Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 949 950 [951] 952 953 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2056635 times)

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #14250 on: December 01, 2018, 02:07:27 pm »

Question on warrior lodges, do they still appear if the person having the pagan religion is ruling a feudal government rather than tribal?

While it would make sense to me if they still showed up when Feudal, the wiki doesn't say whether they'll still show up if you're feudal rather than tribal government but have the right religion.

start a game as a feudal germanic and check. erik the heather in 1066 or the germanic duke of york (?) in 867.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14251 on: December 01, 2018, 06:51:43 pm »

Have I found a hack about getting the money I want from merchant vassals???
So as you know the problem is that if your vassals dislike you they give you less levies and taxes. 
But thing is, noble vassals prefer to pay than to give you soldiers (ki d of ahistorically dont you think? I'd think burghers would try to pay their way out of military service.

not ahistorical at all! you have to realize that IRL, there are holdings much smaller than baronies. if you expect rent/tax to be paid in armed service, eventually you get down to a single knight-fee (the amount of land necessary to support a single knight). so if you're a baron or other smaller feudal lord, you want to divide that up and rent out the parts separately - but you can't get divide up a single knight. so you just offer to pay some money instead. it's vastly more productive.

at the same time, kings started to prefer hiring professional mercenaries over vassals. so money was preferred anyway.

the way ck2 depicts it is extremely abstract, one-size-fits all, but there it is.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14252 on: December 01, 2018, 07:26:25 pm »

kind of disappointed there doesnt seem to be a blood of satan bloodline

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14253 on: December 01, 2018, 10:22:25 pm »

Playing as Pictland in the Charlemagne start, going for a good old Catholic fun run. Proceed to become a satanist because the monks are lacklustre for my needs. Accidentally cause Catharism to appear in a neighbours lands, stuff happens, somehow become Cathar, zerg rush Ireland with multiple simultaneous Holy Wars, proceed to eat England and Wales through multiple generations of satanic Cathars.

Fend off Saxon prepared invasion of Ireland, form bloodline as a result of waging so many wars for small parcels of land, return to Catholic, get crowned by Pope. Begin twiddling thumbs while waiting for crusades.

So yeah, current games going well. Britains all unified and mostly homogenous as a result of me razing most of it. Germanics and Finnish pagans managed to reform, so Northern/Northeastern Europe is going to be a tricky spot for Christianity. Byzantines are nearly dead halfway through the 800s at the hands of unreformed pagans and muslims. Francia is still doing ok, and is ruled by a Karling, so there may be some support for Crusades in the future, but for the meanwhile I'm just trying to improve my boat capacity.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14254 on: December 02, 2018, 11:16:14 am »

Have I found a hack about getting the money I want from merchant vassals???
So as you know the problem is that if your vassals dislike you they give you less levies and taxes. 
But thing is, noble vassals prefer to pay than to give you soldiers (ki d of ahistorically dont you think? I'd think burghers would try to pay their way out of military service.

not ahistorical at all! you have to realize that IRL, there are holdings much smaller than baronies. if you expect rent/tax to be paid in armed service, eventually you get down to a single knight-fee (the amount of land necessary to support a single knight). so if you're a baron or other smaller feudal lord, you want to divide that up and rent out the parts separately - but you can't get divide up a single knight. so you just offer to pay some money instead. it's vastly more productive.

at the same time, kings started to prefer hiring professional mercenaries over vassals. so money was preferred anyway.

the way ck2 depicts it is extremely abstract, one-size-fits all, but there it is.

Well, it would have to be abstracted because it can only go so far down the Feudal heirarchy gameplay wise. They do seem to be represented though in that event where a petty noble is a guest at your court for a week and was generally an arsehole. And other events that seem to imply or hint at other nobles besides the ones that are playable.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 11:22:02 am by smjjames »

Bob69Joe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14255 on: December 02, 2018, 10:46:27 pm »

Playing as Pictland in the Charlemagne start, going for a good old Catholic fun run. Proceed to become a satanist because the monks are lacklustre for my needs. Accidentally cause Catharism to appear in a neighbours lands, stuff happens, somehow become Cathar, zerg rush Ireland with multiple simultaneous Holy Wars, proceed to eat England and Wales through multiple generations of satanic Cathars.

Fend off Saxon prepared invasion of Ireland, form bloodline as a result of waging so many wars for small parcels of land, return to Catholic, get crowned by Pope. Begin twiddling thumbs while waiting for crusades.

So yeah, current games going well. Britains all unified and mostly homogenous as a result of me razing most of it. Germanics and Finnish pagans managed to reform, so Northern/Northeastern Europe is going to be a tricky spot for Christianity. Byzantines are nearly dead halfway through the 800s at the hands of unreformed pagans and muslims. Francia is still doing ok, and is ruled by a Karling, so there may be some support for Crusades in the future, but for the meanwhile I'm just trying to improve my boat capacity.

Massive armies roam the map all the time. A great example is Lombardy fighting in northern Africa and going all the way around, somehow unmolested by all the Muslim rulers through the way. Save the trees, bro!

Bob69Joe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14256 on: December 02, 2018, 10:48:48 pm »

Well, Satan is above man afterall. The demons are the humans and their ill begotten egos.

Oh, my bad, double post.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14257 on: December 03, 2018, 08:43:09 am »

Well, Satan is above man afterall. The demons are the humans and their ill begotten egos.

Oh, my bad, double post.

no, they're not. especially when you're playing as the spawn of satan.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14258 on: December 03, 2018, 10:10:16 am »

Oh, my bad, double post.

no, they're not. especially when you're playing as the spawn of satan.
S(a)tan is the original husbando.

Who was it that flipped their shit at me repeatedly saying "Stan" back when M&M came out? Good times.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14259 on: December 04, 2018, 01:40:28 pm »

Eh? What event is this... never had this one... I suddenly got imprisioned by a lowly count, no reason given, a few days later I could pay the ransom and when I tried to imprision the fool back, it said I'd get a tyranny penalty. The only link I can think of is that he's the vassal of a duchess who claimed they'd be a better councillor and I declined a short time before that happened.

I CAN however, imprison the duchess who the count is a vassal of...

The character is also a drunkard and has the nickname of drunkard, maybe the count got tired of me being an ass or something.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 01:59:51 pm by smjjames »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14260 on: December 04, 2018, 01:47:39 pm »

Eh? What event is this... never had this one... I suddenly got imprisioned by a lowly count, no reason given, a few days later I could pay the ransom and when I tried to imprision the fool back, it said I'd get a tyranny penalty. The only link I can think of is that he's the vassal of a duchess who claimed they'd be a better councillor and I declined a short time before that happened.

The character is also a drunkard and has the nickname of drunkard, maybe the count got tired of me being an ass or something.
Did you get kidnapped?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14261 on: December 04, 2018, 01:51:01 pm »

You got kidnapped. In secret.

The guy who kidnapped you had the intrigue thing going and decided to target you. He also succeeded.

You'd get a tyranny penalty because no one else knew what happened. So if you tried to imprison him, it'd be you overreaching your powers.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14262 on: December 04, 2018, 02:01:38 pm »

Did you get kidnapped?

I guess. I've had the kidnap attempt event many times though, which have never succeeded.

Also, question, how do you prevent demesne counties from being lost on succession? Like, I want to grow the demesene, but they get lost on succession even to landed sons. I know there's succession laws that locks them to the heir, but still.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14263 on: December 04, 2018, 02:37:53 pm »

Check your inheritance laws. Sounds like you're in Gavelkind.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14264 on: December 04, 2018, 05:52:30 pm »

Well yeah, I'm in gavelkind. Playing a random world pagan, so, I can't change it to something better, either that or elective.

Anyways, can anybody tell me what's wrong with this picture? ;) (wish I could have the mouseover show up for two things at the same time)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 06:18:59 pm by smjjames »
Pages: 1 ... 949 950 [951] 952 953 ... 1002