Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 853 854 [855] 856 857 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2095138 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #12810 on: November 20, 2017, 11:26:21 am »

What's the bear horse thing all about? Is it an easter egg? Any implications? Can it be disabled?
What who would want to disable that? Don't you love Paradox's epic sense of humor? No, secret bears and horse popes are a core part of the CK2 experience. After all, how could the game be called complete without them?

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #12811 on: November 20, 2017, 11:33:43 am »

What's a "supernatural events toggle"?

e: I was being sarcastic :v
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 05:38:33 pm by Tawa »
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12812 on: November 20, 2017, 11:35:05 am »

A most heretical button that you should never touch.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #12813 on: November 20, 2017, 12:01:48 pm »

Thanks for succession advice. I went with ultimogeniture for both kingdoms and it worked out nicely. It did lead to two civil wars with vassals who wanted gavelkind back, but I crushed them both handily. I foresee that being an issue going on, but so long as my demesne + retinues are sizable I should continue to be fine. I just managed to pick up the Kingdom of Lothangaria (married the queen, had a son, killed her off, then committed suicide to concentrate all titles under a single baby), so now the race is on to create a proper empire to hold all these kingdoms (currently about 5 provinces away from creating Britiannia).

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12814 on: November 20, 2017, 02:18:38 pm »

What's the bear horse thing all about? Is it an easter egg? Any implications? Can it be disabled?
What who would want to disable that? Don't you love Paradox's epic sense of humor? No, secret bears and horse popes are a core part of the CK2 experience. After all, how could the game be called complete without them?

But, are they really bears or is it just a figment of the mind?
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12815 on: November 20, 2017, 03:17:43 pm »

Exactly as the tooltip says: it turns off rare events like strategic advice from the heavens, demonspawn children, discovering the philosopher's stone, and other events that could be construed as supernatural/miraculous/divine punishment. Why you would ever want to do that is beyond me, but it's there if for some reason you do.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 03:19:19 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12816 on: November 20, 2017, 03:22:14 pm »

Exactly as the tooltip says: it turns off rare events like strategic advice from the heavens, demonspawn children, discovering the philosopher's stone, and other events that could be construed as supernatural/miraculous/divine punishment. Why you would ever want to do that is beyond me, but it's there if for some reason you do.
I can see why you'd want to turn them off. Imagine if you've played the game so much you've seen then a million times already. I'd want to turn them off as well.

Also it isn't all good. It can screw up your game when shit like the spawn of satan spawns for your enemy. Or yourself for that matter.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #12817 on: November 20, 2017, 05:09:33 pm »

Does being a republic cripple your whole dynasty's fertility or something?

I started as one of the Muslim berber tribals. Conquered and pillaged my way across Africa and stole the kingdom of Africa one chunk at a time. Then my initial character died, so I went to one of my heirs, who had for some reason converted to Christianity. At this point I had 5 brothers, all with duchies and strong families. I founded a Republic of Africa with the capital in Tunis, where I had left the holdings intact.

So now I'm a Christian Republic surrounded by and ruling Feudal Muslim family members. I gave out some gifts and managed to convince my entire family to switch to Christianity, built a ton of trade posts, and all was well. I'm rocking the Christian Berber Republic thing with vast amounts of gold, stomping on the Arabian empire and raiding and ransacking the entire Mediterranean region (including Rome, haha - this ruler is a terrible Catholic).

About thirty years later I start inheriting titles from my family, who were dieing of stupid reasons like going to war with one another over a county claim and dieing in battle. Looking in the family trees, not a SINGLE baby was born after the republic was founded. All the grandkids of the initial ruler were now married, but not one of them had children. And they were keeling over left and right, leaving the titles to me. My character had only had a few daughters and a son who died of some disease, but I just figured between the 30 or so nephews there would be plenty of inheritors.

So I divorce my wife and remarry a lustful bride in the hopes of producing some heirs before this thing goes completely south, and build out the fertility boosting upgrades. I die a few years later, still childless, and inherit into a 50 year old childless guy with a 48 year old wife. Divorce is denied, so I plot and kill her. Marry another 20 year old bride, and die a few years later. Game over.

Anyone else have an otherwise amazing game just end because their entire dynasty forgot how to reproduce?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 05:11:11 pm by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12818 on: November 20, 2017, 05:46:13 pm »

It's part of the game. I think every single person here has experienced it before.

It's why priority 1 is heirs. Make lots of babies. Marry kids off to lustful people. Get lustful yourself. Have affairs. Etc.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12819 on: November 20, 2017, 06:10:49 pm »

Does being a republic cripple your whole dynasty's fertility or something?

I started as one of the Muslim berber tribals. Conquered and pillaged my way across Africa and stole the kingdom of Africa one chunk at a time. Then my initial character died, so I went to one of my heirs, who had for some reason converted to Christianity. At this point I had 5 brothers, all with duchies and strong families. I founded a Republic of Africa with the capital in Tunis, where I had left the holdings intact.

So now I'm a Christian Republic surrounded by and ruling Feudal Muslim family members. I gave out some gifts and managed to convince my entire family to switch to Christianity, built a ton of trade posts, and all was well. I'm rocking the Christian Berber Republic thing with vast amounts of gold, stomping on the Arabian empire and raiding and ransacking the entire Mediterranean region (including Rome, haha - this ruler is a terrible Catholic).

About thirty years later I start inheriting titles from my family, who were dieing of stupid reasons like going to war with one another over a county claim and dieing in battle. Looking in the family trees, not a SINGLE baby was born after the republic was founded. All the grandkids of the initial ruler were now married, but not one of them had children. And they were keeling over left and right, leaving the titles to me. My character had only had a few daughters and a son who died of some disease, but I just figured between the 30 or so nephews there would be plenty of inheritors.

So I divorce my wife and remarry a lustful bride in the hopes of producing some heirs before this thing goes completely south, and build out the fertility boosting upgrades. I die a few years later, still childless, and inherit into a 50 year old childless guy with a 48 year old wife. Divorce is denied, so I plot and kill her. Marry another 20 year old bride, and die a few years later. Game over.

Anyone else have an otherwise amazing game just end because their entire dynasty forgot how to reproduce?

Were the members of your family you landed part of a merchant republic or regular republic, and were they unmarried when you did so?  Not certain about the former, but I know the latter don't naturally marry.  Second, did you marry off the landless?  As with the republics, courtiers don't naturally marry from what I have seen.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #12820 on: November 20, 2017, 07:00:24 pm »

Yes, when I formed the republic I had:

My character, married, with 1 son and a couple daughters.
Seven brothers, all landed and married, with multiple children each.
Three to five nephews under each brother, with a total of something like 30 nephews - all under 16.

It was a healthy, thriving dynasty of mostly tribal and a few feudal dukes.

After the republic was founded, all but one of the brothers died off before me, despite me being the eldest, and their duchies got split between their sons (some of which were underage when they inherited). Most of them were landed, and all the landed ones got married on their own as they got old enough. Their spouse choices were, as usual, totally random - but not one of them had any children before they died.

By the time my character died at 60 the only remaining heir was a 50 year old younger brother who had lost his title to one of his other idiot brothers and had been chilling with a 50 year old wife in someone else's court for who knows how long. All his sons had died before him. He only lasted another 5 years, 4 of those with a 20 year old wife who still never had any kids.

After I realized my dynasty was strangely dying out I spent about 15 years attempting to have kids between the two characters and not a one child was had. And all the nephews were equally barren and stupidly leading armies in raids and crap to their deaths (their martial skills weren't even any good, most of them were stewardship educated).
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12821 on: November 20, 2017, 07:44:39 pm »

"Cmon, demon child! Where are you!? I can't collapse Catholicism with my pagan armies if we don't uproot their faith from within!"

"Sorry, child, God has disabled supernatural events in this dimension. I am powerless to oppose them."

*cue Cartman's "Mooom" from South Park*

"But Sataaaaaaaaaan..."
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12822 on: November 20, 2017, 08:05:08 pm »

"Cmon, demon child! Where are you!? I can't collapse Catholicism with my pagan armies if we don't uproot their faith from within!"

"Sorry, child, God has disabled supernatural events in this dimension. I am powerless to oppose them."

*cue Cartman's "Mooom" from South Park*

"But Sataaaaaaaaaan..."
And the poor bears and horses also just look sadly from the sidelines. And the grim reaper. And the Highlanders. And Joan of Arc. Everyone just sidelined in a box.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12823 on: November 20, 2017, 08:25:22 pm »

One of my most memorable games involved the time when I was Duke of Orleans and the Duke of Burgundy (or whatever it was) had a child that was the spawn of Satan.

I noticed because we were both characters under the crown of France. This was one of those games where I forced myself to be a vassal for as long as possible so we both were influencers to the court. And rivals so to speak. So as I was looking at ways to sway my rival under my control, I was checking out his kids and one of them was the spawn of Satan. I figured, why not help this kid along. So I donate money to him and watch as he slaughters all his siblings.

After a little bit, he becomes the Duke himself. That's cool, it's what I wanted anyway. But this Duke didn't want to be under my sway. He didn't like voting with me. He didn't support me in my plots. I kinda felt like Cicero at this point, facing off against Augustus. In fact, I'm 90% sure he's trying to usurp the kingdom himself.

Now, I can't just invade this guy's lands. I mean, I could but that would go against the point of the game. I was a loyal vassal. A loyal vassal doesn't just usurp everyone. So I figure I can best control him if I abduct him. So I do. He breaks out. Thanks Satan...

Okay, so how about I just plot to kill him. I'm the most powerful man in the Kingdom after all, after the King himself. Plot doesn't succeed. He knows who did it. He declares war.

He brings all the devilspawn units. Oh fuck. Led by the superwitches. Oh fuck.

So there we are. A gigantic civil war in France. One led by the spawn of Satan and me, basically Cicero. Eventually I win but obviously he's still alive. He has to pay reparations but he continues to be a massive pain in my ass for the entire rest of the time. I even have him excommunicated at one point but that doesn't really change anything due to everyone hating him anyway.

Finally the King eventually settled all outside business and had time for domestic issues. He tries to forcibly remove the spawn of Satan but the spawn decides to rebel instead. Ordinarily this would be a hard fight for the king as Burgundy is quite powerful. Unfortunately for him, I'm not an AI player. So I join in and dogpile this sorry sack of satansperm (at this point I believe it's my character's son in charge now). He's caught. Imprisoned. And his lands confiscated.

Then he is jailbroken again. Thanks Satan.

But at this point he had to flee from France entirely. I'm not sure where he went, but I believe he died of old age in some nowhereland.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #12824 on: November 20, 2017, 09:37:37 pm »

Only time I’ve ever seen it was when I was a Muslim Republic, and I got it. It proceeded to murder all of its older siblings, of which there were many, until it was left.

Too bad it was a girl :'(
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 853 854 [855] 856 857 ... 1002