Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 894 895 [896] 897 898 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2095781 times)

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #13425 on: June 03, 2018, 11:13:34 am »

Yeah, because everyone knows how scary the great great great great great great great great grandson of Charles the Hammer was.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13426 on: June 03, 2018, 11:44:19 am »

Yeah, because everyone knows how scary the great great great great great great great great grandson of Charles the Hammer was.
It was actually kind of a big deal. If you look at greek epics, you'll see characters constantly brag about their lineage. This did extend to medieal times and beyond.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #13427 on: June 03, 2018, 12:07:26 pm »

I think the whole bloodlines thing is pretty damn cool myself; though, I would rather be the progenitor or a child of a dynasty than it's 42nd descendant on the mother's side.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13428 on: June 03, 2018, 12:30:06 pm »

I wonder if there's a mechanic for bloodline to fade away where great did keep it "greatness" up, like "who care you're the twentieth generation child of Charles the hammer, non of his offspring did anything noteworthy I. Twenty generations"
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13429 on: June 03, 2018, 06:42:16 pm »

I wonder if there's a mechanic for bloodline to fade away where great did keep it "greatness" up, like "who care you're the twentieth generation child of Charles the hammer, non of his offspring did anything noteworthy I. Twenty generations"
I have a suspicion that this may apply to other kinds of bloodline, however generally Paradox doesn't have mechanics for things to end as much as to start.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13430 on: June 04, 2018, 01:33:17 pm »

Dudes, Slavic Norse OP.
The defence bonus be crazy, the housecarls be roflstomping, and the raiding of everything brings in so much money I can't even.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13431 on: June 04, 2018, 05:08:47 pm »

I don't really play CKII, but it seems to me that they should scale the effects of the bloodline based on a character variable that gets incremented every generation (with gender and legitimacy affecting how quickly it gets "diluted"). So for example any child gets their parent's value but incremented by a minimum of 1, being illegitimate by an additional 1, a girl by an additional 1, matrilineal by an additional 1, etc, and then this value is divided by another number to get the percentage of the effect lost. If they wanted to get really fancy, they could have this constant that the variables are divided by be itself a variable that increases or decreases depending on how many living members of the bloodline there are, so if the world is swarming with them it matters less as well. Modifying this number somehow by the sum of the living bloodline characters' prestige would also make a lot of sense.

It also seems to have a sort of pokemon gotta catch 'em all vibe to it, which I think will result in some amusing AARs.

Edit: Oh, and stuff like incest could "concentrate" it, actually reducing the "dilution" (although I don't think CKII players need more reason to be incestuous).
Edit2: Oh, and having dilution would also make the whole system more flexible, since you could more easily justify letting characters fabricate a weak or fully diluted claim to a bloodline (for the purposes of an event, war, conquest, whatever) without it actually giving a bunch of OP heritable bonuses, and you could likewise make the undiluted bonuses more powerful and interesting.

Sorry, lots of edits.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 05:21:57 pm by UrbanGiraffe »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13432 on: June 04, 2018, 06:22:32 pm »

Would be cool if we could have 'starting character' bloodline. That way the death of your dynasty doesn't neccesarily mean the end of the game, you can switch to a cadet branch of your dynasty. More realistic than your dynasty effectively being immortal.

As for the pokemon 'gotta catch them all' vibe, I don't think it'd be possible to do that in one game because they won't exist for all start dates. Sure, some could be long lived, but I don't think the (vanilla at least) game inserts, say, Richard the 1st if you started at the 1000's.

Also, I notice that the William Wallace bloodline in the screenshot on the linked thread is founded 200 years after William Wallace died, nobody on that thread seems to have noticed. For a company that prides historical accuracy (at the starting point at least), it's a pretty glaring error. Got mixed up with William the Conquerer somehow, NVM.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 08:13:23 pm by smjjames »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #13433 on: June 04, 2018, 07:20:16 pm »

Big Wullie died in 1314, I think. Not sure what you’re thinking about.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13434 on: June 04, 2018, 08:01:24 pm »

Start dates extend from 769 to 1337. Not sure what is the error here.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13435 on: June 04, 2018, 08:12:16 pm »

I got mixed up with William the Conquerer somehow since I looked at the William the Conquerer page without realizing it wasn't THAT Wallace, NVM!

edit: Might have been thrown off by this sentence in the devlog: "For example, if William succeeds in his invasion of England he’ll found a bloodline." Which is William the Conquerer.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 08:19:18 pm by smjjames »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #13436 on: June 08, 2018, 10:20:47 am »

The single worst part of the new DLC is wishing I could have had it before I completing that one campaign I liked so much that I wanted to turn it into a mod.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13437 on: June 08, 2018, 11:11:24 am »

New character screens have been revealed. They look excellent.

Some buttons have been censored with images of a confused duck because it's unanounced content.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #13438 on: June 08, 2018, 11:49:02 am »

I demand a Confused Duck leader to marry to Glitterhoof!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13439 on: June 08, 2018, 11:51:07 am »

New character screens have been revealed. They look excellent.

Some buttons have been censored with images of a confused duck because it's unanounced content.
Duck Game crossover?
Pages: 1 ... 894 895 [896] 897 898 ... 1002