Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2091436 times)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #750 on: April 27, 2012, 12:25:32 am »

I only have one province, and how do I make bishops? 

Plus, a lot of the "candidates" are my vassals who vote for themselves.  Nothing short of killing them or making them rebel ( and then crushing them, and then executing them in prison ) causes them to change their minds.

GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: April 27, 2012, 12:47:21 am »

Your problem is probably that you are so small.  Expand and you will dillute your vassals vote, making the elections easier to control.  Other then that, just remember to keep relations up.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: April 27, 2012, 04:36:22 am »

Revoke everything. You should almost always have your maximum demesne size.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: April 27, 2012, 04:44:46 am »

GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: April 27, 2012, 04:46:00 am »

I only have one province
Revoke the cities, revoke the horses, gotta revoke 'em all.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: April 27, 2012, 05:00:49 am »

If you are low on cash, imprisoning and banishing a rich mayor can be a great idea. It just saved my kingdom when Hungary attacked me (Croatia).
It can be disastrous if your kingdom isn't very stable though, as your vassals won't like it.

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: April 27, 2012, 08:32:58 am »

I was Duke of Galich, Kiev, Novgorod, Tver, etc. etc. etc. etc.

After a civil war against Russia, where my Dukedom had over 50% of Russia's manpower, I became king.
Afterword, I gave away all of my provinces and dukedoms until I was left with only the county of Vitebsk.
This made things as stable as I could. The previous king rebelled and I beat him down and took Pereyaslavl Zalessky.
Afterword, I assaulted the pagans to the north and gained the region Karelia. What I have of it is now my personal demesne, but I can't tax it or gain any manpower because it's pagan and wrong culture!

Is there any way to speed up culture/religious conversion? I know I can use my chaplain to do religious, but I'm kinda trying to convert the eastern part of the kingdom, too.
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: April 27, 2012, 09:09:14 am »

Cultural spread works via two methods:
1. Spread from neighbouring culture provinces. If a province is ruled by a russian culture ruler, and borders a province of russian culture, then there's an event with a pretty small chance of happening (a MTTH of 100 years) but this chance can be increased significantly by having high stewardship, or decreased significantly by low stewardship.
2. Spread to wrong-religion provinces. If a province is of a different religion group and culture than the ruler, then it's able to change culture without bordering a province as in the first method. If it does border a correct-culture province, then this method does not work. Stewardship has the same effect as in method one.
Therefore, the optimal way of spreading culture is to appoint high-stewardship rulers to wrong-culture regions, while only converting the religion of provinces which have a correct-culture border.

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: April 27, 2012, 11:32:58 am »

Alright, I'm mostly afraid of any mongols that might head up this way.

I haven't played CK2 long enough for the invasion, but I'm hoping that a united Kingdom of Rus can hold them off and as out of Europe as possible.
On a separate note, if it weren't for a large civil war in Cuman lands, I would have never have just obtained Sarkel. :B

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #759 on: April 27, 2012, 11:43:07 am »

I was Duke of Galich, Kiev, Novgorod, Tver, etc. etc. etc. etc.

After a civil war against Russia, where my Dukedom had over 50% of Russia's manpower, I became king.
Afterword, I gave away all of my provinces and dukedoms until I was left with only the county of Vitebsk.
This made things as stable as I could. The previous king rebelled and I beat him down and took Pereyaslavl Zalessky.
Afterword, I assaulted the pagans to the north and gained the region Karelia. What I have of it is now my personal demesne, but I can't tax it or gain any manpower because it's pagan and wrong culture!

Is there any way to speed up culture/religious conversion? I know I can use my chaplain to do religious, but I'm kinda trying to convert the eastern part of the kingdom, too.

Don't give away your taxable provinces unless you've reached your maximum demesne size already. There are plenty of other ways to placate your minions - and if placating them doesn't work, with a large enough demesne you can just beat them into submission and toss them into jail.

What you SHOULD have done is keep your provinces, then grabbed those crappy pagan ones (most of the Scandinavian ones really are quite crappy) and distributed them to NEW vassals. Giving your current vassals more land generally isn't a good idea either, because the more powerful an individual vassal is, the more trouble they'll be if they rebel. You want the rich, fertile heartlands firmly under your control.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 11:45:31 am by Lord Dullard »

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: April 27, 2012, 02:07:33 pm »

Unfortunately, all of my nice cities were in different duchies and I couldn't figure out how to give duchies away without giving away the whole thing. Upsettedness about holding elector titles and too many duchies forced my hand, I felt. The duchies wouldn't show up unless I clicked to give lesser titles, too. I think, looking back on it, that I should have given a county and then seen if I could give the title to that vassal after he had land.

I've already decided that the first time Kiev shows itself as a traitor, I'm taking the city back.  Same for Novgorod, Turov, and Chernigov.

Slightly amusing: I may have to go to war with Poland soon. The duke of Vitebsk is the new Polish king and took his lands with him. The only thing staying my hand is the fact that they're my only remaining allies. Of course, this will be the second generation of Rurikoviches in Poland, so I wonder if it will one day become Russian Orthodox.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: April 27, 2012, 02:12:40 pm »

Give a bunch of counties to random dudes, except the counties you want to keep. Then select one of the more content, ones who like you more in that duchy-region, and give him the duchy. The counts that are in that duchy region will become his vassals, and he doesn't get any counties except the one he already had, so the counties that you control will stay in your control. So you retain the counties you wanted, and with the duke being all content and lovey over you, he'll be less likely to revolt.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #762 on: April 27, 2012, 03:19:55 pm »

Yep, you can do that. Of course if his heir turns out to be ambitious or envious (or both) you may have problems. Especially if you own counties in his duchy and he gets the 'desires the county of blahblah penalty'.

What I do frequently in situations where I want to keep counties in a rich duchy without taking the 'too many held duchies' penalty is this: I find a male character in my realm, usually a bit older (45-50, but this depends on the circumstances - for instance, if your ruler is young and/or it'll be many years before the county becomes productive due to conqueror penalties, I may choose a younger individual) who has the Celibate and Content traits. If I can't find one with both, I go with just Celibate. If I can't find somebody matching these criteria at all in my realm, I just invite somebody from another. I then arrange this loyal old celibate character into a marriage with a celibate woman (a bit younger than him, preferably, so she will be likely to outlive him) and then give him the county and duchy I want to get rid of (keeping the rest for myself). He'll usually be happy because of his Content trait in spite of the penalties from you holding the other counties, but if you're worried about that, just give him a gift of 20.0 gold before appointing him to further placate him. You now have a happy vassal who will never produce any children and will probably die in 10-20 years, giving you plenty of time to figure out what you want to do with that piece of land. And when that time's up, you can just repeat the process as necessary, of course.

I actually frequently appoint Celibate men to counts in counties that I want to inherit later, once the religious/foreign culture conqueror penalties have worn off. That way I can just give away my old (poorer) counties once they croak with no heirs, and take the nice, shiny new rich ones for myself.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 03:21:32 pm by Lord Dullard »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: April 27, 2012, 03:45:01 pm »

I give everything to the church.

Piety and gold, it's all mine.

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: April 28, 2012, 05:28:50 pm »

I have a question about something that just happened in my game.

First of all, my gender law is set to agnatic primogeniture. So my oldest son will inherit all of my titles. I have two sons and a daughter. Son 'A' is the eldest son and has been my heir up to this point. I've been preparing him to take over by raising his prestige and finding him a wife. Son 'B' was a pretender and hates my guts. I decided to make him a court jester, and after the "pissed off at the jester" event, I decided to imprison him. As soon as he was imprisoned he became the new heir.. I don't understand this. He's not the oldest son, and the only thing that changed between then and now was his clowning and imprisonment.

Can somebody explain this? I might be leaving out more details, I'll provide them if necessary.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 1002