Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 392 393 [394] 395 396 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2092785 times)

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #5895 on: August 14, 2014, 09:24:44 am »

I doubt that they'll make playable adventurers. Maybe playable theocracies? Whatever it is, it should be something meaty, the last DLC was in March, was it not?

Playable theocracies seems highly unlikely.  Most Christian priesthoods of that era require vows of celibacy.  This is a dynasty simulator, not a nation simulator. Theocracies aren't going to happen barring a major shift in gameplay.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5896 on: August 14, 2014, 09:25:43 am »

Playable landless characters would basically eliminate any risk of game over, unless your entire dinasty is eradicated.
You say this like this is a bad thing. How many times does the average player even keep playing until game over instead of restarting? It would actually be awesome to be a landless claimant.
Well that would mean either:
a)very boring gameplay as a landless char.
b)more events for landless chars and a CPU upgrade for you.
d)evens only for landless players, prompting a resurgence of "AI cheats by SECRETLY avoiding all shity events (rage!)" threads.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5897 on: August 14, 2014, 09:30:32 am »

Playable landless characters would basically eliminate any risk of game over, unless your entire dinasty is eradicated.

Might be difficult to reach a hard game over, but what could you do as a landless character with no gold and no income? Plotting is all that comes to mind, but it's only feasible if the character you end up with has reasonably good Intrigue. Also, in most realms, being a woman would make it specially difficult to accomplish anything. There would need to be a host of new mechanics to make courtiers actually playable: abundant plot options, events, unique diplomacy, ways to make money legally. Enough to make up for missing out on most other mechanics. A tricky proposition.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5898 on: August 14, 2014, 09:52:46 am »

I doubt that they'll make playable adventurers. Maybe playable theocracies? Whatever it is, it should be something meaty, the last DLC was in March, was it not?

Playable theocracies seems highly unlikely.  Most Christian priesthoods of that era require vows of celibacy.  This is a dynasty simulator, not a nation simulator. Theocracies aren't going to happen barring a major shift in gameplay.
I still want my theocracy DLC with your "dynasty" being your Order, like the Benedictine monks, and your "heirs" are people sent to your theocracy to be educated, like the second sons of kings and such. Bascially, you initiate people into your order, and that adds a second "dynasty" tag to their profile sheet.

And new Orders are created when you create a new county-or-higher level theocracy, named after either a famously pious member of your house (if you make one of your dynasty the first bishop) or named after the first dude (if random/not important house). Lords from all over the realm or world-of-that-religion would send their sons or daughters to be educated, and depending on what religion it is (like Fraticelli has women bishops) then the sons or daughters become the "Heirs" to the bishopric. You would also be able to bribe a king into sending a particularly lucrative son to your order.

Succession would be like Republics, i.e. voted on by the clergy, not guaranteed that you would win but that's okay, you'll still have things to do in your Order House. I'm not sure what game-play the theocracies would have to differentiate them from republics and feudal holdings, like what you can do besides conquer land. All I thought of was how to make it still the same game, i.e. keep your heirs alive and don't lose the land or yer fucked.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5899 on: August 14, 2014, 12:05:40 pm »

I still want my theocracy DLC with your "dynasty" being your Order, like the Benedictine monks, and your "heirs" are people sent to your theocracy to be educated, like the second sons of kings and such. Bascially, you initiate people into your order, and that adds a second "dynasty" tag to their profile sheet.

And new Orders are created when you create a new county-or-higher level theocracy, named after either a famously pious member of your house (if you make one of your dynasty the first bishop) or named after the first dude (if random/not important house). Lords from all over the realm or world-of-that-religion would send their sons or daughters to be educated, and depending on what religion it is (like Fraticelli has women bishops) then the sons or daughters become the "Heirs" to the bishopric. You would also be able to bribe a king into sending a particularly lucrative son to your order.

Succession would be like Republics, i.e. voted on by the clergy, not guaranteed that you would win but that's okay, you'll still have things to do in your Order House. I'm not sure what game-play the theocracies would have to differentiate them from republics and feudal holdings, like what you can do besides conquer land. All I thought of was how to make it still the same game, i.e. keep your heirs alive and don't lose the land or yer fucked.
This could be done, in a way, with an order trait, instead of a second dinasty.

If I remember right, in the AGOT mod, the night's watch works more or less like that, and even allows you to keep playing if your heir is of another dinasty. I guess the republic election (or the curia election, which would suit it more) could be adapted to it.

Still, paradox claims it's the biggest expansion yet, so there must be more than just shifting the timeline backwards. And if not theocracies, holy orders would be nice.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #5900 on: August 14, 2014, 12:37:51 pm »

I had the earlier start date among what I thought the DLC could be. My first thought was "now it's going to be even harder not to WC before the end".
It can't be just that.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5901 on: August 14, 2014, 12:39:41 pm »

I had the earlier start date among what I thought the DLC could be. My first thought was "now it's going to be even harder not to WC before the end".
It can't be just that.
Guess we'll find out in... 1 hour and 20 minutes, as of this post.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5902 on: August 14, 2014, 02:14:26 pm »

Yeeeeep Charlemagne confirmed.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5903 on: August 14, 2014, 02:57:29 pm »

Yeeeeep Charlemagne confirmed.
is there a log of this? I missed it :(
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 02:59:23 pm by a1s »
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5904 on: August 14, 2014, 03:49:50 pm »

the twitch channel has it, but its really just a trailer and a single powerpoint slide.. the only things confirmed are:
-new start date: 769 [when he becomes king of franks[france]]
-customizable empires/kingdoms [hopefully this is more then just name/flag]
-bunch of story events about his rise, and the formation of the HRE [since this is such a big point, possibly more epic than a normal large event chain].

Everything else is still unannounced/unmentioned. I assume that its probly just going to lock those things to the dlc, but then have the patch that comes with it bring some really really cool things... Mostly because it doesn't make any sense to do this without improving empires [and theres lots of stuff like cadet branches that are possibilities as well], less likely are things like dealing with the scism.. but who knows.

More info tomorrow [claims the twitter], although it might just be a rehash.

Chosrau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5905 on: August 14, 2014, 03:58:13 pm »

Customizable Kingdoms/Empire seems to mean that once you have any 2 duchies you can create a kingdom and once you have any 2 kingdoms you can create an empire. Atleast thats what I got from the Q&A afterwards.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #5906 on: August 14, 2014, 04:45:56 pm »

Playable non-landed characters could have some kind of "influence" stat that determines their ability to ever influence politics.  It drops to 0, your line is doomed to obscurity forever and you lose.

Being a claimant or an influential courtier (like being on the council, having honorary titles, or leading armies), or just doing things in general would raise it, while time and not having claims would lower it.  Maybe you could join/form a mercenary group or holy order and try to become important that way.

Actually now that I think about it, the influence stat could just be prestige.  No need for a separate stat.  This would also reduce the processing load, as only a few landless characters would need to be simulated in detail.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5907 on: August 14, 2014, 04:52:19 pm »

So new start date.. if it doesn't have built-in break-france events.. will just be BBB from the start. :/ Especially since it'll be 40+ years of Charlemange from the beginning with the strongest power base in the world. I wouldn't be surprised if he has 10's+ across the board, as well.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 04:54:30 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5908 on: August 14, 2014, 05:01:42 pm »

So new start date.. if it doesn't have built-in break-france events.. will just be BBB from the start. :/ Especially since it'll be 40+ years of Charlemange from the beginning with the strongest power base in the world. I wouldn't be surprised if he has 10's+ across the board, as well.
But less catholics.  With a bit of randomness and gavelkind succession . . . I wouldnt be suprised if its 40 years followed by 10 of infighting.  It could be fun.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5909 on: August 14, 2014, 05:02:59 pm »

I'm just hoping there's atleast an event-breakup after 810
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian
Pages: 1 ... 392 393 [394] 395 396 ... 1002