Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 598 599 [600] 601 602 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2090311 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #8985 on: October 09, 2015, 12:45:04 pm »

Maybe Jesus is a heretic?
Probably not Cathar, though.  I couldn't see Cathar Jesus doing that.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8986 on: October 09, 2015, 12:50:36 pm »

Ah, but as far as Muslims are concerned, these Christians are unbelievers who corrupted the message of Jesus.  It is known, after all, that Jesus will come to the aid of Islam again in order to fight defeat the Antichrist or False Messiah during the days of judgment.  His victory will mark the spontaneous conversions of Christians and Jews to Islam, and he will reign over a time of unparalleled peace, dying a natural death after forty years.  He's just helping you bring them to the True Faith, for it is not their fault they fight for those who corrupted his words over time. :P

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8987 on: October 09, 2015, 12:56:53 pm »

Jesus is a (very important) prophet in Islam, and makes up a third of the Mohammud/Jesus/Moses prophet trio.

Although Jesus would be the least likely of the three to dish out tactical advice, its possible, and the reputation hit would be about the same, imo.

Actually, in Islamic apocalyptic literature, Jesus comes back at the Last Battle to put a personal beatdown on ad-Dajjal, the Muslim version of the Antichrist. So seems legit to me.

EDIT: Ninjaed.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8988 on: October 09, 2015, 03:08:21 pm »

Playing as Umayyid Andalusia is fun. One wonders why they didn't roflestomp their way to Rome the moment Charlemagne died. I guess the Andalusians didn't want Aquitaine to unlock crusades?

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8989 on: October 09, 2015, 03:16:14 pm »

Playing as Umayyid Andalusia is fun. One wonders why they didn't roflestomp their way to Rome the moment Charlemagne died. I guess the Andalusians didn't want Aquitaine to unlock crusades?
The Umayad dynasty actually died out and the realm broke out in multiple factions. Andalusia wasn't united again until the Almoravid, afaik. Also, after the failure the next time, the influx of warriors from Mauretania and Syria probably was less important and not enough to call for Jihad again.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8990 on: October 09, 2015, 03:39:46 pm »

That makes sense. Under the player Andalusia is a brickhouse steamroller.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8991 on: October 09, 2015, 04:00:41 pm »

Finally messed with the ruler designer.  Heehee, I'll be a drunk gluttonous hunchbacked dwarf.  And an arbitrary genius 16 year old girl.
Why do all my courtiers hate me :'(

I think I got distracted from my original plan...  Start as tribal Gotland, with the plan of forming a Norse trade republic then pledging fealty to some king (probably Sweden) and then conquering the world as a vassal.

Few problems...
Even with 28 martial, I barely have an army
I'd go raiding, except I have no (0) boats
Probably because I have no technology
Everyone hates me because I'm a freak of genetics (also a kinslaying bastard!  I assume I just murdered the previous ruler or something)

And even if I had an army, it's hard to imagine reforming the Germanic religion as a duke.  Which I'd have to do in order to form a trade republic, bah.

I should probably start as Austergotland instead.  Or, instead of Charlemangy, start in 1066 where Gotland already exists.  It's Christian, but hey, Ruler Designer (and it's not like the Norse are fully purged at that point, it practically makes sense).  Then I get the challenge of being a Norse Republic vassal to Christian Sweden.  Still with the goal of staying loyal, and making my "liege" ruler of the whole world.  Obviously doing everything I can to convert him...
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8992 on: October 09, 2015, 04:05:16 pm »

10 temple raids starting with 40 moral authority.  and the requisite piety/prestige.

afa the army, thats probably a mix of no land/tribal.  And no boats?  you get 1 free tech ;eve; of shipbuilding and a free shipport when the Viking Age event rolls in 20-30 or so years.

If you already have ship tech you get another level free.  But no ship port upgrade if you already have 1. :(
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8993 on: October 09, 2015, 04:05:51 pm »

I'd go raiding, except I have no (0) boats
If you're norse, you just have to wait a bit if you started in the CM start. When the viking age event fires you (and all the other norse) will get boats.

Ninja'd.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8994 on: October 09, 2015, 04:11:39 pm »

I should probably start as Austergotland instead.  Or, instead of Charlemangy, start in 1066 where Gotland already exists.  It's Christian, but hey, Ruler Designer (and it's not like the Norse are fully purged at that point, it practically makes sense).  Then I get the challenge of being a Norse Republic vassal to Christian Sweden.  Still with the goal of staying loyal, and making my "liege" ruler of the whole world.  Obviously doing everything I can to convert him...

Actually, the largest Swedish vassal at that start is 'Erik the Heathen', the last pagan in the kingdom. He starts with a strong claim to the throne and you could help him take it as Gotland - I've tried this exact start (ruler designed pagan Gotland), and though it kinda... failed horribly, I've seen Erik take the throne sometimes on his own, so it's not impossible.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8995 on: October 09, 2015, 04:14:22 pm »

Thanks!  I'm actually giving her a shot, at least for a couple of generations to see what happens.
As for reforming the faith, I'd need to personally control 3 holy sites.  Basically a county each from Sweden, Norway, and Denmark...  Maybe not so hard, actually.  If I can become a superduke. 

Just gotta let some other Scandinavian form a kingdom.  From what I've read, you can only swear to your de jure liege if you have one...  But if you don't, the rules are laxer.

Actually, the largest Swedish vassal at that start is 'Erik the Heathen', the last pagan in the kingdom. He starts with a strong claim to the throne and you could help him take it as Gotland - I've tried this exact start (ruler designed pagan Gotland), and though it kinda... failed horribly, I've seen Erik take the throne sometimes on his own, so it's not impossible.
Huh, yeah...  I remembered him, but didn't think of putting him on the throne.  Didn't remember he was powerful, that's good info.
She/they

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8996 on: October 10, 2015, 06:11:20 am »

I'm enjoying having the momentum that being an emperor of a huge empire brings: when your vassals are powerful and competent enough to expand the empire on their own initiative.

The size does have it's own problems: in the same year I handily beat the pope and his holy war against me, I also failed in invading a poxy two-county duke somewhere so far east as it was too far away to bring my troops over (troops who were in any case busy killing Christians in the west). Now have 100% Germanic moral authority, but massive war debts.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #8997 on: October 10, 2015, 09:58:09 am »

And even if I had an army, it's hard to imagine reforming the Germanic religion as a duke.  Which I'd have to do in order to form a trade republic, bah.

It is trivially easy to convert.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8998 on: October 10, 2015, 11:20:19 am »

retinues, nqt.

expensive to reinforce, so use them to walk over and secure litlle people land.

use skirmishers or light inf retinues if theyll only be an occupying force.  they provide more siege/quanity bang for your buck.

I like pikes and heavies personally, but i recognize they could be better.  with the right leader they can crush an army twice their size.

retinues dont have to be drawn up once there, so sending them over to the far end of the empire lets you kill those dukes at your leisure without expecting the admittedly massive cost of reinforcing them or incurring vassal hate.

pedit:  keep in mind you can micro the reinforce rate of retinues
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 11:28:56 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8999 on: October 10, 2015, 01:50:24 pm »

Yeah that's good advice which I'll take long term. In the short term, the retinues are spawning in Zeeland, which makes getting to Mongolia a bit laborious.
Pages: 1 ... 598 599 [600] 601 602 ... 1002