Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 268 269 [270] 271 272 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2094161 times)

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #4035 on: September 07, 2013, 06:48:41 pm »

-snip-

This really makes me wonder why you didn't go elective. If your dynasty is bigger than the immediate family you could put a cousin in the throne and be done with it. :P
My dynasty was just... me. Then just my retarded daughter. Then just her retarded and not retarded son. Risky gambit indeed, if the smart son dies of black death before getting some courtesan preggo.
Plus I couldn't touch the sucession laws because queen derpina was hated by all her vassals like -90.
Wow. No really. Wow. At that point you might as well give the kingdom title to someone else and try to get on as a vassal duke for a while.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #4036 on: September 09, 2013, 03:46:07 am »

I've had the first game for a few years and didn't even realise it until about a month ago. I installed it and started it up. I couldn't understand it after three hours of playing with the manual in my lap and constant alt-tabbing to beginner guides and crap. I uninstalled it, did the same thing a week later, still didn't get it. This game just pisses me off it's so impossible to figure out, even more so because I want to figure it out because every dozy bastard this side of the universe tells me how bloody fantastic it is.

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4037 on: September 09, 2013, 03:55:55 am »

I had to watch some Let's Plays in order to get into the game – maybe that'll do it for you.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4038 on: September 09, 2013, 05:04:08 am »

I had played EU3 a bit before getting CK2, and to me CK2 seemed more intuitive and sensible. Also tried Hearts of Iron 3 and failed to even get past the introductory parts.

Mithras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4039 on: September 09, 2013, 05:09:43 am »

If you're talking about the first crusader kings then it's a completely differant beast in terms of learnability from crusader kings 2. Crusader Kings 2 is still difficult to learn, but it's helpful and it helps you feel like you're getting along without really knowing everything and more importantly it explains what's going wrong so you can learn from your mistakes.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4040 on: September 09, 2013, 11:23:03 am »

The thing that helped me understand how to wrap my head around CK2 was this text-based let's play: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/lets-play-crusader-kings-2-i-want-to-be-a-basileus.69371/#post-1963395

It's about a small Italian family called Spartenos trying to become the Emperor of Byzantine.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4041 on: September 09, 2013, 11:57:52 am »

Most of the mid-level strategy I gleaned from reading stories in this thread, which also taught me what ought to be possible through the interface.  The interface wasn't too bad once I knew what I was looking for, particularly with all the tooltips.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4042 on: September 09, 2013, 12:14:52 pm »

The thing about the game is that you don't really need to learn how to play the game to play it.

You can just let it run and figure out how to deal with stuff as they arise. Honestly, I feel that is the best way to play. When you have no clue.

After all, it's actually extremely difficult to "lose". Every single one of your dynasty members must die.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4043 on: September 09, 2013, 12:23:29 pm »

That's not entirely true. Your dynastic heir (your normal heir, unless you lose an (merchantile or normal) election) just needs to be non-dynastic.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4044 on: September 09, 2013, 12:51:45 pm »

I thought if you had any landed dynasty members, if someone else inherits you you just play as that other landed character?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4045 on: September 09, 2013, 03:03:48 pm »

That's not entirely true. Your dynastic heir (your normal heir, unless you lose an (merchantile or normal) election) just needs to be non-dynastic.
Hm, no. Your dynasty must have no land left. If you die and that your land gets inherited by another dynasty, you'll play your relative who is an ethiopian norse and rules over Persia. True story (well, maybe not).

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4046 on: September 09, 2013, 03:05:32 pm »

I thought if you had any landed dynasty members, if someone else inherits you you just play as that other landed character?
Not as far as I know. Not entirely sure though, but I have never seen anything proving the contrary ;)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4047 on: September 09, 2013, 03:10:39 pm »

Not as far as I know. Not entirely sure though, but I have never seen anything proving the contrary ;)
You always play as your heir.  If your heir has no land, and inherits no land upon current character death, then game over.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4048 on: September 09, 2013, 03:11:54 pm »

You do. I discovered it when it happened to me (was a norman catholic in Brittany, for some reason someone not of my dynasty inherited, and I got to play my norse norse relative that was petty king of cornwalls. My heir was a male of some other dynasty (it was my grandson from my daughter I think).

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4049 on: September 09, 2013, 03:16:15 pm »

That's strange, the game clearly tells you it will be game over if you died in such a scenario iirc.
Pages: 1 ... 268 269 [270] 271 272 ... 1002