Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2092851 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 announced!
« Reply #180 on: February 11, 2012, 03:22:18 pm »

Hold the phone. How do you play as other kingdoms in the demo?
Press play and than quickly click on another character. As long as said character is feudal it will work. So this includes pagans and muslims.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 11, 2012, 03:26:17 pm »

A customer who bought the game can't play it. When he complains it's is called greediness. What has this world come to?

Anyway, did you guys watch Crusader Kings II - Seven Deadly Sins trailers? That's what I call marketing! I'm too lazy to check the pages but I'm sure somebody posted a link to one of them here.

I still had this page in a tab since when I looked at it. The older videos are linked in there.
Love, scriver~

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 11, 2012, 03:26:55 pm »

Press play and than quickly click on another character. As long as said character is feudal it will work. So this includes pagans and muslims.

Hmm, does this perhaps suggest that non-christian kingdoms will be playable in the full game?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 11, 2012, 03:30:01 pm »

Hmm, does this perhaps suggest that non-christian kingdoms will be playable in the full game?
No, it suggest that non-christians  being non playable uses the same mechanic as non-demo characters being unplayable. Muslims, and perhaps pagans, has been confirmed as potential dlc though.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 11, 2012, 03:32:01 pm »

Anyone know if they've discussed the potential to play non-feudal realms? (Venice, the various Bishoprics, the Knightly Orders, etc.)

I've always wanted to try taking a German bishopric and carve out a German equivalent of the Papal States, then declare myself the True Pope. (Supported by the HRE, of course).

Or play as a truly potent Venice and come to dominate the Mediterranean. Or carve out a true Crusader Kingdom as the Templars.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 11, 2012, 03:38:29 pm »

It's no doubt been discussed, but no official word other than "perhaps, we'll see in the future".
Love, scriver~

jashman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #186 on: February 11, 2012, 06:10:15 pm »

And I realize now you do not attempt to justify the action and admit it is stealing piracy.

Fixed. Luckily, it doesn't even really apply in this case, as I have a 39.99 charge on my credit card.  ;) Now we can continue talking like adults.

Has anyone actually seen Harald win the war? Norway seems to generally win the English throne for me.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 11, 2012, 06:39:42 pm »

I have seen all three people win the war, fairly equally, but perhaps Norway a little more than the others. I also believe you meant Harold or William - Harald is the Norwegian king.
Love, scriver~

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 11, 2012, 11:13:33 pm »

My current game is as Wales, and Harold defeated the invaders. Currently it's the middle of the 12th century and England is constantly plagued by civil wars without even having different culture rulers. Earlier I witnessed the King of England controlling not even a third of his realm during one particularly bad civil war. I'm trying to conservatively take back the land which is rightfully ruled by the King of the Britons.
My long line of saintly rulers (with our own personal antipope) has direct control over Wales and great control over Ireland, which is mostly ruled by Welsh Archbishoprics. The King of Scotland's heir accepted a matrilineal marriage with one of my sisters, and Scotland looks to pass into Mathrafal hands. Actually, she's my aunt now that I think of it. My son who just inherited me is this asshole who named both of his sons Math Mathrafal.
Crusading is remarkably easy. I hired The Knights Templar, placed them on some ships and sailed them to North Africa, where the Caliph gave me the region I wanted after I took only his capital. Gave everything to the younger Math. I think I'll conquer more of Africa before Castille decides that Reconquista isn't enough.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 12, 2012, 04:24:28 am »

I have my hands on the 'demo' version of this. I will be starting with a First-Era Nubia game. Atleast that's what I'd always do in CK1, as it's the most challenging empire to carve from nothing. North African Orthodox Empire of Europe, go!
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 12, 2012, 04:26:50 am »

Anyone know if they've discussed the potential to play non-feudal realms? (Venice, the various Bishoprics, the Knightly Orders, etc.)

I've always wanted to try taking a German bishopric and carve out a German equivalent of the Papal States, then declare myself the True Pope. (Supported by the HRE, of course).

Or play as a truly potent Venice and come to dominate the Mediterranean. Or carve out a true Crusader Kingdom as the Templars.

I hope Paradox will allow mods for this...they probably will, I think.   
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 12, 2012, 05:19:53 am »

I have my hands on the 'demo' version of this. I will be starting with a First-Era Nubia game. Atleast that's what I'd always do in CK1, as it's the most challenging empire to carve from nothing. North African Orthodox Empire of Europe, go!
Is it even possible to survive as Nubia? Shia Caliphate + 2 holy wars always end that state pretty quickly. The only way I was able to survive was to swear fealty to the Caliph, which is only possible as Axum as kings can't swear fealty.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 12, 2012, 06:40:32 am »

Is it even possible to survive as Nubia? Shia Caliphate + 2 holy wars always end that state pretty quickly. The only way I was able to survive was to swear fealty to the Caliph, which is only possible as Axum as kings can't swear fealty.

It's very possible, I remember I expanded from 1-territory Kingdom of Nubia, managed to actually win the first war that Egypt declared on me (due to major internal strife, civil war, and revolt) which allowed me to take 3 high-yield provinces from their southern border. I eventually worked my way from Egypt, all the way through the holy lands into Mesopotamia/western Asia [note: each war was massive, the Muslim people know how to resist] and then curbstomped the Byzantines and made Thrace my new capital. After about two generations the empire eplit into two chunks, one situated in Mesopotamia and the other in Egypt. I decided to play as my Babylonian successor as he had ridiculous stats (15+!) and processed my brother into my empire. Then the world was falling apart, as Rus didn't even get close to being united by any of the Rurik clan, and the Christians were having all-out chaos in mainland Europe, basically leaving the Orthodox empire to rule as it wished.

Skip forward about 120 years and I had most of the southern half of Russia, along with the Baltics, the northern coast of Africa, Hispaniola, and last but not least the crown jewel of it all: Roma. I had a grand total of about 13 kingdom titles, with COUNTLESS Duchies sprinkled along the way. Many of the titles I got to create myself as the AI was nowhere near as efficient as I was, hah. Probably the most fun I've had in a Paradox game. I remember I played that specific dynasty for almost a year real-life, playing different branches and usurping the Emperor with different pretenders.

I also turned all of my lands into, yep, you guessed it, Orthodox Christianity. No stone was left unturned to destroy the powerbase of Catholics and Muslims.

It was a rather epic time. One I'm going to recreate with the (heretic Orthodox) Abbysid lands. I just started and thanks to Axum, I already have the small Muslim nation to my east inside my borders. Next to Axum, and then I will get to unite Ethiopia and conquer from there.

First impression: The UI is bad. Really bad. I don't like how they made it about a million times more unwieldy to do simple things. Also, what the hell is this shit with not allowing women to be Chancellors or Stewards anymore? If ONLY males can be the four useful councilors, then what's the point of finding a well-skilled woman as your bride? Genetics? Eh. I hope modders fix that very, very soon.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 06:46:22 am by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 12, 2012, 06:55:37 am »

Wives add half their skill to the "state score". So having a wife with high skills is still important.

I'm pretty certain it's easy to mod yourself, though, I think there is a "men only" tag or something like that you can remove. I can take a look later if you can't find it.
Love, scriver~

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 12, 2012, 06:59:31 am »

Wives add half their skill to the "state score". So having a wife with high skills is still important.

I'm pretty certain it's easy to mod yourself, though, I think there is a "men only" tag or something like that you can remove. I can take a look later if you can't find it.

I'm very aware, the second I read that spouses add half their skills to their liege I was worried they did something like this, 1/2 a skill is muuuuch less useful than having a bride with 20 skill who you can appoint as your steward, as it gives you a reason to actually find a worthwhile choice of spouse, where now I see them being just a stat boost and nothing else. I played the hell out of CK1 and I can tell you that having women as your main chancellor/steward choice is pretty much the best way to go if you want to be moderately successful as a huge empire. Seems a little insulting to suggest that women aren't capable of managing diplomacy or finances for a King/Queen and that they're only useful as a marginal boost to stats and popping out kids (even though out of the three women in my court in CK2 they ALL have better stats on each category than the no-skill jerks that get to leech off of me).

In CK1 it made sense, as the restrictions on military/religious appointments for women were actually history-relevant [dont give me B.S. about Joan de Orleans, she wasn't a real general!], and not just a cheeky change to make women even MORE useless in this game.

Main reason it pisses me off is because my first choice of bride was a woman with 15 stewardship and rather unimpressive other stats and I get to find out that they're only appoint-able as a Spy Master.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 07:06:16 am by Mictlantecuhtli »

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 1002