Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 769 770 [771] 772 773 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2093853 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #11550 on: January 13, 2017, 09:35:49 pm »

Bureaucracy.... Interesting!  Iqta is a mix of religion and feudalism, which I suppose fits pretty well with Warlord Era China!
I had no point, except that I'm glad that Iqta can (mechanically, and possible only if you choose ahistorical options) be shifted into egalitarianism.

But last I checked, sadly, trade republicans can't.  Which sucks because trade republics are my favorite way to play, heh.
Not JUST because they're OP as hell (I'd just play pagan) but because they can sorta sit back a bit.  While still establishing trade and reaping mad monies.   Basically?  They don't have quite as much need to go full VULT, while still remaining powerful, and that's nice.
Iqta is just a "feudal with caveats" government. That kind of thing is easy to change in modding, so the specific mechanics of Iqta aren't relevant. The Republic is a (kind of poorly designed) DLC that adds a very specific playstyle which happens to also be a government type, from long before government types were inplemented in their current state. It has a lot of sloppy hacky code that can't really be fixed.

Huh. Weird. I never played Ck2 before Charlemagne, so I have no idea how Pre-Republic Ck2 handled them.
Basically, republics back then worked like republics now, even if they were ducal and on a coast. It was merchant republics that didn't exist.

Honestly, what'd be great is if int he final DLC, the free patch they release with it basically makes everything that's hard coded fully moddable :P
The official statement is that it's not happening, because Republic is such a mess that cleaning it up would take the amount of work of making a whole new DLC.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11551 on: January 14, 2017, 02:01:58 am »

Anyone up for a game later "today" (ie. the 14th of January, maybe around twelve hours from now) either using After the End or the base game, with all of us being the families of a single merchant republic?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #11552 on: January 14, 2017, 09:39:39 am »

Sure, I'd be up for that. Preferably in the After the End mod (checking to make sure mine is updated to the max right now), but if anyone insists I'd be okay with the base game.
Love, scriver~

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #11553 on: January 14, 2017, 09:59:54 am »

I would consider it but A: I don't have the mod and B: I don't have "The Republic" and would probably just crash and burn in a generation or two.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11554 on: January 14, 2017, 10:10:05 am »

Sure, I'd be up for that. Preferably in the After the End mod (checking to make sure mine is updated to the max right now), but if anyone insists I'd be okay with the base game.

Any ideas for the Merchant Republic we could use?

I would consider it but A: I don't have the mod and B: I don't have "The Republic" and would probably just crash and burn in a generation or two.

Mod is here, and since the DLC unlocked is based upon the host, you don't have to worry about not knowing it.  Yes, you may not be experienced in running a merchant republic, but I have no real idea either.  I know you have an estate you can build up, you can build Trade Posts in many places, your heir of the family title is always the oldest male in your family, and the heir to the dutchy can be any family in the republic.  That's all I know, so I'll be learning how to play them as well.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #11555 on: January 14, 2017, 10:34:06 am »

You can designate an heir for the family title, too.

I personally don't think it's as fun as other government types 'cause there's some restrictions in laws, and I don't like that. There is the potential to make a ton of money if you play right, though, which basically means you can build everything up (I had my family estate built up to the max within a few decades of starting a Merchant Republic having been tribal, for example) and hire all the mercenaries for your wars, should you so desire...
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11556 on: January 14, 2017, 11:01:29 am »

I personally don't think it's as fun as other government types 'cause there's some restrictions in laws, and I don't like that. There is the potential to make a ton of money if you play right, though, which basically means you can build everything up (I had my family estate built up to the max within a few decades of starting a Merchant Republic having been tribal, for example) and hire all the mercenaries for your wars, should you so desire...

True, but every single family in a merchant republic competing against each other being players should make things pretty interesting.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11557 on: January 14, 2017, 11:02:46 am »

Honestly, MRs are my favorite government to watch because it's just neat to see them in action.

kinda wish they were created by the AI more often. it's always fun to have a bunch of rival republics.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11558 on: January 14, 2017, 11:53:33 am »

In about two hours til I'm going to open up the game.  Make sure to enable both After the End and its Empires submod.  That submod makes it so the de jure empire level is not completely blank, and I believe allows the recreation of the United States, which could be a goal of ours.

Honestly, MRs are my favorite government to watch because it's just neat to see them in action.

kinda wish they were created by the AI more often. it's always fun to have a bunch of rival republics.

We could attempt to start a Merchant republic vassal state in the multiplayer game.  See what happens in that case.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11559 on: January 14, 2017, 11:54:46 am »

Perhaps. dunno if I'll join. Just the main module and the empire submod?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #11560 on: January 14, 2017, 12:04:23 pm »

Yeah. And that they were killed off by the AI less often. My main reason for stopping during merchant republic playthroughs is that all to calling republics in the area has been swallowed up and and subsumed by dirty feudals.

Love, scriver~

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11561 on: January 14, 2017, 12:30:03 pm »

Perhaps. dunno if I'll join. Just the main module and the empire submod?

Yep, that is all that will be required.  I don't know if the other submodules change the checksum, so we shouldn't enable them just in case.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11562 on: January 14, 2017, 12:40:40 pm »

Unrelated, I find myself taking a break and playing CK over Stellaris just for the simple comfort of being able to disband entire armies WITHOUT SINGLEHANDEDLY \SPLITTING AND LANDING THEM ON A DOZEN DIFFERENT PLANETS.

Ok, I'm good.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11563 on: January 14, 2017, 01:12:22 pm »

Forty-Five minutes until multiplayer game is booted up.  Checksum for the mod seems to be XGYY, just so people know.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11564 on: January 14, 2017, 01:43:16 pm »

Game is set up with the name 'Bay 12 Merchant Republic' and the password of 'bay12'.  Should be open for joining for the next hour or so, roughly.

For those to who haven't played this game in multiplayer before, please use refresh internet in order to have the games display.
Pages: 1 ... 769 770 [771] 772 773 ... 1002