Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 821 822 [823] 824 825 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2091896 times)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #12330 on: July 26, 2017, 04:04:20 pm »

If you haven't tried it, the beta patch fixes a lot of the problems. I tried a Vandad Karen run a while back. Got bored and stopped when I usurped Khiva, but it's not broken like it is in vanilla, and it's not impossible like it was before that.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12331 on: July 26, 2017, 04:06:50 pm »

The worst part is that the few times *I've* tried to use a secret religious cult to get an empire to flip faith, the bloody thing didn't work right! Nobody would flip, I couldn't give people missions, and it went nowhere.

Then *another* secret cult flipped the Iconoclast emperor fucking Catholic. You'd think an orthodox cult would have an easier go of it, eh?

It worked well in my Aztec case. I converted a few lords, then the heir to the throne. From then, it went fast.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12332 on: July 26, 2017, 07:11:09 pm »

a gavelkin pagan can nom all this kiddies to keep his throne intact and live that much longer.

the 'death walks by' event is one reason to disable supernatural events, but cults are ridic
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12333 on: July 27, 2017, 08:08:31 am »

I don't have M&M but figured I'd reinstall and see what was going. Turns out that most of the UI enhancements I was interested in (like mass prisoner management) are behind a paywall. Great. Oh, and there's even an achievement for buying a UI improvement and then using it? Fucking fantastic, Paradox, well done.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12334 on: July 27, 2017, 01:14:06 pm »

So i have a question.

I know you can export a map to EU.
IF you blob up is it fun or worth it?  Ive played with the idea of building an empire and then picking a new region and building up the locals there, and then then watching my first empire fail or win.

Is EU more fun if you become huge in CK?
Is CK more fun if you quit your initial dynasty for a new one?
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12335 on: July 27, 2017, 01:25:56 pm »

I mean that one *is* a little more blatant than others, but pretty much any achievement involving DLC content is, at the base, that. Ranging from converting both Rome and Constantinople to Jainism or whatever, (need Rajas) to simply settling a nomad (You can do that within 5 years in game, just need a place with a tribal or feudal castle)

A) I don't know so I won't comment, Pisskop.

B) That depends on if the rest of the world is interesting by the time you switch dynasties.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12336 on: July 27, 2017, 02:37:35 pm »

So i have a question.

IF you blob up is it fun or worth it?  Ive played with the idea of building an empire and then picking a new region and building up the locals there, and then then watching my first empire fail or win.

I've read an LP that seemed very fun where the player spent 400 years making a massive Abbassid Caliphate of doom, then switch to England and played EUIV as UK vs. the entire contienent.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12337 on: July 27, 2017, 05:41:52 pm »

So i have a question.
One thing that I've found very fun is doing a Mongol run, wherein you conquer the world in CK2 - with the important thing being that you rule with an iron fist, razing all rebels to the ground and whatnot. That's not the fun part, (well, it is fun). Then you can decide one of 3 ways of what kind of EU4 game you want to play
1. Deliberately make your empire as homogenous as possible and then fracture it to pieces by granting independence everywhere and allowing rebels to spawn everywhere. This will allow for a very interesting pan-continental diplomatic EU4 game where all the mongol successors vie to be the next great khan (bonus points if you pick a religion that allows for PUs).
2. Deliberately make your empire as heterogenous as possible and really remix religions and cultures, and then begin imploding the great mongol empire. Why not have a Zoroastrian Scottish Empire of Russia, a Catholic Malian Kingdom of Persia and a Holy Roman Empire of the Shia Ashkenazi Caliphate duke it out for hegemony over the vast border gore wasteland you have created?
3. Role play as what you imagine your ruler would actually do and just continue on from that. One of my most memorable ck2-eu4 games worked like this, wherein I did a world-conquest as the Kingdom of Jerusalem. While Christianizing the norse pagans, I figured it wouldn't do to leave the Nordics without any alternative source of income to raiding. Thus was born the Merchant Republic of Reykjavic in Iceland. It wasn't long before frozen shitholes in Scandinavia and Russia were making loads of revenue and economically developing immensely. Coverted to eu4, played a nice game as the Icelandic republic of merchant norse pagans who colonized the Americas and vied with the Kingdom of Jerusalem and Kingdom of France for hegemony

Then I guess there's the Miroslav route, wherein you carve up the world under one dynasty like habsbourgs on steroids. That's fun as hells

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12338 on: July 27, 2017, 09:26:22 pm »

ummm immortality happened.

i think?

i died, and a kiddo was born with all my nonhereditary traits.

then gavelkin happened and i became my firstborn high chief and the new me was my vassal.

ummm i have no indication that he is actually immortal.  i resigned and loaded up with him as my avatar and besides my adult traits on this boy i am not seeing immortality.

but i did convert the mystic to my religion, so heh
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12339 on: July 27, 2017, 10:25:06 pm »

situation has sufficiently evolved.

i think i failed.  the failstates for these quests are harsh, and the mystic was buddhist...

i was reborn, not immortal, as this kid with a decent name.  as a fail state.
jokes on you game, the kid grew up to have better baselines than the father!  and the dad was 55 anyway.  and his sons were uninspired mediocrity.

but, it was at a vulnerable time, when i had lost a war that led to the division of my region amoung other pagan groups and i had just broken free from my master (who lost such a subjugation).

i played as the reverse-jesus baby here, watched helplessly as my conquests were roflstomped over.
as of age, i dowed my now-child overlord, with my brothers on supposed alliance.

they declined to help, but also declined their lieges call, and put my whole 501 troops against their 530.

i ... i, the motherless buddhist reincarnation of my father, just killed my firstborn sonbrother in battle, inheriting the dutchy back and winning this war.  this one is surreal. i have had suprising success in all this chaos.
PKs DF Mod!

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12340 on: July 27, 2017, 11:39:54 pm »

I finally got the Crusader King achievement. You know, start in 1066, own the Kingdom of Jerusalem? It was tough going, but eventually I became strong enough to take out the holder of the holy land all on my own.

... After declaring Jihad as the Abbasid Caliphate, a few short years after the Shiites lost a crusade. ... Huh. Don't think that was entirely what they were going for, I was kinda surprised it let me usurp the kingdom from the Irish count who owned it, and I was REALLY surprised when my Jihadi Sultan got the achievement.

Shortly thereafter, I took out the Syrian kingdom, and created the Empire of Mesopotamia from those three kingdoms and Arabia. Thereby getting the Caliphate Strikes Back achievement (I *really* don't think you're supposed to get those two achievements in the same game. With the same character, no less. But I mean, it technically is possible, they both have the same starting conditions!)

Don't think I'm gonna continue that game, Muslim gameplay isn't very great still and I'm not even sure what I would do.

(Side note: I think they should split the Arabian Empire in two; everything east of and including Egypt stays in the Arabian Empire, and everywhere west goes to an African/Maghreb/Berberia Empire title. As it is, it's *far* too big.)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 11:42:32 pm by Descan »
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #12341 on: July 28, 2017, 12:47:52 am »

Ehh, I think the Arabian Empire only looks like it's too big. It's still pretty big, but North Africa has terrible land, and deceptively little of it, as well. I think there's like eight or nine duchies total between Mauritania and Africa.

How does one nomad? I've only done 2 nomad games before, a brief Khazar run where I burned down Russia then plunged it into nomadic bordergore hell, never even remotely approaching Israel, and an attempt at a Uyghur Manichean->Zoroastrian game where I was destroyed by a vassal revolt 10 minutes in.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12342 on: July 28, 2017, 12:55:24 am »

How to nomad: Hold the juicy many-holding provinces for yourself, and when you have to give up land, give up crappy land that is very far from each other to the clans. So they're all split up and easily picked off if they revolt; just go after the main province, you'll get 100% warscore because that *Should* be their only holding if you follow the next step.

As well, hold any and all land with actual holdings in it that you don't care about when you finally settle (i.e. if you were going to spread into persia, take Russian land) personally, and set it to be sacked whenever possible. Use resulting money to improve your nomadic camp and placate clans.

Finally, use tributaries. You can be stronger than anyone around you, troop wise, on a 1 to 1 basis, so if they look like they have more troops than you, simple maneuvering will probably destroy them. I've won battles as much as 1.5 to 2x as big as me or larger, simply because of terrain advantage. That way, you can tributize the menacing nations around you as a buffer zone, and you get some cash out of them too.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12343 on: July 28, 2017, 08:26:43 am »

How To Nom the World as Nomad in Three Simple Steps

1) Start in the Genghis Khan start as Genghis Khan

2) Use your free troops to Nom the largest nation in the world and pretty much one of the three only threats to you anywhere, raze all cities and buildings anywhere to the ground

3) Move your capital to any of the Persian or Mesopotamian super holding provinces and Profit

The World is now yours.
Love, scriver~

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12344 on: July 28, 2017, 10:46:47 am »

The worst part is that the few times *I've* tried to use a secret religious cult to get an empire to flip faith, the bloody thing didn't work right! Nobody would flip, I couldn't give people missions, and it went nowhere.

Then *another* secret cult flipped the Iconoclast emperor fucking Catholic. You'd think an orthodox cult would have an easier go of it, eh?
From what I heard elsewhere they are pretty binary in the stable patch. Either you achieve critical mass and you don't really have to do anything anymore because your members will handle recruiting more members  that recruit more members ad infinitum or it just stumps, stops growing and you can't get anything out of it.

Anyway I'm definitely transitioning to the beta patch after getting a taste of the OPness myself.
Pages: 1 ... 821 822 [823] 824 825 ... 1002