Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2092452 times)

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 announced!
« Reply #300 on: February 16, 2012, 04:20:14 pm »

You could just mod the culture = basque tag out extremely easily to make it more realistic.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: February 16, 2012, 05:00:58 pm »

Apparently, I'm using a mod that changed the requirements, one of em fancy tweak mods.  Nifty stuff.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

gogis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: February 16, 2012, 05:30:42 pm »

I never played CK and completely lost.
How to actually blob out, create empire?
- ok, choose any succession law which is not... i dont remember, so your country is not torn apart after king croaks
- use heathens CB
- fabricate claims

Also army managment is ridiculous  ::)
Or actually it's not important at all, i mean become big? My seconds heir, 8 yrs somehow became a duke and after I changed to elective, grabbed huge portion of my lands. We allied, but i actually want to impale that bastard now.
In Soviet Russia cigarette smokes you

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #303 on: February 16, 2012, 10:25:32 pm »

I'm still playing my first real game (i.e. not demo) and there are a few things I think I'd do differently to create an Empire.

1st: Build up a few primary provinces instead of spreading it out. Particularly when it comes to Keeps and army structures.

2nd: Primogen succession all the way. Not only would this allow me to keep control of my kingdom upon death easier than the others but also the ones I want (see above).

3rd: Male-Only Heirs. I played Basque for the any gender option, and I love the girl power going down in Spain, but unfortunately the rest of the world are very picky about their genitals and I lost the Duchy of Modena because my Heir was female but my second child was male. I suppose I could've attempted an assassination, but my track record with that has been abysmal and kinslayer isn't the nicest of traits to acquire. Why did my dear Matilda have to attempt breaking away from the Holy Roman Empire? I needed your awesome spouse stats babe  :'(

4th: Take better care when selecting traits. Keep Courtiers with good traits and marry off the other ones. I haven't been able to find the chances of inheriting birth traits (if they're inherited at all) but leaders with crappy Stewardship control squat for demesnes.

5th: Mercenaries are nice when small, but they ate up my treasury. I waited too long to invest in levy boosters which are dirt cheap next to the mercenary armies.

6th: Use the Steward to collect taxes a lot more. The rate increase itself is rather meager but the random tithe bonus can seriously boost the treasury.

-

Now I have a few questions. Is it possible to create a new De Jure Empire or are the Byzantine and Holy Roman the only Empires available if I go with the earliest starting date?

Also, as a small Spanish nation, how do you deal with France coming in and taking all your conquest targets? The bottom half of Iberia is now French and my only option to break their hold is to slowly acquire individual counties until I can establish the Kingdom of Aragon... and declare war against a super power. I admit there are a few holes in the plan.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 10:27:12 pm by Glowcat »
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: February 16, 2012, 10:35:26 pm »

There is a mod on the paradox modding forums that adds more empires. Its called "Bella gerant alii".  Trying the full version of it now, it makes it harder, but, its modular I think, so you could just enable only the kingdom extension if you like. 
I've been using 'Gameplay Tweaks Mod' before that, I liked some of the changes there more so at this point.

Also, playing on slow'mo as I mess with DF raws...  and I've been waiting for my countess to get her damn self pregnant for 4 years.  "Get it on with your husband and give me a child woman!  Neither of you are chaste or anything, do it right!"  Was what I've been thinking the whole time...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

RaySmuckles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: February 16, 2012, 10:42:08 pm »

Is there any way to pull up the game logs so I can look over what's happened year by year? I just had an interesting succession and want to review everything that happened.

Once his stepmother/regent was able to be removed from the Spymaster slot, she was promptly replaced by a 23 Intrigue Earl with a land title, who was only 19 years old.. I sense great things for this guy.

Assassinated her immediately. (She was -70 to her stepson/the new ruler) Assassinated three half-siblings, and some random King half a continent away who was -60 to my ruler for some reason. Then cleaned it up by assassinating two courtiers who had very negative opinions of my ruler.

Didn't get caught. Didn't savescum. This is a cleansing.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 10:46:33 pm by RaySmuckles »

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: February 17, 2012, 12:07:13 am »

Can someone explain why did the succession law, which I worked long and hard on my last guy to implement, immediately change back to gavelkind when my son took over? Made the whole thing pretty pointless.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: February 17, 2012, 12:56:57 am »

Was your son landed? Was he higher or lower or equal tier to you?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: February 17, 2012, 01:22:28 am »

Did the son become king of anywhere else? Kingdoms have separate laws. Relatedly, did anyone else become de jure king over the area where your capital is?

Also, Glowcat; You use it to your advantage and fight the same guys they are fighting and ninja-siege provinces. Paradox has stated that the next patch will make France less eager to go all Reconquistador, however.
Love, scriver~

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: February 17, 2012, 06:47:53 am »

He was also a duke, so equal tier. When I took over, I changed his primary to the one I had changed the law in. I thought the duchy would retain the law, but no. However, the vassals in that duchy are still Primogeniture.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: February 17, 2012, 07:50:38 am »

Started as Matilde of Tuscany in 1066, since I've just loved her in demo, and she sure did live up to my expectations. Died being 78 years old, as a Queen of Sicily, which consisted of all Sicily Proper and Tuscany, also, Tripolitania. Got the "the Great" nickname, made sure her son was awesome and died. Was fun.

To prevent succession crisis, I've made my (now) both kingdoms of Italy and Sicily elective and nothing is able to beat the kings vote so my nominee always wins. I give my nominee all the lands that I can't have myself and voila. There are cons to this tactics, such as you sometimes have to nominate a child and give him all the lands you can't keep, and if he turns out retarded, well, fucking oops.

Anyway, Kingdom of Sicily circa 1188.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This guy:
We're bros, so he calls me a son of a bitch-whatever once in a while. That's how we roll... Sigh.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Somebody show your personal empires too.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: February 17, 2012, 08:20:43 am »

Agh, there are good mods out already. I'm only 7 years into a game as Galicia at the moment so I'll start again I guess. Bella gerant alli and improved religious wars both look good, I hope they work together.

gogis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: February 17, 2012, 09:44:44 am »

Is there any thorough info/wiki about CK mechanics? I mean is CK1 is somewhat applicable to CK2?

I seriously want to enjoy this game, but all that "oh shit, this pesky brat now is duke" or like moments lead me to frustration  :'(
In Soviet Russia cigarette smokes you

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: February 17, 2012, 10:12:37 am »

"oh shit, this pesky brat now is duke" or like moments lead me to frustration  :'(

"oh shit, this pesky brat now is duke" sounds like Crusader Kings in a nutshell ;)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: February 17, 2012, 10:35:06 am »

Ran into a roadblock, got hit by England backing a dude laying claim on Brittany, and not only was my armies severely outmatched (even with mercs hired) to begin with, my 20-25 something martial king decided to beat it in a fight, leaving me with an underage heir and a bunch of rebellious Irishmen (especially the damned Duke of Ulster, he's taken both half of Connacht as well as Dublin besides his own duchy, though at least I'm still hanging on to Ulster County itself) all wanting the crown of Ireland for themselves. Then the "just" king of Scotland decided to make an attack of opportunity while I was down and pressed the claim that one of his courtiers had on Connacht. I guess I was lucky Duke Ulster owned half of it, after all, since I only lost one county to them.

Though this might yet turn out in my favour. Since neither Brittany or Connacht was in the de jure realms of England or Scotland, the they ended up as sovereign states after the war, and I still have claims on both of them. Brittany has some duke level allies, so he might be trouble, but the new duke of Connacht has no allies of mention at all, just a couple of counts and barons, so I'll have no trouble getting that back - plus there's now another independent state in Scotland I can lay eventually lay claim to. And the best part is, since my heir is still underage, I have his whole life in front of me to do it. Just need to rest and regroup a little first, and hope the Duke of Ulster doesn't cause any more trouble.

Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 1002