Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 780 781 [782] 783 784 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2093901 times)

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #11715 on: February 05, 2017, 06:22:51 pm »

You know, I keep hearing about how strong retinues are, but I've never been able to figure out why. They're far smaller than any levies I can raise - the only large advantage I can see is that you can have them active at all times, to respond to a revolt or try to take out a single county.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11716 on: February 05, 2017, 06:23:57 pm »

They get a bonus from their retinue type. Add in that they get larger as the game goes on via holdings and realm size...
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11717 on: February 05, 2017, 06:28:41 pm »

Don't forget parking them on a vassal's land before stripping that vassal of everything.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #11718 on: February 05, 2017, 06:52:55 pm »

Yeah retinues are kinda pointless unless you're pull in enough cash to hire and maintain several thousand at a time. There's nothing they can do you can't otherwise do with a levy, except have them raised prior to declaring war.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11719 on: February 05, 2017, 06:55:33 pm »

Well they used to be more useful but remember paradox nerfed them so people would keep using levies.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11720 on: February 06, 2017, 10:44:16 am »

If I recall (although it's been a while since I tried to understand this stuff and I could also just be wrong) the way combat works in this game makes stacking bonuses very good, and an easy way to do that is having many troops of the same type (because then your commanders, if they are good, can more often select the right tactics and stay in the right phase of the battle for the unit type, and then they all get the tactical bonuses from that tactic, and your commander can gain further traits to help them.) So, that means when you're just a small realm 500 extra troops from retinues isn't very good, but later on when you have thousands of them they become an very significant force. Probably not going to be like, you know, 50% of your power, but a lot higher percentage of your power then their numbers would indicate.

I seem to recall having situations where like, 5 thousand retinue troops, lead by a good commander of their type, could very often take on several times their number of troops from technologically equivalent realms.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11721 on: February 06, 2017, 11:27:37 am »

There's also the fact that retinues tend to be high quality troop types, so "500 extra troops from retinues" is usually quite a bit more power than 500 levy troops.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11722 on: February 06, 2017, 11:35:49 am »

It's that time of the week again.

E: Resized the images.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11723 on: February 06, 2017, 12:08:46 pm »

Given that the old map dates back to EU1 and EU2 in places, any work on the map is a good start.  Even over a decade later, I can still see the old "Saxony" provinces in the modern CK2 map of Germany. 

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #11724 on: February 06, 2017, 12:13:17 pm »

You know, I keep hearing about how strong retinues are, but I've never been able to figure out why. They're far smaller than any levies I can raise - the only large advantage I can see is that you can have them active at all times, to respond to a revolt or try to take out a single county.
Levies are good, but levies + retinues + holy orders + mercenaries are even better.

Also the most efficient place to get levies is your capital province.  If you've got 4 provinces total, great.  But if you've got 100 provinces, suddenly that capital levy (and your personal levy in general) is a drop in the bucket and most of your levies are going to be come from your not necessarily reliable vassals.  Meanwhile being an empire, having increased tech, and having a huge realm make your retinues much larger.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11725 on: February 06, 2017, 01:25:17 pm »

Map work is cool and all, but the vanilla map is so far behind SWMH anyway that it's hard to get excited.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #11726 on: February 06, 2017, 04:40:32 pm »

Levies are good, but levies + retinues + holy orders + mercenaries are even better.

Also the most efficient place to get levies is your capital province.  If you've got 4 provinces total, great.  But if you've got 100 provinces, suddenly that capital levy (and your personal levy in general) is a drop in the bucket and most of your levies are going to be come from your not necessarily reliable vassals.  Meanwhile being an empire, having increased tech, and having a huge realm make your retinues much larger.

I like to have a large capital province that I can build castles in. That way I get a lot of benefit from the steward collecting taxes and the marshal raising troops. I had about 20k troops coming from my capital province alone in my last game.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #11727 on: February 07, 2017, 02:54:05 pm »

Gotta go with Exclave Independence. It kills border gore dead.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11728 on: February 07, 2017, 03:18:44 pm »

I truly don't understand why people care about border gore. Exclaves were normal. During the 100 Years War, Navarra had land in northern France, as an example.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #11729 on: February 07, 2017, 03:26:14 pm »

There's a couple of exclaves in an otherwise nice-looking country, and then there's this.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.
Pages: 1 ... 780 781 [782] 783 784 ... 1002