Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 300 301 [302] 303 304 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2092259 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #4515 on: December 10, 2013, 03:04:52 pm »

Concubines don't really change anything as far as I've seen. You'd think it'd give you more kids but I think how it works is that you have some sort of "child counter" on your character and every time it activates, it just assigns an eligible lady to have your kid. Your best bet is nailing as many of the affair type events as possible and hoping for bastard sons.

Though, children are an exponential thing. Your ideal start would be to just have as many of your children have lustful traits and hope for the best. Don't know about thousand, but hundreds of living members is certainly feasible.

You can help this along by landing as many of your dynasty members as possible. This will help them get wives. You don't have to give them counties, even baronies are fine, which are probably better as they can't rebel against you that way. Not to mention the AI doesn't really care about barons either, so they wont have their lands confiscated. You get baby breeding machines.

---------------

I've almost finally finished my ironman Swabia game. Year 1320 now, so about 100 years more. I got about 200,000 points total right now, which is good. My power is so incredible that I literally obliterated the entire Sunset Invasion with their 140 000 men without them taking a single province. I smashed them so hard that when they landed a second invasion force to attack the collapsing Muslims, I just casually walked down there with my existing levies and crushed that too. I crushed both Mongol hordes several times, something I've never managed to do before, and I did that with just my retinue armies alone.

My capital city has every single thing constructed. In fact, I have 100% completed my research trees for commerce and social stuff so some of my advisors actually have nothing to do.

I earn more than 400 gold per month, and double that in prestige. Every single one of my children basically get born with the +20 prestige modifier because they get so much of it. I can't actually use up all my gold. I can have every single mercenary army hired permanently and still draw big profit. This is made even cheaper by the fact that my dynasty both vassalizes and directly controls every single holy order as well as the Papacy. I can get the pope to excommunicate anyone I wish because he has to follow my whims.

I have 70,000 men available permanently as retinues. It's a bit obscene and I split them up into several armies just wandering around my massive empire arresting people. I never, ever see any more vassal rebellions because of this too, as they judge their power by your current available power. So even if 50 of my vassals banded together, they couldn't field the 100,000+ men total I have available at my disposal. And let's say the holy orders were plotting against me and I got the vassal rebellion warning, I could hire some mercenaries or raise some vassal levies to boost the number and they'd give up.

The amount of positive relations all my characters garner just by existing is so massive that getting a -80 relations modifier from banishing people is irrelevant to me. And even on the rare chance I get enough to make people dislike me, my imperial military strength is so high no one dares to rebel. I haven't had a succession crisis in centuries.

Peace through absolute power.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4516 on: December 10, 2013, 03:24:39 pm »

Thoughts on Tanistry? Going to change from Gavelkind to either Tanistry or Primogeniture in my Ironman... Never tried Tanistry before.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #4517 on: December 10, 2013, 03:25:25 pm »

I've never managed to get that far.  There were some games that maybe could have, and one that was absolutely going to, but I've found that in game time slows down relative to RL time (aka I play slower) the larger my realm gets.

My assumption thus far is that the game would be really easy at that point though.  My experience has been that the bigger my realm is, the easier the game is, and once I become large enough to fight all my adjacent neighbors at once, its very unlikely I'm ever going to lose land ever.  Maybe there's a point where your realm getting larger makes the game harder, who knows.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4518 on: December 10, 2013, 03:31:57 pm »

Thoughts on Tanistry? Going to change from Gavelkind to either Tanistry or Primogeniture in my Ironman... Never tried Tanistry before.
You will consistently have rulers with good diplomacy of the right culture. Other than that, it's all random as vassals hardly ever follow your vote, which they do tend to do with Elective. Tanistry it better than Primogeniture imo. Although Tanistry can lead to multiple heirs (if you have, say, two kingdoms).

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4519 on: December 10, 2013, 03:52:48 pm »

The best choice is ultimogeniture.

Why would you want your oldest heir? Old people suck in this game, you just have lots of succession crises after they keep dying one after another until you end up with the kid anyway. Far better to have a perfectly groomed little kid that will live and rule for 80 years instead. Even if on the off chance you get one major succession crisis, it's better than lots of them. Not to mention you can manage succession crises pretty easily by just imprisoning people or moving them out of the picture some how. Another cheesy way to deal with it is to keep a holy / religious war on yourself on permanently for that massive relations boost.

Additionally, succession crises can be a good thing, especially if your vassals are pathetic (which you should be aiming to do when assigning vassals). Defeating them gives massive bonuses.

The only reason no one uses ultimogeniture in the real world is because real world children are stupid and will do stupid things. But what's essentially happening here is that you have the mind of an adult with the lifespan of a kid.

Tanistry is dumb in that only Celts get it and it's basically elective. If you care about your own lineage, your property, or having the people you want take the throne, this choice really sucks. Even elective is better as at least your vassals will follow your choice to a degree. Also, they keep electing old people.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4520 on: December 10, 2013, 04:04:23 pm »

Actually, Ultimo has a couple drawbacks: most notably the fact that if your child is very young, you cannot accurately predict your future traits, and you are stuck with a regent which can cause some problems (i.e. max demesne size going down).
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4521 on: December 10, 2013, 04:06:25 pm »

Tanistry tends to favour 20-somethings for me even with plenty of elders to choose from. I also prefer it over Elective as you can't lose with Tanistry.

Ultimo results in children inheriting and they lack an eduction trait and thus suck.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4522 on: December 10, 2013, 04:16:36 pm »

You can stop having kids any time.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4523 on: December 10, 2013, 04:19:03 pm »

You can stop having kids any time.
Then you might as well stick to Gavelkind.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4524 on: December 10, 2013, 04:35:19 pm »

On genetics : Strong or Genius ? They're nearly equal for me, so I don't really know how to choose.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4525 on: December 10, 2013, 04:55:00 pm »

On genetics : Strong or Genius ? They're nearly equal for me, so I don't really know how to choose.
Genetics are too random to bother trying to get. The chance of spreading is really small, something like 20%, so just go for whoever you like.

Dutchling: gavelkind = you can't own multiple inheritances.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4526 on: December 10, 2013, 05:15:29 pm »

Genetics are too random to bother trying to get. The chance of spreading is really small, something like 20%, so just go for whoever you like.

Dutchling: gavelkind = you can't own multiple inheritances.

I had a Genius guy and a regular woman give birth to three children: one with Clubfoot, one with Hunchback, and one normal. And no Genius. What are the odds?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4527 on: December 10, 2013, 05:18:23 pm »

I prefer Genius, because it's a flat +5 to all stats rather than the smaller bonus to just Martial that Strong gives.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4528 on: December 10, 2013, 05:19:31 pm »

I mean, if I have a son which is strong, and one which is genius (and one quick, but I won't bother with him), which do I choose as an heir ?
And yes, I had 3 'gifted' sons, as a regular guy (but had strong or genius concubines).

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4529 on: December 10, 2013, 05:20:45 pm »

Oooh. Then genius for sure. Genius is one of the best traits as Descan mentioned.

scrdest: I have no idea what the odds are because they're really random for me. As you've experienced yourself.
Pages: 1 ... 300 301 [302] 303 304 ... 1002