Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 777 778 [779] 780 781 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2094169 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #11670 on: January 30, 2017, 07:47:49 pm »

I want to say yes because I've pushed those claims myself. When playing as the Byzantine Daughter of Satan, I had been waiting for many wears to press claims of the Elective Kingdom of Lombardy, and finally the current king of Lombardy became bedridden without dying. Looking over the current holders of a claim, to my immense surprise I discovered that my Basillisa's two first-born daughters were in line to inherit a claim from a Bishop. I don't recall how that happened (my guess is an affair, or something the AI did before I took over the character, or the fact that I had been trying to marry into claims for several generations, but whatever). All it took was a surprisingly quick assassination and a painless war for the throne, and voila.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11671 on: January 30, 2017, 08:49:54 pm »

So, am I the only one who just doesn't... enjoy republics? It may have something to do with the fact that in the Elder Kings, the Heartlands republic begins as head of state, meaning virtually nothing in terms of levies, which tends to result it its being gobbled up in less than a decade.

It seems to my though, that when I play a republic in general, times just flies and very little happens to engage me. The whole dynasty business simply falls into the background, and military conquest never seems viable, so you just bide your time, waiting for the day you are wealthy enough to mercenary roll the continent.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11672 on: January 30, 2017, 09:29:47 pm »

I'm reasonably sure all of a leader's children get claims on all their titles. Not sure if they're strong claims after the 2nd and 3rd in line to them, though...
IIRC, children of a titled ruler get strong claims. If not pressed, their children will get weak claims. This applies to any government. Of course, depending on government and religion, women may not be able to press their claims.

so claims can be useful when wanting and selecting targets of war and conquest

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #11673 on: January 30, 2017, 09:30:21 pm »

So in that same game I just mentioned, I decided to join in on a crusade because it was peacetime, I had no claims, etc.. I started with about 11,000 troops, which got degraded to about 5,000 about a year into it through combat and siege. I decided to take some small county, out of the way of the big armies clashing around me. A few months later...

"Queen [whatever my name was, Irish names, ya know] of Eire has formed the Kingdom of Jerusalem!"

So that was Jerusalem I sieged... whoops?
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #11674 on: January 30, 2017, 09:46:07 pm »

So, am I the only one who just doesn't... enjoy republics? It may have something to do with the fact that in the Elder Kings, the Heartlands republic begins as head of state, meaning virtually nothing in terms of levies, which tends to result it its being gobbled up in less than a decade.

It seems to my though, that when I play a republic in general, times just flies and very little happens to engage me. The whole dynasty business simply falls into the background, and military conquest never seems viable, so you just bide your time, waiting for the day you are wealthy enough to mercenary roll the continent.

I find that, too. Played one full game as a Republic, and was kinda bemused with it. Women were kind of pointless, men were expensive, your choices are limited for government stuff. I barely even used mercenaries either, seeing as how my vassals had upwards of 250k levies for me for the last century or so.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11675 on: January 30, 2017, 09:51:50 pm »

I actually sorta like the laid-backness of it.  No real need to conquer the world, just the sea...  Shame about the literal patriarchy, but managing the dynasty's not all bad.

Mainly it was neat to actually let time advance instead of constantly waiting down truce timers and trying to expand.  Which technically doesn't require The Republic, but it's easier and gives you a few more event lines to do.

Then there's pagan trade republic mode, which can be pretty hard to establish but then is pretty hilariously broken.  Still proud of breaking out of Ghana to the coast as a tribal, reforming West African, then reforming the Roman Empire... hehe...
(Just don't do the event that sets your capital to Rome!  IT'S NOT A CITY and it RUINS EVERYTHING)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #11676 on: January 30, 2017, 10:04:31 pm »

So in that same game I just mentioned, I decided to join in on a crusade because it was peacetime, I had no claims, etc.. I started with about 11,000 troops, which got degraded to about 5,000 about a year into it through combat and siege. I decided to take some small county, out of the way of the big armies clashing around me. A few months later...

"Queen [whatever my name was, Irish names, ya know] of Eire has formed the Kingdom of Jerusalem!"

So that was Jerusalem I sieged... whoops?
You were probably the biggest contributor to the crusade. If the crusade succeeds, the largest contributor earns themselves all the land in the de jure kingdom the crusade is being fought over.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #11677 on: January 31, 2017, 02:06:42 am »

I actually sorta like the laid-backness of it.  No real need to conquer the world, just the sea...  Shame about the literal patriarchy, but managing the dynasty's not all bad.

Mainly it was neat to actually let time advance instead of constantly waiting down truce timers and trying to expand.  Which technically doesn't require The Republic, but it's easier and gives you a few more event lines to do.

Then there's pagan trade republic mode, which can be pretty hard to establish but then is pretty hilariously broken.  Still proud of breaking out of Ghana to the coast as a tribal, reforming West African, then reforming the Roman Empire... hehe...
(Just don't do the event that sets your capital to Rome!  IT'S NOT A CITY and it RUINS EVERYTHING)

How do you get the trade republic as a pagan?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11678 on: January 31, 2017, 02:16:22 am »

Getting wiped out quick is more of a problem in Elder Kings because of how their CBs are. Overall I think republics are fun enough since you still have access to all the other mechanics, but they do take some finangling and you have to be fine with spending a lot of time relatively inactive. Works for me since I can have CK2 on one monitor and chrome or something else on another, which is how I play most games anyway.

Play as a tribe with a coastal capital, and then do it the same as reforming to feudal, but click the "republic" button instead.

Extra broken with Norse, since the raids let you get both money and prestige for re-election and other purposes.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11679 on: January 31, 2017, 02:19:54 am »

(Ninja'd but eh)
It's pretty much the same as adopting feudalism as a tribe, except your new capital must be a coastal city.  You can conquer an existing city, or build market upgrades in a village (feudalism requires an upgraded keep instead).

The tricky part is that to form a republic (or adopt feudalism) you need to reform the religion first.  Can be difficult.  I think it would work to convert to a reformed religion, establish the republic, then make sure your heir stays pagan.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #11680 on: January 31, 2017, 02:35:40 am »

Getting wiped out quick is more of a problem in Elder Kings because of how their CBs are. Overall I think republics are fun enough since you still have access to all the other mechanics, but they do take some finangling and you have to be fine with spending a lot of time relatively inactive. Works for me since I can have CK2 on one monitor and chrome or something else on another, which is how I play most games anyway.

Play as a tribe with a coastal capital, and then do it the same as reforming to feudal, but click the "republic" button instead.

Extra broken with Norse, since the raids let you get both money and prestige for re-election and other purposes.

You can do the same thing with certain cultures too, like Berber, which is what my Republic was.

You don't get all the other mechanics, seeing as how you can't change succession laws, nor can you change to an Imperial government type thing, which means you'll be 'aving more than a few king vassals once you hit that limit.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #11681 on: January 31, 2017, 05:42:16 pm »

My first full (from 1066 to 1453, actually) CKII campaign is over. I played as custom High Chief of Karelia, became king of Finland, then after some conquest, I reformed Suomenusko faith, which lead to the eventual decline of Orthodox faith in the Eastern Europe. My dynasty ruled Kingdom of Finland, Rus, Ruthenia, and Lithuania, which made Finnish empire together. I survived 2 crusades, got beaten by HRE twice (even though I was a winner against HRE in most of their "holy" wars), and defended against Poland and Hungary. But okay, here's what I learned in this playthrough.

- If you don't stop HRE, then it'll blob like crazy, and you'll have to fight vast hordes of angry Germans.
- Vassals ALWAYS create factions, vassals ALWAYS plot.
- This game needs "End all possible Plots" button (just re-read Interface DD, they don't have that button, but they have plot power indicator)
- The Golden Rule of this game: Always be a dick in-game (repress vassal uprisings, torture old people, humiliate children, wipe out whole dynasties for simply existing)
- always follow The Golden Rule of this game.
- Good is boring.

Okay, time for some screenshots (there are not many, I'll make more when I will wake up):

Spoiler: My score (click to show/hide)

Good night!
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11682 on: January 31, 2017, 06:18:37 pm »

Bordergore? Please, that's barely border, uh, flesh wounds. Very nice, though! Your little empire looks like the perfect size to import to EUIV - not too powerful, as it's mainly on poor Finnish/Russian/Baltic clay, but powerful enough you can enjoy your accomplishments converting over.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11683 on: February 01, 2017, 05:57:33 am »

Wait, the byzantines didn't get stomped on by a caliphate blob?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11684 on: February 01, 2017, 07:12:21 am »

Good isn't boring, it takes a lot of effort to ruthlessly destroy all villains whilst remaining virtuous
Pages: 1 ... 777 778 [779] 780 781 ... 1002