Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 775 776 [777] 778 779 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2093879 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #11640 on: January 24, 2017, 11:06:18 pm »

Finally made it back around to the AGOT mod, which I was enjoying profusely, before the Iron Throne roflstomped my poor little pirate empire.

That feel though, when you find out that your wife is infertile, but you're Valyrian, so you can just divorce her and marry your younger aunt, who is also your cousin and your sister.

Nothin' better than a aunt-cousin-sister-wife.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #11641 on: January 24, 2017, 11:32:05 pm »

That reminds me, I've been meaning to ask: how do I Zoroastrian (specifically, as Vandad Karen?) At what point do I declare independence from the king of Khiva? Last time I tried, I ignored his holdings near Tarim Basin and the ensuing rebellion lasted long enough for the Abbasids to attack me from the west, and the constant Manicheanist and filthy commie Mazdaki uprisings from low moral authority were not helping matters. Should I rob him of all of his vassals? Depose rulers in Tarim Basin? Try to expand into Tartaria?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11642 on: January 25, 2017, 12:55:20 am »

Honestly, i doubt you'll survive without some crazy good alliances as a independent Zoroastrian as long as the giant Muslim empire is on your doorstep, i would sit back until it seems you could easily/quickly takeover the entire Khiva from the king, then immediately apply to join the muslim empire (assuming it hasn't broke into like, a thousand pieces). Once part of the empire you can work on stealing persian empire land... (and for god sakes make sure you get on the council and increase power to allow you to block changes letting them revoke different religion titles for free from vassals.. although it is also often prevented by a lot of capital changes preventing the tech-level from getting high enough.. so you can just support different rulers instead to move the capital).  Occasionly the empire will break apart and you can leave if your strong enough.. as long as you keep a close eye on its relatively strength, rejoining if it gets too strong. One serious threat is that Indians can start pushing into persian empire lands pretty heavily since the hindus have a sizeable holy order they can call on, so without a strong empire to resist, they can get scary... if you pre-empt those landgrabs by keeping the empire strong until you can steal all the eastren lands.. that might be better.

As for those horse-people up north... uh.. their lands take a huge amount of money/time to get you the gains you will need to survive, so i would put off doing any serious taking of any empty lands they have until you feel you are strong enough to hold your own against India on your east and all those raging hordes of Muslims on your west.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 12:58:35 am by Rift »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #11643 on: January 25, 2017, 02:03:58 am »

Which start is it you're doing?

I did an 869 start, and essentially ate Khiva from inside like a cancer, getting claims on vassals to get duchies and building up castles in Bukhara, so I had a pretty significant income and personal levies, and had maxed out my personal demesne holdings and was probably pushing the vassal limit as a duke.

It took 2 centuries to get independent (during which time Khiva managed to get Turkestan and another kingdom title I can't quite remember the name of) and then take Khiva, after which time I started building up the castles in the capital of the duchy that Bukhara is in, as well as the other two counties in the duchy.

I don't remember having too much trouble with the Muslims, but I think they had a couple of losses to decadence revolts, and were dealing with some Crusades so they left me more or less alone. Either that or I had pretty good armies by that point... I generally stayed on good terms with the bigger entities around me though, using my councilor to improve relations 'til I could get a marriage alliance out of it. I usually tried getting betrothals to their heir, as then you didn't have to worry too much for 2 generations. At least 'too they grew up and got titles of their own...

Anyway, the Mongols came along and subjugated me, but it's easy enough to surrender to them after a bit, and they were all warred out after about 40 years. They even converted to Catholicism, allowing me to holy war them for the last few duchies I needed to create the Persian Empire.

I agree with Rift though, the nomad provinces are more trouble than they're worth, and if you have vassal dukes (I was pushing my vassal limit with them almost constantly until I became an empire) they'll probably expand that way anyway, which keeps them busy.

You might have issues with the Indians too, I had problems with an expansionist group, and eventually India was left with 2 empires who could field about 60k troops each.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #11644 on: January 25, 2017, 05:58:44 am »

Doctor Freud strikes again!

Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #11645 on: January 25, 2017, 09:30:07 am »

You know I haven't really continued by Byzantine campaign in a while, but honestly the most fun parts of it were the weird-ass things that happened outside my glorious domain. England, for example, was formed by Pictish Cathars (On English neck a Pictish yoke!). The Cathars were fairly successful in converting, but faced both rebellion from their anglo-saxon and/or Catholic vassals, as well as the external threats of the greater world of Catholic Europe. The power-balance might have shifted to the Catholics, but my restoration of the Pentarchy (which was NOT widely accepted in the British isles) evened the odds. But then, the leading dynasty (an entirely female dynasty it seemed, for what it was worth) converted to Judaism of all things (perhaps to be neutral between the two faiths of their subjects, like Khazaria?). Now there is this England which is ruled by a Jewish-Pictish Dynasty keeping the peace between their Cathar and Catholic subjects (who are too weak and evenly divided to either defeat the other, or overthrow the Queens of England). The chaos of the post-Pentarchy world protected them, but they face serious threats from a powerful Catholic Pictland (Scotland's name if Pictish, England's name is something unwritable like Lweaywagor or something. Actually I'll check now: It's Lloegyr) to the north, who are eager to holy war the heathens from the Isle, as well as the periodic revolts you would expect in such a situation.

You know, writing all that up makes me want to do a more general write-up of my game where I left it (around the 900s I believe? 950s maybe? After Jihads are supposed to unlock I know, because that scares me, but before 1000). There was a lot of really interesting stuff that was happening, both within my realm and without. The Arabian Empire tanked badly, and while they've been able to pick up the pieces somewhat they've had a much harder job with me at their borders, which has prevented them from uniting the region. They've been hampered by the appearance of the Shiite Caliphate in Persia. Muslims elsewhere did quite well though: Andalusia formed Hispania after pacifying Asturias, and it was only around the time that I gained a border with them through Italy that they started coming apart. There aren't many Christians left in Iberia though, so I'm doing the hard work of the Reconquista myself before Andalusian culture takes over everything and prevents Castilian and stuff from spawning (managed to seize most of what is Aragon by now). On the Steppes the Muslims are dominant, with Khazaria by far the largest, while Christianity (by which I mean Orthodoxy) takes its slow time bringing the Slavic Rus into the fold. Meanwhile, with Charlemagne a dismal failure (and there was a big reason for why that was, but I'd need to look it up) the Germanics did fantastically. The damn Vikings all got together under Sweden finally after Saxony fell apart and the fuckers managed to reform the faith. I really do want to write it up now, do you guys think there would there be any interest?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11646 on: January 25, 2017, 05:18:11 pm »

I'd love to see a write-up of that.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11647 on: January 27, 2017, 06:51:53 am »

I'm loving the After the End mod. Except for the fact that I went to play as my hometown and fuck me if I can't escape the shadow of Always Sunny.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11648 on: January 27, 2017, 07:23:49 am »

I don't recall what Philadelphia looks like, but my hometown is deep in the Holy Columbian Confederacy :P  Though I did very well as a vassal.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11649 on: January 27, 2017, 03:44:03 pm »

I'd kind of like a few more scenarios for ATE, in particular a 2020 version.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #11650 on: January 27, 2017, 06:19:18 pm »

I really want to get a Crusader Kings multiplayer game going, I think it would be crazy fun. It's already so diplomatic and political with AI's, I feel like it would be so intense to have a king and a number of players be his vassals (or multiple kings with players as vassals).
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11651 on: January 27, 2017, 06:21:47 pm »

Anyone up for a quick game in After the End (using just the .8 option), though we try to make ourselves in the game as rulers of the county that our hometown is in?  May only be a couple hours, but could still be fun.

Edit: For those outside the area represented, they could select areas that seem to emulate parts of their cultures.

Edit2: Just set something up for anyone interested, named Zanzetkuken with no password (hit 'Refresh Internet' to see if you can find it there, and direct connect to 90106529242449927).  Checksum should be RSNN.

Edit3: Thinking about it, I've had connection issues for when people want to join.  Someone else may want to host it.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 06:55:16 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11652 on: January 27, 2017, 10:07:20 pm »

I don't recall what Philadelphia looks like, but my hometown is deep in the Holy Columbian Confederacy :P  Though I did very well as a vassal.
My hometown is an irrelevant village ruled by a drunken woman. So they got that much right.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11653 on: January 27, 2017, 10:17:49 pm »

Mine's under Pat McCrory, so I know how you feel :P
As I suspected, it was cathartic to invade my home as my birthplace (Asheville as Raleigh).  And then form Greater Carolina, (Best Carolina plus some of South Carolina).

And honestly, I think Crusader Kings is most fun as a vassal.  More mechanics are in play, not to mention the protections.  And the constant temptation of usurping, or rebelling...
It is what makes CK2 different than your typical grand strategy game.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11654 on: January 28, 2017, 12:09:17 am »

I tried out an AtE Shattered World approach, it's interesting. I'm going to have to try again with a "normal" history. I have to say, I like the Rust Cult religion purely from the was scavenging works. That said, so far all of the religions have something interesting going for them. The Gaians in particular let you pretend Lady Diedre Skye just got lost on her way to Alpha Centauri.
Pages: 1 ... 775 776 [777] 778 779 ... 1002