Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2092838 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 announced!
« Reply #195 on: February 12, 2012, 07:16:17 am »

I don't see how this is much different - that stat boost is damn important if you've got an idiot king. It makes you look for somebody with high average skill rather than someone with just one high skill, that is all. You have to plan them in alliance context now as well. I'm probably going to mod the game in this sense myself, but I still can't see how this change would make you care less about the wives when you still kit saw them as numbers before.

And no, they aren't suggesting "women aren't as capable", there's nothing capping women's skills at low levels, they're suggesting women weren't allowed to have those positions.
Love, scriver~

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 12, 2012, 07:47:42 am »

And no, they aren't suggesting "women aren't as capable", there's nothing capping women's skills at low levels, they're suggesting women weren't allowed to have those positions.

& They're damn wrong with the suggestion is all I'm saying. It's a stupid, stupid design decision. Women weren't forbidden from being diplomatic or financial advisors just because of the fact that they were women, if they're in the royal court. I'm not talking about allowing a peasant woman to be a treasurer, I'm talking about a court-trained and educated women of nobility being able to take a personal position in a court appointed and ruled by one person's will.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 12, 2012, 08:02:57 am »

I just got an event about an ancient law my barons are arguing over. They say that I should recognise their right to take the virginity of their serf's maiden daughter's virginity. The main person arguing for this is a 12 year old female baroness.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 12, 2012, 08:07:19 am »

Heh, not as hilarious as having two of your duchies start fighting each other. When they're both led by kids.

What's more hilarious is that the defender was greedy, and the attacker wrothful. SOMEBODY didn't share their toys :P
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 12, 2012, 08:35:23 am »

All you have to do to get female councillors is to remove "is_female = no" from the entries in the job_titles document. You can find that in the "common" file. Should be the same for both demo and full game.

Just tested it briefly, and it works, but I don't know if there'll be any unfortunate side effects down the road.
Love, scriver~

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 12, 2012, 09:07:00 am »

All you have to do to get female councillors is to remove "is_female = no" from the entries in the job_titles document. You can find that in the "common" file. Should be the same for both demo and full game.

Just tested it briefly, and it works, but I don't know if there'll be any unfortunate side effects down the road.

You're my hero. <3

Well, my first attempt at Orthodox Empire of Arabia... failure. I got dominated by Yemeni-Berber bastardores. The battle system in this one is much better, even though the first one was pretty good for what it was! It's also rather complex, allowing you to move specific units around to flanks.

Too bad it didn't help me. But oh well, guess I'll have to try again! This time as Axum.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 12, 2012, 09:31:10 am »

In my previous game, i had a son who wanted to be married, and seeing as i had like 20 sons, i got bored and gave him a bethrotal with a 8 years old kid. He quickly took vows of celibate and became "content" xD.

Also, i wanted to ask, anyone knows if it's a bad thing to revoke your mayors so that you get the full taxes from their cities ? I tried it once and it gave me a "wrong type of holding" message, but it still boosted my income quite a lot, with no apparent penalty yet, except of course the cost of revoking.

Thinking about it i guess it's mostly a matter of desmene size... probably if i had to be the mayor of every city, i would go over the limit much faster than if i just had vassals...
Speaking of which, what is the best way to boost your desmene size limit ?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 12, 2012, 09:39:23 am »

Also, i wanted to ask, anyone knows if it's a bad thing to revoke your mayors so that you get the full taxes from their cities ? I tried it once and it gave me a "wrong type of holding" message, but it still boosted my income quite a lot, with no apparent penalty yet, except of course the cost of revoking.

You don't get the full taxes, that's the downside. I don't remember exactly what the minuses are, but it doesn't run as efficiently as a "right type of holding".

Thinking about it i guess it's mostly a matter of desmene size... probably if i had to be the mayor of every city, i would go over the limit much faster than if i just had vassals...

That I remember off hand, becoming Duke or King, of course, or a higher stewardship skill, or rather, higher stewardship state score (which is your skill+halved wife's skill+steward's skill. The tooltip for the demesne indicator up in the right corner might tell you more about it, and the manual most definitely probably will.
Love, scriver~

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 12, 2012, 09:43:36 am »

I just got an event about an ancient law my barons are arguing over. They say that I should recognise their right to take the virginity of their serf's maiden daughter's virginity. The main person arguing for this is a 12 year old female baroness.
Ah yes, prima nocta. What an odd freakin' custom.

In CK1, it was a function of rank and your Intrigue score (not Stewardship). You could also build Royal Posts in provinces, which would reduce the penalty for being over the demesne limit, but at the cost of reduced income (but for a large, wealthy province the lost income would be less than the loss from the demesne penalty).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 12, 2012, 09:53:31 am »

Ah yes, prima nocta. What an odd freakin' custom.

Luckily there's no proof of it ever existing, though, but knowing you you probably already knew that ;)

In CK1, it was a function of rank and your Intrigue score (not Stewardship). You could also build Royal Posts in provinces, which would reduce the penalty for being over the demesne limit, but at the cost of reduced income (but for a large, wealthy province the lost income would be less than the loss from the demesne penalty).

This doesn't apply any more, though. It was only based on Intrigue in CK1 because there was virtually no use for it otherwise and Stewardship was overpowered with it, so they made a last minute call to change it.
Love, scriver~

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 12, 2012, 10:01:15 am »

What is this, echi anime? Fanfic? :P

So, it seems that a beta is happening, right? How is it? Is it, as usual for paradox games, still a broken bug fest? Or is it already quite good?
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 12, 2012, 10:08:14 am »

They're apparently launching it on valentine's. Or was it a week after that? Soon anyway.

Everyone who's tried the demo or beta has been praising the unparadox like bug freeness of CK2. So already quite frigging good.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 12, 2012, 10:12:07 am »

I'm playing the leaked version, dunno about the others. Not sure i like the game honestly. I've never played CK1 so i'm sort of new to the thing, and i find it a bit boring, stuff takes forever to happen and you're limited in time (from 1066 to 1400-something). But i'll give it a chance, maybe i'm missing something.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 12, 2012, 10:59:32 am »

Release day is 14th of February and it's definitely had a thorough beta testing. It's a grand strategy game and a Paradox game, so it tends to be somewhat slow paced, but the fun isn't supposed to be in the action, it's the reward of a plan succeeding or the general hilarity of the messed up characters and dynasties.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 12, 2012, 11:18:26 am »

You don't get the full taxes, that's the downside. I don't remember exactly what the minuses are, but it doesn't run as efficiently as a "right type of holding".
-25%
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 1002