Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 368 369 [370] 371 372 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2094205 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #5535 on: June 11, 2014, 02:48:24 pm »

How's Sengoku gameplay wise?
I tend to hear "A more combat centric CK2". How's the combat system?
It's filled with indistinguishable Japanese people.

Combat-wise it's the same as CK2 but with less unit types.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #5536 on: June 11, 2014, 02:54:40 pm »

Elder Kings mod is hilarious. I started as a king of Alinor that I ruler designed to hell and back with 50 INT and Master Mage education, converted all the lords of the land to Necromancy Cult with some aid from Daedric Secret Police, became immortal, then over the years Attractive, Strong and Agile as well, making my character so attractive that even when I raided the Wood Elves the ladies had the hots for him when they were imprisoned.

And now, to boot, he wishes to become a warlord, so CBs errywhere!
Well duh. Starting as King of Alinor is like starting a vanilla game as an Emperor or King of France. You have to try not to win in order to have a challenge. Only thing more OP is to start as the King of

Now starting as a Breton petty king, or an Argonian count...*that* can be fun.

King of what? Last time there wasn't a kingdom of Candleja

E: Also, it's not that obvious - I started out with pretty much ALL my vassals at -100 because of the traits I had (and religion), so I had to fight several civil wars at once. What actually saved me was completely unrelated to my position, namely my OP as fuck Learning stat I Ruler Designed in, since I had the absolute maximum, giving me 10 Magicka per year - which translates to free 1000 troops per year, or a chance of several thousand troops every three years.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 02:58:14 pm by scrdest »
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5537 on: June 11, 2014, 03:22:41 pm »

It's filled with indistinguishable Japanese people.

Combat-wise it's the same as CK2 but with less unit types.
First part is half of the charm, while the second part is rather offputting.
I'll get it anyway since it's so cheap and not riddled with DLC.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5538 on: June 11, 2014, 03:38:42 pm »

I can't remember much of it myself, but I think it has a demo.
Love, scriver~

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #5539 on: June 11, 2014, 04:20:24 pm »

Elder Kings mod is hilarious. I started as a king of Alinor that I ruler designed to hell and back with 50 INT and Master Mage education, converted all the lords of the land to Necromancy Cult with some aid from Daedric Secret Police, became immortal, then over the years Attractive, Strong and Agile as well, making my character so attractive that even when I raided the Wood Elves the ladies had the hots for him when they were imprisoned.

Well duh. Starting as King of Alinor is like starting a vanilla game as an Emperor or King of France. You have to try not to win in order to have a challenge. Only thing more OP is to start as the King of

I tried it out Yesterday as King of Rimmen.  It looked like it was going to be easy, my main rivals were the High King and a large republic duchy, and they were in a civil war/ignored me respectively.  Add that to my ability to declare conquest wars in my own county and my decent magic and things were nice, I almost doubled the size of my realm by conquering various minors.

Unbeknownst to me High Kings get some sort of subjugation CB, or the civil war was to press a nearby rulers claim, but either way the civil war ended and the new High King gained about 6 provinces without me noticing.  Pretty soon its going to be down to me, the republic, and the High King, with the HK having the majority of the land and the republic having the majority of the money.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5540 on: June 11, 2014, 05:14:41 pm »

I understood it to be more like a "CK2 tech demo"...essentially a practice run before they shipped CK2 out with deeper and more refined mechanics
^ This.

It's not very fun.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5541 on: June 11, 2014, 05:50:33 pm »

I'm also having a Casus Belli issue (too used to playing pagans).  I'm currently the catholic Grand Mayor of Gotland, vassal of Sweden, medium crown authority in 1089.  To the SE are Romuvas, and the NE are Suomenuskos, and there are even some Norse counties left to the north, but I can't holy war any of them.  Says I don't have a valid casus belli...

Not a big deal since I'm trying to play nice anyway, but it's weird that I can't holy war these pagans.  When I get a chance I'll try putting a trade port in a nearby non-Swedish Suomenusko county and see if I can City Conquest it then.  (A lot of the Swedish coastal counties didn't have any cities, but the problem occured on Oland which does.)

I think you have to border a target county to holy war for possession of it. I'm not 100% sure though.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5542 on: June 11, 2014, 06:31:07 pm »

I tried it out Yesterday as King of Rimmen.  It looked like it was going to be easy, my main rivals were the High King and a large republic duchy, and they were in a civil war/ignored me respectively.  Add that to my ability to declare conquest wars in my own county and my decent magic and things were nice, I almost doubled the size of my realm by conquering various minors.

Unbeknownst to me High Kings get some sort of subjugation CB, or the civil war was to press a nearby rulers claim, but either way the civil war ended and the new High King gained about 6 provinces without me noticing.  Pretty soon its going to be down to me, the republic, and the High King, with the HK having the majority of the land and the republic having the majority of the money.
Yes, obtaining a High Kingship gives you a subjugation CB over the de jure territory of the High Kingdom. It also destroys de jure kingdom titles within the High Kingdom (with the exception maybe of Alinor, Elsweyr and Morrowwind because they start with a High King).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5543 on: June 12, 2014, 01:30:43 am »

Tried an 866 start with Ivar the Boneless.  Much more complicated than I expected.  The initial prepared invasions were easy with all the event troops, sure, but they only got me 2-county East Anglia and like 3 counties in Skotland.  I chose the ambition to become King of Skotland because, with 4000 remaining event troops, surely I could oust the puny catholic king no problem.

What I didn't realize was:
  • Subjugation casus belli only works against other pagans, so I could only grab one county at a time via Conquest
  • "Cannot Usurp the sole primary title off a ruler of another religion who still holds land within it"
  • Every time I took the queen's only county, she *instantly* usurped one of her vassal's counties.

"But you can't usurp counties, the concept makes no sense!"  All I know is, her brother the duke (who was King of Skotland at first, until she somehow usurped the kingdom, *which cancelled my current pagan conquest*), he had a "Usurped my title" relationship modifier with her.  I think it started at -100 and, by the end, was -250.  I could be wrong though, I was pretty distracted.

Edit: Whatever was going on, her other vassals didn't get an opinion modifier for "liege revoked someone's titles" or whatever.  I get the impression that the game just forces people to have a capital county, granting it for free from vassals' holdings.

It was a race against time, as Ivar is already in his late 40's in 866.  He starts with 4 sons, and as an unreformed Norse is of course limited to glorious gavelkind.  I actually really like gavelkind, but only for the challenge and feeling of fairness it provides.  (Plus it's a necessary evil if I want the unreformed Norse +50% to retinue size)

I only waited out one treaty, which means I broke 6-8.  The prestige loss formula is weird but I basically needed at least ~350 to break the treaty again, which I generally got through raiding the people I was supposedly at peace with.  For the last county I had to raise a runestone to my bravery for 300 prestige.  The enemy army was never any threat, it was all a matter of decorum (and my horrendous lack thereof).

(Fun trick: I accidentally disabled raider status on my army before sieging my next target county, during the raiding hostility period.  The county was occupied, which does nothing without a war.  So then I declared the war for that county, instantly had 47% warscore, and instantly demanded victory successfully.)

It all worked.  In 883, at the age of 65, I wiped out the queen's last holding.  I was able to immediately form a second duchy, then the kingdom, then the rest of the duchies (using gold from the constant pillaging).  Each of the 4 sons is receiving a duchy.  I didn't bother with the duchy of East Anglia because it's not in Skotland, but those two counties are held by de-jure duke sons now so I figure they'll stay in the realm.  Ivar managed to have 2 more sons during this campaign, they're inherity counties in my new capital duchy of Albany (I moved the capital to Gowrie, whose 4 holding slots seem to be the best Skotland has to offer).

The plan now is to raid England and Ireland for construction money until Gowrie is a beacon of culture and economic progress.  Eventually I will unite the islands into Britannia, but for this run I absolutely will not keep territory outside the de-jure empire.  I will probably want to reform the Norse religion eventually, once my retinues are at a happy size, but anything I conquer for that will be given independence (probably with a dynasty member in charge, but still).

The goal is still: To avoid getting bogged down in boring micromanagement, so that I can actually freakin finish a game - or at LEAST finally see the golden horde and aztecs.

Editedit:  I wonder if this -150 relations with all christian leaders will come back to bite me... Maybe a good thing my character's getting old (but damn, 28 martial.  Only 10 base, 18 is traits.)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 01:42:52 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5544 on: June 12, 2014, 02:16:24 am »

But what will you do once you've conquered Brittania? Just raid for 400 years?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5545 on: June 12, 2014, 03:06:01 am »

That's the idea, hopefully the years will pass quickly.  I'll also be building up my holdings and trying to advance technologically as fast as possible.

And, since the game has a way of throwing surprises whenever I have a plan, I just accidentally captured a Basque lady while raiding England.  Used concubinage to get her into my court, and now she's educating my daughters.  So there's a chance I might slowly convert my dynasty to Basque and enact Absolute Cognatic without a mod.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #5546 on: June 12, 2014, 04:42:46 am »

Funnily enough, I started as Ivar's brother, the count of Jorvik, and had little trouble forming england, then britannia.
There is so many little christian dukes (and revolts) that I could grab like four counties at a time.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5547 on: June 12, 2014, 04:44:01 am »

Anyone starting as viking in the British Isles should start by invading Ireland. All those little counts mean you can abuse the county conquest CB.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5548 on: June 12, 2014, 07:25:41 am »

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

I was doing SOOO WELL and then FUCKING BUGS RUIN MAH GAME YOU BASTARD SHITFUCKS!

Ugh, so playing Elder Kings as the classic "100 learning super maimed min/maxed dude" and have taken over the Colovian Estates, and have managed to absorb Skingrad into that as well as much of Kvatch. I'm Immortal and most of my mins have been fixed with magic.

But then a stupid bug somehow showed my marshal leading an army when somefuckinghow my character was actually the one doing so and I got clonked on the head really hard.

Now I'm not sure if that's what caused this second, game breaking asshole of a bug, but basically I can now no longer cast spells.
I was trying to fix said cracked skull with regenerate body, and then heal wounds, but after I had nothing to select on heal wounds I clicked the "I have no need for this spell" button, and now apparently my character is forever mislisted as "casting spell", thus preventing me from casting any other spells, ever.

So my character based solely around casting spells, can't cast any spells because of asshole bugs. And its Ironman so no fixing this either  :'(
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5549 on: June 12, 2014, 07:50:37 am »

That is what thou get for min/maxing young grasshopper. Dont do the crime if ya cant do the time
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.
Pages: 1 ... 368 369 [370] 371 372 ... 1002