Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 592 593 [594] 595 596 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2091347 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #8895 on: September 21, 2015, 04:36:29 pm »

Actually, does the game put greater priority on certain cultures/regions being 'trouble' or prefering certain types of actions?

Say, I had a real issue getting Italy to stfu about crown authority and elective succession, even as the rest of the empire was under absolute authority and primogeniture.  But aside from them, I only had trouble with the occassional self-righteous vassal in Saxony and Africa.  Are they programmed to be democracy loving freedom hippies?

Also, it would make sense if you got the diplo hit for kings/empires if you didnt actually hold land/a kingdom within the empire's de-jure.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8896 on: September 22, 2015, 05:44:47 am »

Personalities (including how much vassals like other grumbling vassals), wealth and relative power matter more than culture. However, there are some cultural modifiers. Adventuring is at least partially based on culture and religion; Norsemen (including Normans) are more likely to go adventuring than, say, Finns and Spaniards. Does culture count regarding accepting the ruler's decisions? No idea.

However, considering how fragmented Italy was, it would be logical for them to be more rebellious than the rest.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8897 on: September 24, 2015, 06:24:16 am »

I've begun the process of seizing the necessary lands to create the Roman empire in my Norse Byzantines game.

The Empire itself has completely converted to paganism, at least where directly under me, and the lands of Britain have been dragged into the Empire's warm embrace. My vassals are cheerfully waging wars against other nations, primarily Africa and the torn and mangled remains of England.

I intend to hand the leadership of the Norse faith to my heir, convert to christianity quickly, reform the Roman empire and then convert back, granting me the Augustus trait, which when combined with Born in the Purple and Viking will make me more or less unassailably popular.  :D

I've been raiding the lands of the Caliphate when my money runs low. I've yet to unleash the full force of the empire as raiders, but my retinue and personal levies have burned Mecca and Medina twice, rampaged through other coastal territories with the confidence that naval supremacy will let them flee as needed, and hauled back gold, prisoners and prestige by the hundreds.

It's good to be the viking emperor.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8898 on: September 24, 2015, 10:57:18 am »

Where's the Varangian Guard in all this?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8899 on: September 24, 2015, 11:04:46 am »

Speaking of, I kind of maybe reformed my religion under the inpression it would dramatically help wrt elective gavelkind.  did not

in fact, I share a border of 1 county with unempired holy rome, and now have no pagan attrition in the 800s.  I actually suffer it, though only when the game remembers to add it.  which means my conquest of poland is shut down barring a distraction, and my conquest of ruthenia made more annoying.

on the plus, the split in the faith let me collect the Archbishop's taxes, and imprison and kill my bro, who was to be elected over my son.  my son spent about 14 years in jail because he refused to offer ransom, which I gifted him enough for.  His wife had a child 12 years in and he thought it was his, so I had it killed and her banished
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8900 on: September 24, 2015, 11:06:52 am »

They're the last hold followers of Orthodox Christianity among my direct vassals. They get dragged into my wars, but they refuse to raid or attend my blots.

It is rather amusing that all the Greeks are pagan and the only Orthodox who remain are Norse.  :P
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #8901 on: September 24, 2015, 12:31:49 pm »

They're the last hold followers of Orthodox Christianity among my direct vassals. They get dragged into my wars, but they refuse to raid or attend my blots.

It is rather amusing that all the Greeks are pagan and the only Orthodox who remain are Norse.  :P
All in all, it sounds as great background for awesome story.
This is exactly why I love all those damn games where you can push world into alternate history. When I find something like this I just sometimes turn off my computer and think for hours about stuff. I mean, damn, imagine Varangian Guard fighting amongs themselves because some of them still remember their Norse roots but others are loyal to Orthodox faith but still unable to do shit because the Emperor they're supposed to protect is pagan. All those secret plots, fights between norsemen (with amazing armor design) during nights in Constantinopole, Muslims somewhere and all this shit. It would be gold.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8902 on: September 24, 2015, 02:10:39 pm »

This is exactly why I love all those damn games where you can push world into alternate history. When I find something like this I just sometimes turn off my computer and think for hours about stuff. I mean, damn, imagine Varangian Guard fighting amongs themselves because some of them still remember their Norse roots but others are loyal to Orthodox faith but still unable to do shit because the Emperor they're supposed to protect is pagan. All those secret plots, fights between norsemen (with amazing armor design) during nights in Constantinopole, Muslims somewhere and all this shit. It would be gold.

I still prefer the Byzantine Empire of Jerusalem
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8903 on: September 24, 2015, 02:44:35 pm »

Byzantine Empire of Buddha could be fun.  :P
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8904 on: September 24, 2015, 02:55:26 pm »

Quartz_Mace:
1. Duke-level de jure vassals of that kingdom will covet the title, giving a large negative relations boost.
2. If you die and the titles have different succession laws, you can lose the title. If you do lose the title, the inheritor will not be your vassal due to both of you being the same rank.
3. Vassals (Duke-level only or all direct, I don't know) opinion will be -10 for each kingdom over two that you hold.  So in your case, the long rule bonus may negate it.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8905 on: September 24, 2015, 08:57:42 pm »

How does Feudalzation work?  I turned my capital into a castle, but the other settlements did not turn.   I assume I reuse the option when I get more top-tiered fortifications, but what about vassal properties?

While here, what If, as the now king of Ruthenia/lithuania, I had founded a merchant republic instead?  How would that affect my holdings and tribal vassals?  Would feudal vassals react differently?
PKs DF Mod!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8906 on: September 24, 2015, 09:03:12 pm »

How does Feudalzation work?  I turned my capital into a castle, but the other settlements did not turn.   I assume I reuse the option when I get more top-tiered fortifications, but what about vassal properties?

While here, what If, as the now king of Ruthenia/lithuania, I had founded a merchant republic instead?  How would that affect my holdings and tribal vassals?  Would feudal vassals react differently?
AI vassals will get the decision to feudalize when their hillforts hit level IV as well.

If you had founded a merchant republic, then it would work pretty much the same way, except with settlements at level IV instead of forts. Main thing is you get a serious malus to levies from tribal vassals when you're no longer tribal (be that feudal or republic). If you're fedual, you can start to make up the difference with your own demesne troops, but if you're a Republic, the switchover can be precarious. General rule for switching out of tribal government is to try and do it all at once, so that you can keep the large troop numbers around to keep your territory intact until you're ready to switch. Plus, it's generally easier to come by prestige than gold. Save up your gold for building improvements AFTER you switch.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8907 on: September 24, 2015, 09:36:59 pm »

AI vassals will get the decision to feudalize when their hillforts hit level IV as well.

If you had founded a merchant republic, then it would work pretty much the same way, except with settlements at level IV instead of forts. Main thing is you get a serious malus to levies from tribal vassals when you're no longer tribal (be that feudal or republic). If you're fedual, you can start to make up the difference with your own demesne troops, but if you're a Republic, the switchover can be precarious. General rule for switching out of tribal government is to try and do it all at once, so that you can keep the large troop numbers around to keep your territory intact until you're ready to switch. Plus, it's generally easier to come by prestige than gold. Save up your gold for building improvements AFTER you switch.
You can also do the decision to feudalize/turn into a republic for your vassals, unless that got taken out in a patch. You probably want to feudalize your vassals to avoid the government difference penalty (and to get more taxes and control the levies).
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

poketwo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8908 on: September 24, 2015, 10:47:08 pm »

I still prefer the Byzantine Empire of Jerusalem
What's the surrounding area outside the holy city like?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8909 on: September 25, 2015, 03:38:03 am »

3. Vassals (Duke-level only or all direct, I don't know) opinion will be -10 for each kingdom over two that you hold.  So in your case, the long rule bonus may negate it.

No, you get a malus for hogging duchies, but not for Kingdoms and Empires.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 592 593 [594] 595 596 ... 1002