Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 318 319 [320] 321 322 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2091584 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #4785 on: January 06, 2014, 01:26:25 am »

Yeah, that's basically my system.  But the guts of the mechanics are a mystery to me.

I've found that if I'm trying really hard to beat a superior force, I've probably hired mercenaries that will deplete my treasury in a year, so I'm damn well going to them.  And then paying my mercenaries with loot, ransom, and reparations.  Its a hit and miss system, but if it doesn't work not hiring the mercenaries probably would have failed too.

On the topic of the combat system, is it just me or does the AI not re-raise its levies after a long war?  As in, it'll come in with 5,000 troops in 25 units, then fighting will happen and it will get down to 500 troops in 25 units.  Its levies will refill but instead of dismissing the old levies and raising new ones it just keeps fighting with the crappy depleted stack.  This observation was made at least half a year ago so maybe the system has changed.  But I swear this is or was a thing.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4787 on: January 06, 2014, 03:53:29 am »

What happens if the papacy is your vassal and some pope from some other country wins?
You lose the pope as your vassal. Even if you somehow take over and make Rome dejure part of your lands, the papacy title will go to the new pope and his main seat will be his bishopric.
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4788 on: January 10, 2014, 08:17:04 am »

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4789 on: January 10, 2014, 08:44:39 am »

How did you do that?
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4790 on: January 10, 2014, 09:13:26 am »

How did you do that?
From the pictures, it looks like piety is the factor there. Every 10 piety seems to remove 1gold cost, so at 1000 piety it's 100 instead of 200.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4791 on: January 10, 2014, 01:20:25 pm »

That *is* interesting.  Not a huge bonus in most situations, but still...
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4792 on: January 10, 2014, 04:00:03 pm »

CK2+ Checklist:
Jewish Empire game- Nearly completely won. There is no further challenge to simply steamrolling everyone in the world. Only goal I could have in this game is the removal of Filastin and replacing that kingdom with Israel, which wouldn't do much for me since it wouldn't go to my character, being an Emperor and all.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Very fun before the easiness kicked in, though. I recommend a CK2+ Jewish game for anyone looking for some fresh air in how they play CK2. Its just the fiddly requirements for forming Israel which peeved me. Filastin (Kingdom of Jerusalem, the white one) must be titular? Why not just *unheld*?? Ugh.

Celtic rebirth- This game is getting to the 'easy mode' level of my Jewish game, except without the extremely secure holding of the main title. I started as the left half of Iceland, and after many years of marrying into Norse blood/single province conquests I secured the North Sea kingdom title. Then I took the Isle of Mann, the Pale, and it all snowballed from there:

Only one holy site is secured. Scotland's kingdom is now under my ruler, who now holds the kingdoms of North Sea, Ireland, and Scotland. Not sure what it will take for me to unlock the emperorship for Celts. I'm not sure why it'd be necessary to capture the English crown to form a historically non-lowlander empire, but hey, more land, and I needed to capture it anyways for the holy site action.

Celtic religion gets a neat version of elective called 'Tanistry'. Basically, all holders of titles two tiers down [counts in the case of kingdoms, barons in the case of duchies] can elect a leader from your dynasty. This is arguably a much less broken version of normal elective, as the voters usually have rather free will. I emphasize the rather. Sometimes they'll prefer a scheming prickhole over your genius son because they simply don't want such a strong leader. Keeps things lively, especially since I know I've got a major revolt/succession crisis on my hands very soon with my 3 kingdom titles.

THE EMPIRE-
Take a one province count in southern Italy, make him/her Roman in culture and Hellenic in religion. This was originally designed to be a test game to see what the Hellenes get in terms of decisions/etc.

Well, it's about to become much more than that. I have two choices: All-out assault on Rome/Tuscany before they attack me, or wrenching Sicily proper from the Moslims. And yes, this was about as much of a pain in the ass as you can get to start with. Catholics, Orthodox, and Sunni Muslims all want a piece.

I will be renaming Duchy/Kingdom titles to historically flavoured Imperial names. There's been very little in terms of flavor events/other neat hidden stuff, but I'll keep trekking. Might get more interesting once I retake Rome.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4793 on: January 10, 2014, 04:16:03 pm »

I agree with these sensible bay12ians, I myself successfully fielded large amount of LC in my imperial swedish armies!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4794 on: January 10, 2014, 11:37:11 pm »

Today I learned a valuable lesson while subduing scotland as King Ivar the Boneless. Even once you're king of scotland, never bother using the De Jure reason to conqure a county. Just kick the Christian bastards out and install your own vassals there. At the very end of my reign everything went to hell because the irish revolted and a bunch of my scottish vassals saw an opportunity and rebelled themselves.

Also, leave Ireland alone until you're done consolidating all of scotland. They're annoying and a war on two fronts is very difficult to fight.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4795 on: January 11, 2014, 01:12:26 am »

Yeah, never leave foreigners of any sort in any position of power if you can help it. They will almost always be the first line of rebellion.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4796 on: January 11, 2014, 06:20:16 am »

Ireland is great! Lots of small OPM, you can just take your events troops there and annex the whole of it with the conquest CB in around a couple year. Plus, you get to replace everyone with your peeps.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4797 on: January 11, 2014, 11:37:04 am »

SNIP

So I'm pretty sure the CK2 idea of "Hellenic" means Greek style, not Roman style.

Could be wrong though, but just a suggestion for why things aren't quite going the way you thought.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

bulborbish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4798 on: January 11, 2014, 11:43:50 am »

SNIP

So I'm pretty sure the CK2 idea of "Hellenic" means Greek style, not Roman style.

Could be wrong though, but just a suggestion for why things aren't quite going the way you thought.

The Hellenic Religion describes both traditional Greek and traditional Roman religion for the purposes of CK2, to aid in describing rulers in the pre-Christian era history files. Really, you are not supposed to use it.

Similarly, the Pagan religion is an abstraction to all the pagan faiths not represented for purposes of history files.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 11:47:09 am by bulborbish »

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4799 on: January 11, 2014, 12:59:21 pm »

I'm also pretty sure that there were more Pagan faiths East of Kiev that weren't "Tengriist".
Pages: 1 ... 318 319 [320] 321 322 ... 1002