Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 410 411 [412] 413 414 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2091938 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #6165 on: October 11, 2014, 10:58:55 pm »

I'm just talking about how insane, totally indecipherable successions are realistic, not the instant emperor deal.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6166 on: October 11, 2014, 11:27:42 pm »

Quote from: Always Relevant Pratchett
The only thing known to go faster than ordinary light is monarchy, according to the philosopher Ly Tin Wheedle. He reasoned like this: you can't have more than one king, and tradition demands that there is no gap between kings, so when a king dies the succession must therefore pass to the heir instantaneously. Presumably, he said, there must be some elementary particles -- kingons, or possibly queons -- that do this job, but of course succession sometimes fails if, in mid-flight, they strike an anti-particle, or republicon. His ambitious plans to use his discovery to send messages, involving the careful torturing of a small king in order to modulate the signal, were never fully expanded because, at that point, the bar closed.

I think the new patch should address some of the problems with that scenario: massive inheritance puts you over the vassal limit and so the foreign dukes half-way across the world refuse to swear allegiance.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6167 on: October 12, 2014, 01:41:19 am »

So the year is 1230. I'm the Empire of Alba, and started as a count in Dublin. Currently I control Ireland, Wales, England, Brittany, a small section of Scotland (which I took from Norway), and a bit more of France near Brittany. The HRE is getting ridiculously huge and now they're right next to my land, and HRE dukes keep trying to forge claims on my stuff.

Screenshot of map of mostly western europe, on steam.

They were my only ally, but then they declared war on "Castille," which held the only remaining non-HRE French territories left, besides my own, which were all just east of mine. Not wanting to lose them, I set a claimant up as King of Wales and pressed his claim on Castille myself. This put us in a state of hostilities, and our armies clashed, and we both lost a lot of troops. In the end, they brought in an army about 70% the size of mine, which had the remarkable ability to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. I lost against that army in each battle and in the second or third one they eradicated my entire army. I brought in reinforcements, and tried to resume taking Castillian stuff, but it was too late: The HRE had gotten ahead of me, and they hit 100% soon after, and took all of Castille.

There's no war between us now, but I don't see them listed in my alliances anymore either, and they've still got more troops than me and there's no more buffer zone. Either I need to eat someone else, or ally with someone else, or I need a way to break up the HRE into bite-sized chunks... Of course, I may be glad they're this huge if the khans become a problem in the future. The Ilkhanate already has territory over in Persia.

Castille, by the way, was ruled by the King of England when I invaded England some time ago. After that, Castille was all that was left - if you include his territories in France, which were larger and more continuous than his territories in Spain, but apparently not kingdomy enough.

I went from Ireland to Brittany and siezed most of France with holy wars (Note to self: Don't be a heretic in CK2, ever, well, unless you're the HRE with 50,000 troops), then I acquired most of wales, and then I got the Pope to authorize an invasion of England because reasons, ho ho ho. Alas, I won rather quickly and failed to remove the english nobility, so they were not amused at being conquered, and when I formed the Empire, they attempted to vote me off the island (or at least attempted to vote for an english heir).

Sadly, the Pope excommunicated me during the invasion of England (at the request of one of my Welsh vassals, the jerk). I solved that problem by switching to free investiture in Brittany - I'd already moved my primary title to Brittany and my capital into France (Poiters?) - and then appointing an antipope. I later accidentally "forcibly deposed" my antipope when I gave the province he was in to someone, and since the real pope still hated my guts, I had him assassinated. The next pope liked me a lot better. Of course, now I think there's another pope and I have another emperor entirely (and this emperor has mostly been concerned with trying to rein in the english nobility, and by that I mean taking titles away from dukes when they are dumb enough to do a plot and get caught at it). I also lost the english throne to the family idiot because it was stuck on hereditaryness (and still is) instead of elective, and had to provoke him into rebellion to get it back. This was still some time ago. I'm beginning to wonder if maybe I should have only made one kingdom, and no empire. It would probably have been simpler to manage. Not sure if I'd be able to join the HRE and fight other vassals or not if I did that, though. Right now my only option is to fight the entire thing, as far as I can tell.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6168 on: October 12, 2014, 04:36:08 am »

Or try to destabilize it by repeated assassinations. I guess you can expect at least one big rebellions each time there is a succession, so repeatedly murdering the HRE is bound to destabilize the Empire.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6169 on: October 12, 2014, 10:54:52 am »

I think you can destroy your kingdom titles and then re-form them, in which case they'll take the inheritance law of your empire.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6170 on: October 12, 2014, 12:30:35 pm »

Hmm, thanks.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6171 on: October 12, 2014, 01:41:18 pm »

I think you can destroy your kingdom titles and then re-form them, in which case they'll take the inheritance law of your empire.
You can destroy them but
Not if it's gavelkind
Big opinion malus to anyone owning a holding in the dejure title that was destroyed (-100 for a kingdom title ?)

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6172 on: October 13, 2014, 08:57:17 am »

If you've got a big family you should marry them to heirs to locations in the HRE whenever you see them. I think dynasty members tend to vote and (sometimes) fight for each other, or at least that would explain how I keep having distant descendents of my original character become H.R. Emperors while I toil away as a count trying to wrest a duchy from my neighbors.

I marry all dynasty daughters matrilineal. I have been trying some of the Pagan religions, so even distant relatives who are unimportant yet within marrying distance find themselves sent off to marry title holding priests so their offspring are eligible for marrying heirs of barons and counts due to being related to a title holder. A bonus is that once their priest parent dies they usually will accept an invitation to your court as the new court is owned by a randomly generated priest character. I think the game still considers them a relative of a priest even after that priest dies but I'm not sure. At least it's a way to marry Count's daughters matrilinealy without taking a prestige penalty. I don't think Pagan priests marry unless the player offers to marry someone to them so they are always open.

If your chancellor isn't busy you could sit him in the capital of the HRE. A few patches and expansions ago the mongol hordes went around the scattered counties making up my Eastern realm when I sent the chancellor to talk to the Khan that bordered me along with 20 gold as he showed up with no money and thus was easy to bribe.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 09:27:49 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6173 on: October 13, 2014, 10:35:18 am »

We had that ERE succession game that kinda died. Maybe you could grab the save and revive it?
Ooh, I want in on this. Send me the save (and the thread link, in case there's more than one).
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6175 on: October 14, 2014, 09:40:21 am »

You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6176 on: October 14, 2014, 01:03:23 pm »

Hmm....new patch seems to have broken save compatibility. :(

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6177 on: October 14, 2014, 01:08:46 pm »

Hmm....new patch seems to have broken save compatibility. :(

Did it? Dang. I put my last game on hold because I became regent of the emperor and I wanted to play around with the new regency mechanics.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6178 on: October 14, 2014, 01:12:55 pm »

Yep, it happens.  I'd imagine that cutting all of the tribal tags alone would have been enough to do a number on them, and any previous-version imported save would have stumbled on the absence of tribal holdings.  The extensive changes to the legal system probably would have made any save-shift weird, and though minor by comparison, the vassal limit would have threatened quite a few games.  Thankfully, I think I switched my copy of the game to not update automatically before the new patch came out, but I do hope they do another "beta" branch to permit users to revert to the previous version, for the sake of those who didn't catch it in time. 

Spoiler: Full Change-log (click to show/hide)

- Wars can no longer be won before a major battle has taken place or 3 years have passed
Hmmmm.  "Major" being defined as...

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6179 on: October 14, 2014, 01:14:01 pm »

Well, doesn't look to have done it with all saves. But I had just started an Indian game the other day, and all my saves for it crash when they load. I was able to load an old Khazar game though. Strange.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 410 411 [412] 413 414 ... 1002