duchy, I don't even have anyone to conspire with.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9743 on: March 01, 2016, 06:27:40 pm »

I'm some nobody Hungarian count, and a marshall to a little girl despite my whopping martial rating of 3.

I don't know what else to do. I've got brother-in-law with claim on some random province in the middle of nowhere, but there's no way I could press it.
I should probably start saving money for mercinaries and declare independence from my duchess just because. It's two-province duchy, I don't even have anyone to conspire with.
Are you using Conclave? If so, it could explain you being marshal. You could try to dominate the realm from the inside, hold most of the land while letting her (and whomever comes next) stand as the obvious target. It would make for a nice change of pace.

boyoentukboyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9744 on: March 02, 2016, 08:41:25 am »

So the devs said that theyre going to launch a new DLC, and it's not about taxes. Any other info?

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9745 on: March 02, 2016, 08:42:25 am »

I don't have Conclave. I think I'm still on vanilla game or with a few minor DLC.

She's probably just out of vassals. I liked it better when my Duke was also my king. Damn gravelkind.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9746 on: March 02, 2016, 12:29:34 pm »

Damn gravelkind.
Gavelkind can actually be really good (and fun!) if you know how to handle it (or not). It lets you have a bigger personal demesne and your children won't pester you for titles.

EDIT: Here's the post boyoentukboyo mentioned. Please, Johan, no, spare my wallet, please!

EDIT 2: There's a beta patch available.

Spoiler: Dem notes (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 12:37:28 pm by Teneb »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9747 on: March 02, 2016, 01:13:44 pm »

So the devs said that theyre going to launch a new DLC, and it's not about taxes. Any other info?
Probably secret bears.

-----

I played a bit of the new beta patch as well as all the latest DLC etc.

My first thought was...

"Wait, how many achievements are there now? Holy crap."

My second thought was...

"Hehehe, alliances are so easy to get."

My third thought was...

"FUCK YOU YOU STUPID COUNT OF AL-JAZEERA JUST FUCKING GIVE ME YOUR LAND ALREADY I'VE DECLARED WAR ON YOU 12 TIMES NOW TWELVE STOP FINDING FUCKING STUPID FUCKING WAYS TO CANCEL THE WAR YOU FUCKING FUCK FUCK NOW YOU DIED AND IT GOT INHERITED BY THIS KING WHAT THE FUCK I FUCKING HATE YOU AAAAAAAARGH"

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9748 on: March 02, 2016, 01:19:49 pm »

Probably secret bears.

Finally.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9749 on: March 02, 2016, 01:20:54 pm »

If it's not about taxes it's probably about death.
Pages: 1 ... 648 649 [650] 651 652 ... 1002