Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 365 366 [367] 368 369 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2094257 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #5490 on: June 10, 2014, 10:23:36 am »

Quick question: I married my son to the swede princess for the strong claim, do I have to land her before pressing her claim to have her stay my vassal? I'm emperor level so I can have king vassals.
Sweden controls two norse holy sites and I have another, that would allow me to reform.
Your best bet would be to wait for them to have a kid, then kill the mother and press your grandson's claim.

This way is usually better as you're actually related to your grandson. So once you conquer the entire kingdom, you could kill off your grandson and a few other family members in line for the throne of sweden and the kingdom will become yours. I don't know if him being your grandson gives you a weak claim on the kingdom (pretty sure the answer is no) but if that was the case, you could then grant your grandson independence and invade him with your weak claim while he's still under regency.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #5491 on: June 10, 2014, 10:52:27 am »

I think I'll land her in some random county, perhaps in britanny, and then press her claim. She has a strong claim so I don't have to wait, and I don't know if a son would inherit a strong or a weak claim.
A successful claim pressing would allow me to instantly reform the faith, switch to elective succession, and put my grandson as my heir because I'm so damn young.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5492 on: June 10, 2014, 11:14:43 am »

The child would inherit a weak claim yeah.

I'm not sure how you're going to land her, seeing as you can't give land to female courtiers unless you're basque or one of the heresies.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5493 on: June 10, 2014, 11:17:11 am »

Did I mention how I love the "Claim Constantinople" decision? Not only does it mean that you can press any claim without having to bother about giving your claimants provinces or having them own land outside their de jure title, it also means that whenver you revoke a duchy/Kingdom, you can land someone in Constantinople, give him the title and revoke for them to move their capital to ther de jure land!

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5494 on: June 10, 2014, 11:24:11 am »

Seems like a pretty OCD decision. Is there any benefit to forcing a vassal to move his capital to his de jure land? I'm assuming it's because you want to make it easier to defeat him when he rebels somehow.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5495 on: June 10, 2014, 11:27:50 am »

1) It looks better.
2) Your vassals don't fight each other with de jure claim all the time. And no, Medium Crown authority doesn't help, because they just cause war via plots or whatever.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5496 on: June 10, 2014, 11:32:16 am »

I wish there was a way to automatically reposition vassals to have their de jure properties...I am OCD in that sense but its also a matter of organization...instead half the time I will have a duke of one area with land and a capital in a totally different area...gets really annoying

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5497 on: June 10, 2014, 12:19:59 pm »

I make sure duchies are in proper order for the eventual Emperorship vassal-king-ing of relatives across the lands. I sure hate when kingdom vassals are all wonky, it fucks up integration stuff.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #5498 on: June 10, 2014, 12:42:06 pm »

Maybe they could make it that when crown authority is high enough you can freely revoke counties/transfer vassalage outside of the de jure limits of someone. It would require high authority or even absolute, but that would be a step up.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Full Sig

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5499 on: June 10, 2014, 12:52:39 pm »

With Roman imperial authority you can revoke anything that you have a claim to freely. This includes any duchies and any counties that you personally have a claim on. So you can revoke a vassal's duchy, and then claim every single one of the counties in it. The only people that will get pissed off are the ones who directly controlled the lands.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #5500 on: June 10, 2014, 01:20:47 pm »

I wish there was a way to automatically reposition vassals to have their de jure properties...I am OCD in that sense but its also a matter of organization...instead half the time I will have a duke of one area with land and a capital in a totally different area...gets really annoying

The point of not being able to shift your vassals lands around easily is A a king's vassals usually had formal rights and B playing as a vassal is supposed to be a viable way to play the game, it wouldn't be if you were restricted to your de jure lands.

I find dukes to be so much better than counts :
1) They give exactly the same as duke. You'll get the same levies and same tax regardless of how many people there is in between you and the holding owner. Same if you're an emperor with kings vassals, but kings are more dangerous.

I'm not sure about this.  I just tested it by loading up a game and forming all possible kingdoms inside my empire, and my income went down.  Only by ~8% though. And my levies went up (though that's very explainable, I just gave most of the realm's levies to people who are grateful for their massive land grants, and I wasn't well loved before).
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5501 on: June 10, 2014, 01:34:13 pm »

I like forming vassal kings because it makes wars much easier.  It's a pain to have to micromanage all my vassal's levies and getting them onto boats when they are so far flung across my empire.  With vassal kings, I just have to draw them up for a handful of locations.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5502 on: June 10, 2014, 01:35:26 pm »

Yeah, Making lots of vassals is the easier option and also better for newbies / more casual players. It's also more fun if you like tonnes of internal political intrigue (as usually my best times are having awesome rivalries with annoying kings.)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5503 on: June 10, 2014, 01:36:29 pm »

I too hate it when my vassals' holdings are all wonky.  I don't mind them expanding and contracting, I just wish they were more or less contiguous...  I have a lot of trouble understanding even basic stuff like the realm of some double-duke uncle spread over bits of Scandinavia and Britain.  I wish there was a button to highlight vassal holdings in your own realm, because the little thin and thick lines just don't do it for me.  Particularly since I enjoy having large vassals (with the retinue system and mercenaries, I never seem to be in actual danger from my own vassals, and they handle a lot of the management - as they're supposed to!).

Usually results in me doing a mass-banishing to clean house, which means tedious revolt-crushing, and then I get bored and restart.  I have 360 hours on this game and I've never yet seen the golden horde or incans!  Playing raid-happy norse probably doesn't help, as it requires considerable micromanaging (in return for constant mad loot).

I finally let go of my absolute-cognatic (Better Gender Laws mod) Empire of Scandinavia because I couldn't get rid of the -50 "Wrong Gender Law" penalty, even after two generations of rulers, and even new, FEMALE, vassals were complaining.  It might be because Sweden is still agnatic-cognatic, but I can't *fix* that without having positive relations with all vassals *and* being a female ruler - and my female ruler died of stress at like 35, and her successor popped out 3 sons before any daughters.

Not sure if the mod is slightly bugged for multi-kingdom domains or what.  Ah well, this time I just started in Ironman Gotland with a simple mission:
* Stay loyal to my liege the King of Sweden as long as at all possible, ideally helping him form the Empire of Scandinavia
* Failing that, find some other liege to pledge to
* Just keep playing long enough to see the freakin invasions!  Which means not going conquest-happy.  Fingers crossed...
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 01:42:54 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #5504 on: June 10, 2014, 01:38:37 pm »

I wish there was a button to highlight vassal holdings in your own realm, because the little thin and thick lines just don't do it for me.
there's a "direct vassals" mapmode for that.
Full Sig
Pages: 1 ... 365 366 [367] 368 369 ... 1002