Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2092537 times)

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 announced!
« Reply #285 on: February 16, 2012, 05:14:03 am »

You can only bribe someone once, though. There's always non-land titles you can give people, but there's not many of them. A trick I learnt was to not fulfill marriage wishes of people who already like me (unless they ask for it) so my heir can do it instead if they don't like him. Your heir will also receive a relation.ship bonus with his mentor, if you can stand giving away the change to mold him yourself (also only let him be mentored by people with positive traits, wards have high chance of taking after their mentors).

Don't forget that your mentor could change your culture if he's from a different culture. My Irish heir almost became Mongol :o

Also, I think I encountered a bug.

I was mentoring my heir. You know the mentoring events. When one of the events happen, that "introduce/praise your children to the court" option always gives -10 relationship hit between my heir and some of the court members. Doesn't it need to give a 10 relationship bonus?

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: February 16, 2012, 05:22:13 am »

Don't forget that your mentor could change your culture if he's from a different culture. My Irish heir almost became Mongol :o

I was mentoring my heir. You know the mentoring events. When one of the events happen, that "introduce/praise your children to the court" option always gives -10 relationship hit between my heir and some of the court members. Doesn't it need to give a 10 relationship bonus?

I don't think mentors have any effect on culture of a character, as the primary source of my court's mentors/advisors come from Arabic cultures, since they tend to have OP stats across the board, and I've yet to see one mentee become the culture of the mentor. Religious conversions happen, yes, but I've never heard/seen cultural changes happen.

Besides, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't make sense for that either as 'culture' is probably just their term for 'race' as it's assigned at birth and varies between/mixes with the parents. Also, since if you're a different culture with kinsman in your court, they'll still get a -20 'foreigner' penalty [for a person who they've known their whole life..], which leads me to believe it's a misnomer for racial ethnicity and not cultural beliefs.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: February 16, 2012, 05:35:40 am »

You can only bribe someone once, though. There's always non-land titles you can give people, but there's not many of them. A trick I learnt was to not fulfill marriage wishes of people who already like me (unless they ask for it) so my heir can do it instead if they don't like him. Your heir will also receive a relation.ship bonus with his mentor, if you can stand giving away the change to mold him yourself (also only let him be mentored by people with positive traits, wards have high chance of taking after their mentors).

Also, I think I encountered a bug.

I believe it gives him prestige, at the cost of annoying the courtiers. "MY CHILD IS SO GREAT AND AWESOME AND YOUR CHILDREN SUCK."
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: February 16, 2012, 05:43:53 am »

Yeah, it's basically just him showing off his kid. Presumably he makes him juggle or do backflips or something.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: February 16, 2012, 05:53:50 am »

I don't think mentors have any effect on culture of a character, as the primary source of my court's mentors/advisors come from Arabic cultures, since they tend to have OP stats across the board, and I've yet to see one mentee become the culture of the mentor. Religious conversions happen, yes, but I've never heard/seen cultural changes happen.

Besides, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't make sense for that either as 'culture' is probably just their term for 'race' as it's assigned at birth and varies between/mixes with the parents. Also, since if you're a different culture with kinsman in your court, they'll still get a -20 'foreigner' penalty [for a person who they've known their whole life..], which leads me to believe it's a misnomer for racial ethnicity and not cultural beliefs.

It's culture, not race, and yes, they can change.
Love, scriver~

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: February 16, 2012, 05:56:15 am »

It's culture, not race, and yes, they can change.

The odds of it happening must be astronomically low, as all of my house is still Irish with a couple of Andalusian and Swedish cousins mixed in!
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: February 16, 2012, 06:30:50 am »

Nephew: Hey Uncle, I want to run my own fief too!
Me: Hmm....
*Nephew ends up in a Matrilineal Marriage wed to an inbred courtier on the border of Denmark*
Nephew:  :(

King of Navarra likes his new castles.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: February 16, 2012, 07:14:04 am »

It was  most unfortunate that I've accidently wed my son with my sister, and now the resulting heir is retarded. Luckily, he's ambitious, so it makes -1.00 to all stats, not too bad, killed the sister though.

Also, is there any way to change the capital of a county? I've got Rome, I want to keep it, but the wrong government type is killing my relations with vassals :(.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: February 16, 2012, 08:09:01 am »

If there's a castle there then get it back from the baron somehow. If there isn't build one. It will automatically change so the castle is the county capital.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: February 16, 2012, 09:09:51 am »

I believe it gives him prestige, at the cost of annoying the courtiers. "MY CHILD IS SO GREAT AND AWESOME AND YOUR CHILDREN SUCK."

Makes sense :D

About the culture/race thing, it can happen and it makes sense. Ottomans had this 'devshirme' system. They took promising non-Turkish children and taught them the life of a Turkish Muslim. It's pretty much what I'm doing now. Get courtiers with high stats and convert them to your culture and religion.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: February 16, 2012, 09:10:56 am »

I think they did that sort of thing to Vlad the Impaler. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: February 16, 2012, 10:13:56 am »

...It was the Turks Vlad got his name from impaling.

edinsert: By which I mean, so it sure didn't work out well for them.

Also, currently doing a "unite the Celts" game, starting as the smaller, southern Welsh duchy. After forming Wales and Ireland, I remember I have completely forgot about Bretagne. So I jump on down to see what counties would be the best as starting points, but then I notice there is no duke of Brittany around, and immediately after that the duchy doesn't have the right "Breton" colour any more, it's a weird brown instead of cyan. Fearing some other country got there first, I zoom out to see what country it belongs to now. And it says "Wales".

As it turns out, the Duke of Connacht just inherited the whole Brittany duchy from his mother. Well, guess it's only the last Irish counties left and then Scotland, before the Celts can finally reclaim the fair Briton Islands from the German scum!

Also I had it set up so my heir would inherit the whole of Toulouse to bolster my strength, but then he went and died from pneumonia, dammit. I hate it when that happens. My whole dynasty almost died out as he was my only son (which would have left the King of Leon as King of Wales). Thank god for murder plots and new, fruitful wives.
Love, scriver~

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: February 16, 2012, 02:09:37 pm »

My heir turned Maghreb because a maghreb tutored him, so that is the case. Also, how to arrange marriages so that you could inherit something? Never happened to me. It happens only if some guy dies and all he's got is his wife who is from your dynasty or what?

Mipe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: February 16, 2012, 02:13:50 pm »

I've been trying to get a female ruler dinasty going, but it seems that for Absolute Cognatic succession you need to be of Basque culture. Damnit.

Note to self: get a Basque mentor for the young heir.

Elective works, but I can't grant land to women, which sucks. There were many landed women in the history.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: February 16, 2012, 03:11:00 pm »

I've been trying to get a female ruler dinasty going, but it seems that for Absolute Cognatic succession you need to be of Basque culture. Damnit.

Note to self: get a Basque mentor for the young heir.

Elective works, but I can't grant land to women, which sucks. There were many landed women in the history.

It takes working to make an Absolute Cognatic succession... and a bit of assassination/political management...

I don't remember the requirements right now, but I think...
1. Being of a heretic religion is required, that was such a pain..... especially when starting it out and you have cruddy rulers... people hate you.  When you get to duchy size or something later on, you need to find yourself a kingdom to attach yourself to, for their protection, else bigger fish will declare holy war upon you.
2. Your duchy liege will be a pain in the arse, as a single county... I was spammed with "Change your religion back to Catholic."  Its really doesn't help relations.  Might be because my liege was Zealous, I should check.
3. Your kingdom liege, who is most likely catholic and think you a heretic, will get it into his head to demand counties from you.  The bastard.  Might have to do with personalities though, I should check that... 
So pick a weak king that won't steamroll you if you intend to fight back, for at least white peace.  (While you are fighting for the right to keep your county, others will get the idea to declare holy war on you...  that is when you ask for white peace.  When it is accepted, all holy wars on you will stop.
4. Since you have heretics, your liege and if they have a liege too... they will ALL likely be sending their priests down on your province, doing the inquisition thing or whatever it is.  Random courtiers you have converted, will convert back.  If you managed to turn the county of your religion, expect it to be turned back right quick.  Lots of RNG luck to spread your heresy... or at least keep it manageable.

5. Getting your female ruler to have one of those fancy titles.   I only know how to get 2 of em...  The one for prestige and the one for piety.  It really helps to have some decent traits...  it helps a lot.

My latest success was on the 4th ruler in the line of succession, 1000 prestige to become 'The Great'....  it took about 40 years of her life to get up there.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 1002