Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 333 334 [335] 336 337 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2091260 times)

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #5010 on: February 16, 2014, 07:05:57 pm »

The inheritance chance is easily moddable for individual traits.
And the inheritance chance varies between the traits. Most have a 15% chance of being inherited, with dwarf and inbred having 25% and ugly being 10%. It doesn't say if it is more likely for the trait to be passed on if both parents have it.

Found in /commons/crusader kings 2/common/traits/00_traits.txt

This is fabulous news. Simply up the values to more appropriate values (50% per person?) and then kaboom, Dwarf Fortress.

Would probably be imba if you did that for Quick and Genius though.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5011 on: February 16, 2014, 07:09:21 pm »

Now I want to turn that to 100% and play a game of hunting down the non-dwarves until the whole world is a dwarf. I might write a program that calculate dwarf %age in the whole population.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5012 on: February 16, 2014, 07:48:13 pm »

The game is coded so that no family can go extinct. Even if you just killed non dwarf in the world, the game will magically create people to fill the gaps of the people you've killed. You need at least 1 dwarf for every single family tree in the game so that they can be the head of the house.

You'd also have to remove every single instance of the tall gene, as it overrides dwarf.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #5013 on: February 16, 2014, 08:00:02 pm »

I was under the impression it would generate new families with random coats of arms, but already existing families like the Karlings could go extinct.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #5014 on: February 16, 2014, 08:34:58 pm »

I was under the impression it would generate new families with random coats of arms, but already existing families like the Karlings could go extinct.

+1

Also it's a bit annoying how as you 'create' barons tons of "de X" families pop up. I usually play as Wales and change them all to "af X".

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5015 on: February 16, 2014, 08:54:03 pm »

+1

Also it's a bit annoying how as you 'create' barons tons of "de X" families pop up. I usually play as Wales and change them all to "af X".
Hm, that depends on their culture. Anglo/English will get X 'of Essex', etc, Franks 'de Normandie', etc. Unless you're Norman/Frank/Occitan, there shouldn't be 'de'.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5016 on: February 16, 2014, 09:17:51 pm »

+1

That's how welsh last names work in CK2 for whatever reason. I never understood it, myself.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5017 on: February 16, 2014, 09:56:14 pm »

Nah.

Go into a random game.

Console kill every single member of the Karling line.

When you unpause there will be new, random Karlings spawning out of thin air.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5018 on: February 16, 2014, 10:42:29 pm »

Go into a random game.

Console kill every single member of the Karling line.

When you unpause there will be new, random Karlings spawning out of thin air.

As my Jewish Empire I captured the first Seljuk, killed him, then assassinated his only son. The dynasty ended there and was permanently gone.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5019 on: February 16, 2014, 10:51:28 pm »

I think smaller families can be killed off, form my small "cleansing" I did one game I think related families can promote from smaller cadet branches to the main branch if it's killed off.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5020 on: February 17, 2014, 05:05:43 pm »

A quick (in-game) question to which I really should already know the answer:

I'm a Norse count, entirely independent (started in Vestisland).  I have invaded and taken over Austisland, with an eye to creating the Duchy of Iceland (obviously).  However, I fear that my current character will die before I can scrape together the funds to make this happen.

I have many, many children.  The two county titles are due to be split one each between my heir (who I like) and his marginally younger brother (who's okay).

Question: if my current character dies before creating the Iceland title, presumably this means that I start playing as my heir and the country of Austisland will go its merry way with my brother...i.e. leaving me pretty much in the position that my father was when I started this game, as I then won't have sufficient counties to form Iceland.  Correct?  Or will my brother automatically become my vassal?  I'm assuming not, as I'm not inheriting any duke-level titles.

Followup question: assuming I'm correct in my above expectations, what can I do to best avoid this setback?  Killing the pretender via plot before my current character's death is unlikely to work, as there are many, many other sons waiting in the wings.
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5021 on: February 17, 2014, 05:09:08 pm »

Your brother will get the county and you revert to the original start yes. You can only get both if you manage to obtain the dukedom.

Basically you need money. There's lots of ways to do this, here's some:

1. Imprison and banish vassals. You get lots of gold.
2. Fight wars and win. Sell off hostages and get money from successful sieges.
3. Become Christian somehow and take a loan.
4. Prostitute your children and collect dowry.
6. Put your money councillor on collecting taxes. He increases general tax revenue and there's a small chance every month that he'll gift you a large sum of cash.
7. Set your spy on collecting info on nobles. If you're lucky you can get them to bribe you to shut up about their secrets.
8. Do viking things and raid other countries.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5022 on: February 17, 2014, 05:09:36 pm »

Interesting enough, I believe I have a free copy of the game via a gaming magazine for anyone to grab...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #5023 on: February 17, 2014, 05:12:07 pm »

Your brother won't become your vassal because you're both counts and vassals need to be lower ranked than their liege.

Might I suggest that you go loot someone else's castle to gain the funds?  Or banish your own vassals if you don't find that too gamey.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5024 on: February 17, 2014, 05:29:44 pm »

Your brother will get the county and you revert to the original start yes. You can only get both if you manage to obtain the dukedom.

Drat, thought that'd be the case - but thanks for confirming!

Basically you need money. There's lots of ways to do this, here's some:

1. Imprison and banish vassals. You get lots of gold.
        Sadly I have no vassals - I have two counties, each with just one castle, both of which I hold.
2. Fight wars and win. Sell off hostages and get money from successful sieges.
        Sounds like a plan, although my troops are taking a long, long while to reinforce.  My marshall's working on it, though.
3. Become Christian somehow and take a loan.
        I shall never bow to the infidels!   :P
4. Prostitute your children and collect dowry.
        Wait, how does this work?  Simply marrying off my sons elsewhere?  They're all around age 3 or 4, so that might be a longer-term strategy.
6. Put your money councillor on collecting taxes. He increases general tax revenue and there's a small chance every month that he'll gift you a large sum of cash.
        Already done - and while he's good, he's sadly not that good!
7. Set your spy on collecting info on nobles. If you're lucky you can get them to bribe you to shut up about their secrets.
        Hmm, might be worth a shot - assuming it works on other countries' nobles?  I have none of my own.
8. Do viking things and raid other countries.
        On it - might be able to get a few solid raids in (again) before I shuffle off this mortal coil!

Failing all that, hey, at least I'll have a family member (and a strong claim) in Austisland!
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely
Pages: 1 ... 333 334 [335] 336 337 ... 1002