Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 369 370 [371] 372 373 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2094160 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #5550 on: June 12, 2014, 08:11:34 am »

Sometime, a character will be leading a unit within the flank even if he's not leading the flank.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5551 on: June 12, 2014, 10:33:47 am »

Sometime, a character will be leading a unit within the flank even if he's not leading the flank.
Yup, and then you won't know about it until he gets clonked on the head.

That is what thou get for min/maxing young grasshopper. Dont do the crime if ya cant do the time
I'm still trying to learn the ins and outs of the game. I specifically play on Ironman so I can't straight up cheat myself into oblivion as I tend to do whenever something bad happens.
I min/max because I want a frikkin chance to start learnin shit. ITS A LEGITIMATE STRATEGY! :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5552 on: June 12, 2014, 10:35:04 am »

Yeah I have found that when you merge armies it merges the leaders into it at well...you just can't see it...

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5553 on: June 12, 2014, 10:36:51 am »

If you want to make sure, you can see it by looking at the organizing screen. Or just look if your character is leading troops to make sure (the background of his picture becomes an encampment).

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #5554 on: June 12, 2014, 12:27:39 pm »

If you raised your own levies its pretty much guaranteed your character will be leading one of them IME.  If you want to be safe only raise your vassal levies unless you need the extra troops (I think you can also go through your troops and manually stop leading your levies).
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5555 on: June 12, 2014, 12:44:48 pm »

I generally just mash resign under the flank commanders.  It gets rid of all the various guys buried under the flank commander.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5556 on: June 12, 2014, 01:48:54 pm »

Even if you're not leading a flank, you can get wounded or killed in battle. Had a 90 yr old guy die in battle without being commander. He was in tip top shape before taking an axe in the skull.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #5557 on: June 12, 2014, 01:54:48 pm »

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

I was doing SOOO WELL and then FUCKING BUGS RUIN MAH GAME YOU BASTARD SHITFUCKS!

Ugh, so playing Elder Kings as the classic "100 learning super maimed min/maxed dude" and have taken over the Colovian Estates, and have managed to absorb Skingrad into that as well as much of Kvatch. I'm Immortal and most of my mins have been fixed with magic.

But then a stupid bug somehow showed my marshal leading an army when somefuckinghow my character was actually the one doing so and I got clonked on the head really hard.

Now I'm not sure if that's what caused this second, game breaking asshole of a bug, but basically I can now no longer cast spells.
I was trying to fix said cracked skull with regenerate body, and then heal wounds, but after I had nothing to select on heal wounds I clicked the "I have no need for this spell" button, and now apparently my character is forever mislisted as "casting spell", thus preventing me from casting any other spells, ever.

So my character based solely around casting spells, can't cast any spells because of asshole bugs. And its Ironman so no fixing this either  :'(

Funny, the exact same thing happened to me on a different playthough. Heal wounds seems to be buggy like that. Serves us right for relying on Autosave, I suppose.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5558 on: June 12, 2014, 02:38:06 pm »

Anyone starting as viking in the British Isles should start by invading Ireland. All those little counts mean you can abuse the county conquest CB.

Somehow that never works out for me. I always end up with giant Irish Rebel Doomstacks. For whatever reason I'm much more successful if I concentrate on Scotland or England/Wales first.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5559 on: June 12, 2014, 02:39:45 pm »

So, is India still lame as hell and filled with rebels? Haven't played in a while.

feralferret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5560 on: June 12, 2014, 05:11:27 pm »

So, is India still lame as hell and filled with rebels? Haven't played in a while.

I think I must have started on RoI after the bugs were fixed, because I haven't noticed very many rebellions in India during my playthrough. There have been a few easily crushed peasant revolts but nothing major. So far I'm really enjoying my stint as the glorious Maharajah of Maharastra (sp?). Playing vanilla ironman.

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm actually Korbac! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5561 on: June 12, 2014, 05:47:12 pm »

Definitely - far less death cults / religious turmoil!
I'm Korbac. Not sure what happened to that account.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5562 on: June 12, 2014, 06:18:23 pm »

Just encountered an adventuring party.  Did I not see them coming, or did 30K adventurers spawn literally on top of my army - which isn't even in my territory??

There's a fleet of boats off the shore but no "amphibious assault" penalty.  Looks like my entire army is getting telefragged by a force I would need mercenaries to deal with *anyway*.

Honestly... I have 66% of Brittania for 3K Demesne levies and 6K vassal levies, plus 4.5K retinue armies.  How am I supposed to fight off 30K with 14.5K when they spawn on top of me in enemy territory??

... It's only 904 so there are only 9K of mercenaries in existence, in four companies, only 2 of which are in a shape to hire.  This is utterly ridiculous.  It's a good thing I have pagan attrition - wait nevermind, my lands are still Catholic.  At least the catholic and cultural uprisings are "only" as large as my entire army.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5563 on: June 12, 2014, 06:40:43 pm »

You get plenty of warning when an adventurer is massing forces against you.

First you get the initial pop up window saying just that. In fact, the only choice available for that pop up is "I'm thinking... assassins."

Then you get one of the notice icons (it has the same as a vassal threat icon, the burning fist thing), and if you click on it it'll show you who exactly the adventurer is. So you know... anytime you want to get rid of him. This icon remains the entire time unless you forcefully remove it.

A few months later, you'll get another pop up saying so-and-so dude managed to raise his army and is coming for you. At this point he will spawn with his troops and fleet at his starting base. Then he will sail to you and land with his armies. He does get the amphibious penalty as well as the 50% reduction to the green bar thing.

If you can't deal with him, just give him what he wants, kill him, then take the lands back.

Edit: It used to be you could also just try to assassinate him if he managed to raise the army, but I think they changed that as you can't plot to kill rebels and adventurers now. Only before they manage to create the army or after.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5564 on: June 12, 2014, 07:30:26 pm »

Yeah, the dialog two years ago did suggest an "unfortunate accidents".  I don't generally use assassins (20% chance of success and 50% of implicating me in exchange for a literal king's ransom in gold?)  but they seem to be the only option other than surrender.  I expected an army I could possibly defeat with mercenaries, and I expected to see it coming.  Which I did not...

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=270283673

They didn't land in Scotland, they landed on top of me on the day after they declared war (which was the first popup I got since the initial warning, though there was a warning icon at the top).  I admit I was distracted, but look:  They attacked my army passing through Jorvik the day after declaring war.  They didn't have time to disembark, much less march from Skotland (which I assume would be their "base").

How could they possibly be attacking my army a day after declaring war, without even an amphibious assault malus?  I don't see any way without them spawning on top.  Surely Jorvik isn't his "base", either, because it's outside Scotland and isn't on his long list of claims... Oh, wait, his (NORSE/NORSE) wife has a weak claim on it.  He married one of my cousin's daughters.  How... how did he even, she's Norse and he's Catholic!  And even so, why would he teleport to shore here???  HE ISN'T EVEN SCOTTISH HE'S IRISH AARRAGGAH

Okay that's enough ranting  :D  What can I do?  If I can form the kingdoms of Ireland and/or Wales, I assume forming them would allow me to keep them.  If I make Ireland and declare it my primary title, do I get to keep everything but de-jure Scotland?  Somehow I doubt that's even possible during wartime.

My best bet is probably to surrender now before my army is obliterated.  I'll be a mere Jarl of Moray, and I'll probably lose my precious capital of Gowrie which I've been pouring raid-money into, but maybe my kingdom will be intact and I'll be a vassal with 4.5K retinues, biding my time until he squanders his 30K undead.  Maybe if I move the capital to Galloway first, it'll stay the capital of Scotland and I'll get to keep Gowrie!

I'm worried that Wales and Ireland and various English counties will fracture off, but maybe not.  I *think* everyone who owns land there also owns land in Scotland, so they should remain vassals of the new kingdom.  Ah well... being a vassal could be fun.

(but this mechanic is still utterly broken and they did telefrag me, just saying.)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 369 370 [371] 372 373 ... 1002