Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 302 303 [304] 305 306 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2092174 times)

Xeron

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill your family
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #4545 on: December 11, 2013, 04:00:20 pm »

I don't recall it ,actually.I know my first character changed from a King to a Despot,possibly when i changed culture/religion to Greek/Norse respectively.I have a Kingdom-Tier republic led by my Wife,another kingdom ruled by my Daughter,and i believe two others ruled by loyal vassals.I reformed the Norse faith,obviously

Ah, the spoils of pasting one self's face onto women's bodies...

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4546 on: December 11, 2013, 05:04:56 pm »

So, where exactly is Baldur's Gate?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Xeron

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill your family
    • View Profile
« Reply #4547 on: December 11, 2013, 05:25:43 pm »

Well,obviously somewhere nearby the Sword Coast :P
I just renamed the random kingdoms i had to D&D places.There's even Calimshan and Amn.

Ah, the spoils of pasting one self's face onto women's bodies...

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4548 on: December 11, 2013, 08:18:20 pm »

For those looking into the genetics thing, its pretty easy to mod genetic traits to ALWAYS go to the children :P
Its also fun and completely hilarious. Half the world ends up being strong attractive geniuses, and the other half are ugly inbred morons. It gets pretty funny.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4549 on: December 12, 2013, 01:19:46 am »

Giving this game another go...

Kildare in Old Gods start.  Banish my bishop because he's 60 short of liking me, deal with the -50 tyrant modifier since my mayor still thinks I'm okay.

Notice that Ivar the Boneless seems busy with a couple wars, so I start a holy war for Dyflinn.  I want to reclaim the duchy of Tara for my kinsman, Duke of Tara, particularly since I'm the most likely heir 5 votes to 1.  This turns out to be an exceptionally bad idea as Ivar's wars suddenly end and over 7000 troops land in Ulster, approaching my 800.  I only had 90 gold, not nearly enough for mercs, and surrender.  My prestige hits -200 and piety -50 but I'm alive.

Then I wonder how long before my wife-to-be comes of age.  Oh, she's imprisoned by the germans.  I break the betrothal and marry one of the only two adult women on the list.  I greedily take the 9 wedding gold for my mercenary fund, then immediately lose 25 to a random event.

Weak claims can be pressed?  Apparently my wife has a claim on Thomond!  Their capital has about 500 troops to my 800, perfect.  I declare war.  They raise 400 men, I attack and beat them handily.  700 attackers versus 200 defenders in the siege?  I go ahead and assault.  Closest.  Siege.  Ever.  I lose over half my army but the war is won. 

I demand surrender of the county for my wife and I - my wife has has left my court?  Oh.  She's not sharing Thomond with me.  Well okay, my children will inherit it I guess.  I stand to inherit quite a bit!  I'll just build up gold for a few decades and wait for my family to die off and

Why is she supporting one of my cousins to inherit as duke?

Why has she started a *faction* for that cousin?  I have no idea who this guy is!  Her opinion of me is maxed!

Well fine I'm sure nothing will come of it - oh okay she's started a war.  Right after I got my recently-reinforced 800 men massacred fighting rebels in Scotland to support my liege.  Do I... fight her now?  Apparently!  Why is this happening??

So right now I'm crushing her 80 men with 200 and wondering why my wife, who I just handed a freakin county, is throwing her life away for *my* unlanded screwball cousin.  If she's executed for crimes against sense and decency, I hope I at least get Thomond for myself and my next wife.

Edit: I could have sworn he was unlanded, but apparently he's earl of Tyrconnel and is coming at me with 400 men.  I just don't understand why my wife is involved.  Technically they're coming after my liege-kin the Duke of Tara, but said liege has apparently decided to sit this fight out - no armies raised.

EditEdit:  Nevermind, Tyrconnel's army is just sitting there menacingly as I crush my wife.  Who just got pregnant *while we're at war*.  I assume it only became visible now, but still, I have no idea where she and I stand.

Triple edit combo: My wise and gracious lord raised 300 men and has them sitting in his capital while my cousin, vindictively, is sieging my county.  Their counties (Tyrconnel and Tyrone) are right next to each other, but instead he comes down to siege Kildare.

4xedit:  She died in childbirth.  This game, I swear.

quintupledit: My most generous and all-knowing dumbass of a liege hired 1500 mercenaries without any money to pay.  I assume that's what "Eogan of Eogan's Host has declared Eogan's Host Claim on Tara War on King Aed the Wise" means.  I'm now involved in 6 SEVEN wars and a courtier had to save me from a bear.

Every time I think I have a basic understanding of this game, I actually try to play it.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 01:44:30 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4550 on: December 12, 2013, 01:54:30 am »

CK2: The DF of grand strategy games in more ways then you'd think.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #4551 on: December 12, 2013, 02:05:37 am »

-snip-

Ireland in the Old Gods start is NOT the noob island.  If you care about 9 gold, you did not pick an easy enough character to learn the game.

I'd recommend playing as a large duke within a large Kingdom, in the default start date.  Say, a duke in France?  Should give you breathing room to learn, though it'll be dull if you don't make trouble.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4552 on: December 12, 2013, 02:57:55 am »

-snip-

Ireland in the Old Gods start is NOT the noob island.  If you care about 9 gold, you did not pick an easy enough character to learn the game.

I'd recommend playing as a large duke within a large Kingdom, in the default start date.  Say, a duke in France?  Should give you breathing room to learn, though it'll be dull if you don't make trouble.

I highly recommend Duke of Bohemia. You can fairly quickly become a vassal king, you have a lot of room for expansion at the expense of other HRE nobles, you can use HRE's Elective succession to become an Emperor and with some lucky tactical marriage you can become a king of Poland (I had this happen to me - I didn't even know the guy who became King of Poland was my son, so once I did, I Electived him to be my heir).
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Tjoh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4553 on: December 12, 2013, 04:43:05 am »

Never assault provinces unless you have about 10 times as many men as the defenders, and you can afford to lose a few of those.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4554 on: December 12, 2013, 07:55:53 am »

Or at least, castles. Cities are pretty easy to assault.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4555 on: December 12, 2013, 08:13:14 am »

Or at least, castles. Cities are pretty easy to assault.
Yes, but big cities have plenty of LI and A, which are good for skirmish, so it can incurs big losses for assault (I sometimes lost more soldiers by assaulting a 2k city than a 2k castle).

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4556 on: December 12, 2013, 08:29:28 am »

When do the Mongol shows up? As a Khazar, I've unified the Empire of Tartaria as well as some extra bits, and I'm now pushing into the Holy Land, but I'm realizing that I can barely field 20 k troops, including 4k retinues. I'm afraid I'm going to be swept aside as soon as they show up. Any advice to deal with them?

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4557 on: December 12, 2013, 08:42:47 am »

When do the Mongol shows up? As a Khazar, I've unified the Empire of Tartaria as well as some extra bits, and I'm now pushing into the Holy Land, but I'm realizing that I can barely field 20 k troops, including 4k retinues. I'm afraid I'm going to be swept aside as soon as they show up. Any advice to deal with them?

You could probably destroy the Emperor tier and swear fealty to them, then stage a coup d'etat in your favor.

Generally speaking, when you have a neighbor that's far more powerful than you and has a strong claim or Holy War CB, swearing fealty to another powerful ruler then either manipulating your way into rulership or using a moment of weakness to become independent is a pretty decent tactic. I used it to survive in TOG start as Zoroastrians.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4558 on: December 12, 2013, 09:26:10 am »

Sometime after 1200 I think? It's a bit random in that sometimes certain hordes don't show up. For example in one of my games the Ilkhannate and Golden Horde showed up but the Timurids never did.

The best way to deal with them is through subterfuge. Use assassins and spymasters to destabilize their realm. Dealing with their armies can be pretty rough though.

Your best bet is to only fight on your terms. The new choke point mechanic might be your best friend. Try defending on mountains with your best generals. The new hordes should be in smaller separate stacks than in older versions but I haven't dealt with them personally since the changes so I can't attest to the actual sizes.

To have the largest army possible you'll want to have good relations with your vassals. Also you'll want to have a large stockpile of gold for mercs and alliances with as many strong neighbours as possible. 

Getting the most out of your own holdings is different in the new version. You'll want to have as many baronies as possible in your capital duchy, with as many baronies as you can fit in your capital county. With good martial, a marshal training troops and maxed out improvements you can raise around 6k soldiers per barony in your capital county. With the mongols coming you'll probably want to prioritize the martial stat on your sons to have as many good generals as possible as well as ensuring you get the +50% more troops bonus from your holdings.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 09:28:37 am by Wiles »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4559 on: December 12, 2013, 09:33:05 am »

I'm Jewish so no ally, I got a King-level vassal so I don't want to destroy my Empire. I guess it'll be mountain and assassins. Hopefully the hordes will end up fighting each others.

Pages: 1 ... 302 303 [304] 305 306 ... 1002