Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 289 290 [291] 292 293 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2092974 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #4350 on: November 26, 2013, 04:31:51 pm »

Happened regularly to me pre 2.0

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4351 on: November 26, 2013, 07:47:44 pm »

Quick question how common is it for a mercenary band to take over Spain?
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Lukeinator

• Bay Watcher
  • Kophey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4352 on: November 26, 2013, 08:23:13 pm »

Not very common I think. The saxon band in my game only owns a third of the peninsula.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=135480.0 My second FOOTBLEED game.
This thread is Bay12 incarnate.

Like the mermaid bones farm and the Kill-your-baby machine.

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4353 on: November 27, 2013, 01:07:07 am »

Here's my current game as Britannia. It's around 1097, and the Europeans are getting uppity about me owning France. I've already fended off two crusades as one ruler, and I expect to have to crush more when I die and inherit. Also, I just kind of trying to get enough land to fend off the Aztec invasion once it comes around. I hope to export this to EU4 once I hit 1444.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Probably not particularly impressive, but it's been fun.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4354 on: November 27, 2013, 07:18:41 am »

Who did you start with? I just had my first game as Viking, and man, they're OP. Started as Jorvik, expecting a OPM on the border with Christiandom to have a hard time, and them boom, I'm given the whole of Northern England. Then I abused the conquest CB to grab Ireland, subjugated King Something the Boneless for Scotland, Roflstomped everyone.

Now we're in 937 and the Empire of Britannia own all of Scandinavia, the Low Countries, most of Northern Germany, Gascogne and Rome (because why not). Also every barony-level titles in Asturias (Claiming Kingdom is weird). Oh, and I haven't reformed yet, so my whole Empire is a mess of constantly fighting vikings, while the traditionnal way to pass on a title is a full-blown civil war.

By the way, don't you think retinues should be split between heirs in gavelkind? Having those extra 7k Housecarls in each civil war makes them too easy for my taste.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4355 on: November 27, 2013, 07:36:46 am »

In Ironman mode, I keep ragequitting when I have two or three wars declared on me when I foolishly lose too many troops. It seems the AI is much better than me at keeping an eye on neighbors they don't like who they have a Casus Belli against.

For example, as Poland, the Slavic Pagans who are primary targets of my oppression early on are able to consistantly declare war at opportune moments because my armies have been ground down fighting for allies. While I could keep a better eye on comparitive troop levels, I think it would be better if there was one of those drop down buttons at the top of the screen similar to the Dangerous Factions one that will notify you when an AI that dislikes you and has some kind of potential claim is getting close to outnumbering your troops enough that they would declare war. That way I could know when I should send my chancellor to whatever county is the HRE capital at the time to improve relationship with the local Emperor to try to prevent him from taking back his de jure Brandenburg that a vassal of mine took from a surprisingly successful Pagan (in that they must have beat the HRE to take it), and when I should start saving gold to hire mercenaries should Pagans start a war with me instead of spending it building castle walls/towns or shipyards.

EDIT: Cumania became very large in one of those games and owned most of the Southern part of the Empire of Russia along with owning most of Hungary. They then reformed the Tengri religion, and shortly after that the religious head was allowed to declare Crusade/Jihad equivalents. I was quite pleased to be able to read the popups since I had never seen it happen before.

The Catholic response (the thing you click on) is "Lock up your son and daughter!"

I have to wonder if the Mongols would show up as Reformed Tengri, or as the non-reformed religion.

Another thing I haven't accomplished is taking Baghdad before the Mongols take it and you get the special popup where it says they've tossed the libraries into the river which makes it run black. Do all the religious groups cause events when conquering Baghdad or do only Pagans/Tengri/Mongols cause that to happen?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 07:49:15 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4356 on: November 27, 2013, 09:42:50 am »

Playing ironman. Started as Livonia, reformed faith, conquered half of the areas of the de-jure Wendish Empire. Decided I would turn decadent and just stay in that area and not conquer any further. Did some raiding, and then collected all the forces I could and tried to burn down Constantinopole.

What waited for me was death. A stack of cataphract retinues the size of my army combined. Needless to say, I ended up with my entire force annihilated. I really shouldn't have expected anything less after the Tengri formed the Empire of Carpathia and then got half-eaten by the Byzantines.

Seems I have some blobbing to do.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4357 on: November 27, 2013, 11:28:38 am »

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4358 on: November 27, 2013, 12:46:27 pm »

It can happen anywhere when a ruler runs out of money and has hired mercenaries. From my experience the mercenary invasions usually don't succeed but it happens enough that you generally see a mercenary band owning land somewhere. In my current game The Breton Band held a big chunk of Scotland for a while.

I think I have a very confused heir. She hears the voice of Satan, but gets military advice from Jesus. She has the best stats I've ever had for an heir. I have a feeling that her rule is going to be pretty fun to play through. :P

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4359 on: November 27, 2013, 01:00:27 pm »

That character looks amazing! You should write a mini-AAR for her :D

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4360 on: November 27, 2013, 01:19:48 pm »

Was your first ruler named Inigo?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4361 on: November 27, 2013, 01:33:03 pm »

Ahahaha, lucky bastard got a child of satan for a daughter. I've been trying to get one for eons.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4362 on: November 27, 2013, 02:58:31 pm »

As my latest Ironman game, Boleslaw the Bold (me) was about to marry his heir Kielbasa to a young Duchess of Nyitra which is a Duchy in Hungary. She also had excellent martial skill and had a weak claim on King of Hungary. Since it was Ironman, I thought to myself I'll give Kielbasa a county and make him Seneschel so he doesn't join the Duchess's court and get assasinated or something. Unfortunately, this caused the Duchess to refuse to marry him, and Kielbasa immediately married the female heir to the Duchy of Mazovia. Since the Duke of Mazovia was still young with a potentially childbearing wife so would likely still produce a male heir, I decided to revoke Kielbasa's county.

He refused and had his army crushed and his county holdings besieged until I was able to enforce the demand that he go to jail for a while. As soon as he was there, I revoked his county and then plotted the assasination of his wife. Eventually that was succesful, though it was known that I was the one who planned it. By this time poor Kielbasa was down to -10 opinion of me. I gave him Seneschel again and sent him 20 gold to get to about 10 opinion. I then checked to see if he could still marry the original Duchess, but in the interim she had married. Since Kielbasa was Strong like his father and mother, I found a Strong Countess and betrothed Kielbasa to her.

Shortly thereafter Boleslaw died neatly in battle, which is a nice change from being made Incapable by a blow to the head and lingering on for thirty years.

Kielbasa is now King and is even better than Boleslaw was, at 26 martial skill. A crusade is called while my levies are weakened from Holy Wars against Slavic Pagans. The first battle I get into down there Kielbasa is struck on the head and refuses to stir from his repose, gaining the Incapable trait at the age of 21 and with only a daughter.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4363 on: November 27, 2013, 05:45:01 pm »

If you have somewhere to host your save I could try converting it for you.
Tried and tried again and managed nothing. Here follows the link for the save game:
https://db.tt/pEmm7UpR

At least I'll be able to discover if it's a problem on my computer or on my save game...
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4364 on: November 27, 2013, 09:56:23 pm »

In Ironman mode, I keep ragequitting when I have two or three wars declared on me when I foolishly lose too many troops. It seems the AI is much better than me at keeping an eye on neighbors they don't like who they have a Casus Belli against.

For example, as Poland, the Slavic Pagans who are primary targets of my oppression early on are able to consistantly declare war at opportune moments because my armies have been ground down fighting for allies.

Solutions is simple: Screw your allies.  Traditionally, whenever I receive a call-to-arms, I always accept but never contribute troops.  Eh, just knowing that I *could* help is enough to discourage their foes, right?  ;D

Besides, I always form alliances based on how they can help me, not on how I can help them.  And to be blunt, allies today are likely to be future targets of conquest (as the very definition of a good ally is a neighbor that is stronger than me), so I couldn't care less if they fail in their wars.
Pages: 1 ... 289 290 [291] 292 293 ... 1002