Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 599 600 [601] 602 603 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2090184 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #9000 on: October 10, 2015, 03:09:42 pm »

#ThoughtsInMyOtin (wine)
Ugh, I have mixed feelings about retinues.  On the plus side, they take away a lot of the micro of managing an empire or large kingdom.  The levy system is pretty awkward, though arguably by design.  Raising levies for a dozen rebellions a year is tedious, but there's always a reason for those rebellions.  In a way, the levy system is supposed to make wars more of a hassle for the player.

But really only in a meta way.  Lords don't care if you raise and lower their levies a hundred times in an instant.  The troops don't care either, even though their teleporting (as long as they're in friendly lands).
* There ought to be a flat relations cost for raising the levies, and meager gold cost for raising personal levies (a fee for deputies going out to summon the men, and shrinkage on their equipment)
** Declaring war should totally be possible with raised levies
** Relations hit and gold fee for having levies over time would be balanced to match

Then there are retinues.  They charge absolutely no upkeep, only hiring fees.  And they can magically hire reinforcements in the middle of fuckmenistan.  It's fine to declare war with them "raised", heck even if they're on the border (and 1 day from entering the enemy country).

They are, essentially, "Good job being a king, here's a time and effort saver on your world conquest attempt".  And they're kinda all backwards.  Professional soldiers should cost over time as opposed to on-hire.  To misquote the Imperial Guard: "Training a man is easy, retaining him will be hard".
* Recruiting into the retinue should be cheap, but slow
* Retinues should charge more upkeep than levies.
** I don't see why there should be some magic cap on how many men I'm allowed to pay, if I have the gold.

Just some thoughts, back to drinking.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9001 on: October 10, 2015, 03:30:02 pm »

Retinues due cost (although minuscule) upkeep cost all the time and cost a heck of a lot to reinforce (which can only be done at 2.5% of the unit per month), so they are still expensive to maintain, at least if you're taking losses with them. But yeah, they do have quite a few problems. The cap system really doesn't make much sense either.

Personally, if I'm of a Norse group, I always use Housecarls. Pure heavy infantry badassey. (200 men each +40% offense +10% morale, very good). These guys can wipe the floor if you keep them in their own unpolluted flank with someone with heavy infantry leader and berserker trait leading them. During defense, they will shield wall during skirmish, keeping troops and morale well intact, and wether defending or attacking, they will destroy in the melee phase using tactics such as berserker charge, advance, and others that boost heavy infantry. Once clearing the opposing flank, they will then clean up a flank next to theirs with an added (and huge) flanking bonus.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 03:31:56 pm by Quartz_Mace »
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9002 on: October 10, 2015, 03:34:37 pm »

Oh right, I guess they started costing an upkeep a couple months or so ago.  And yeah they cost a ton to hire reinforcements, but it's still weird.

Also I was going to suggest that they only reinforce in coastal counties, or bordering friendly counties.

I always, always use skirmish retinues.  I've got very little faith in the combat system...  And more skirmishers = faster storming of holdings.  Which is practically all you have to do once you're a king (or okay, to be fair, an emperor).  Crush helplessly small revolts, pathetic enemy armies, and storm a hundred holdings because they don't know when they've lost.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9003 on: October 10, 2015, 06:59:37 pm »

** I don't see why there should be some magic cap on how many men I'm allowed to pay, if I have the gold.

And where are they supposed to come from?  Where does their gear come from?  The military industrial complex of Rome is less then a distant memory, they literally didn't even have a conception of the underlying production and recruiting efforts.  As such the number of retinues you can recruit is already unrealistically high.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9004 on: October 10, 2015, 07:07:18 pm »

The easiest strategy to have a high retinue cap is to start every character with scholarly focus, do the "build observatory" decision/event chain for loads of military tech points (while the spymaster stays stealing tech in Constantinople), and not spend any of it until you're rich and big enough that there aren't any holding upgrades (or new cities to build) worth spending money on. Then you can dump like 4000+ mil points into the military organization tech, providing a large modifier to your total holding count.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9005 on: October 10, 2015, 07:12:55 pm »

And where are they supposed to come from?  Where does their gear come from?  The military industrial complex of Rome is less then a distant memory, they literally didn't even have a conception of the underlying production and recruiting efforts.  As such the number of retinues you can recruit is already unrealistically high.
The people come from that mystical population pool which spawns countless armed rebellions, hero armies, and levies.  The difference is, this cause actually pays.
Equipment only explains why the reinforcement rate is capped, not the total size.  The logistics issues of feeding the army are simulated with the supply system, and maintenance cost.  And I think that cost ought to be higher, instead of the hiring cost and reinforcement cost.
She/they

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9006 on: October 12, 2015, 10:03:58 am »

Just because one thing is unrealistic doesn't mean other things should be unrealistic.

And equipment does justify a total cap.  Equipment in this period needed to be replaced frequently.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9007 on: October 13, 2015, 01:38:41 pm »

So there was another teaser "dev diary". The only actual mechanics thing in it was this screenshot
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Looks like EU4 shattered retreat is now a thing.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9008 on: October 13, 2015, 01:57:44 pm »

On the one hand battles have always been a bit of a joke, since one victory means a certain stackwipe of that army unless another one comes along to reinforce. On the other hand, EU4 shattered retreat is a really irritating mechanic, with the total invulnerability and no way to intercept or encircle (along with the constant mental minigame of understanding the algorithm enough to predict their destination).

That said, in CKII armies typically take much more damage and don't reinforce like EU4 (except retinues, but even that's typically slower), so I think it'll end up being of little consequence, and not nearly as bad as EU4 ping-ponging.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9009 on: October 13, 2015, 01:59:57 pm »

What is this mechanic?  No more predictable pathing and such?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9010 on: October 13, 2015, 02:05:50 pm »

In EU4, if an army retreats from a battle they will be incapable of fighting (meaning you can't intercept them and finish them off, even with an army waiting in their path), they'll move at a much faster speed (making it difficult to chase), and they'll recover morale (but not reinforce). Once they reach their target province, they can be fought again. The player can't control the army while it's in retreat, and often they can't pick the province they'll retreat to unless they order the retreat early and it's a valid destination (which is rather obtuse, and will often lead to armies retreating a very long distance).

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9011 on: October 13, 2015, 02:09:36 pm »

So isn't that similar to what currently happens in CK2? Or am I missing some crucial point of information here? Like the target province being several provinces away from the battle?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9012 on: October 13, 2015, 02:09:46 pm »

So what we have now, but farther away?

pedit ^^

I cant tell you how often I lose a stack of retinue because I dont know where the enemy reinforcing doomstack is.  Though I recognize the current system as better for me than the ai.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9013 on: October 13, 2015, 02:15:24 pm »

I can't remember the max distance, and I don't think it's in the defines, but it's upwards of like 15 provinces (and the army moves 50% faster).

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9014 on: October 13, 2015, 02:16:30 pm »

Thats far.  they should suffer attrition while in that mode.  deserters, infection, no food, no supplies, etc.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 599 600 [601] 602 603 ... 1002