Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 767 768 [769] 770 771 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2093855 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #11520 on: January 09, 2017, 07:37:09 am »

Look at those pretty portaits!
Love, scriver~

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #11521 on: January 09, 2017, 07:40:09 am »

What retinue should I choose? I can choose between Generic retinues or Baltic Warrior (+30% Heavy Infantry Defense and +10 Heavy Infantry morale), but Baltic warrior looks kinda crappy.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11522 on: January 09, 2017, 11:44:53 am »

Hm. Based on my earlier post, how would I go about adding the 'all occupied territory goes to the victor' wargoal to surrender and victory conditions? Because it sounds like it could be interesting.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11523 on: January 09, 2017, 02:00:59 pm »

Hm. Based on my earlier post, how would I go about adding the 'all occupied territory goes to the victor' wargoal to surrender and victory conditions? Because it sounds like it could be interesting.
You could copy paste the nomad invasion CB into the CBs you want. Nomad invasion gives you all the holdings you conquer.

CrusadesInvasions also work like that.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #11524 on: January 09, 2017, 02:05:06 pm »

What retinue should I choose? I can choose between Generic retinues or Baltic Warrior (+30% Heavy Infantry Defense and +10 Heavy Infantry morale), but Baltic warrior looks kinda crappy.
There was like a week long period in which I was obsessed with retinues, and let me assure you Heavy Infantry is bad. Despite that, +30% defense is very good, actually, so it's probably one of the least bad heavy infantry out there (I believe Russian Heavy infantry is the best of the worst). I don't recall if the Baltics have any special tactics, though, and that would determine it. Also, in general, it's nice to optimize, but unnecessary I think. I know I go around with some Byzantine troops even though they are straight up terrible. Best Generic retinue is Defense. Just pure defense. Maybe a cavalry flank to handle Pursuit, but pure defense crushes, and does even better if you can at all import a Scottish or Italian commander.

Speaking of Satan, I haven't been able to sleep (again), so I dropped by the official forums in time to spot this go up:
Nice to know I don't actually need to have demon-worshippers running around in my game if I don't want a supernatural game, though that Hindu cult sorta grabs at your heartstrings.  Also, though it's unsurprising, it's been confirmed as moddable.
Guys! Note in that picture, for the assassins, it says "Is secretly Shia" and "Is not secretly worshipping a different religion". That's a pretty huge reveal. Right there. We are, officially, getting crypto-religions, which has dramatically improved my opinion of this DLC. Such potential!

You could copy paste the nomad invasion CB into the CBs you want. Nomad invasion gives you all the holdings you conquer.

Crusades also work like that.
Not Crusades, but the Papal Invasion casus belli (the one William of Normandy is using in 1066) automatically gives you all sieged down locations at the end of the war (which can be used to AMAZING effect to consolidate your power).
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 02:06:55 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11525 on: January 09, 2017, 02:08:55 pm »

Fun. Honestly, I'm just interested in seeing a world where winning or losing a war could have massive gains/losses. Does the AI automatically go into full siege mode when that addition is added or does it generally stay within the CB? Never really seen an AI invasion that isn't against a realm that contains multiple de jure kingdoms.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11526 on: January 09, 2017, 02:09:59 pm »

Fun. Honestly, I'm just interested in seeing a world where winning or losing a war could have massive gains/losses. Does the AI automatically go into full siege mode when that addition is added or does it generally stay within the CB? Never really seen an AI invasion that isn't against a realm that contains multiple de jure kingdoms.
It doesn't. It acts like normal.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11527 on: January 09, 2017, 02:25:02 pm »

Again, fun. Might do that later today then. Might post pictures if I remember :P

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #11528 on: January 09, 2017, 03:37:57 pm »

@misko27:

What about Light Skirmish retinue? I've heard Light Infantry is great for holding assault. And no, neither Baltic or Finno-Ugric have special tactics.

BTW, after finishing my holy war for Beloozero, I was wondering if I can use religious order's troops as raiders against infidels. And the answer was yes. After dozens of burned down holdings and twenty or so prisoner ransoms, my balance was increased from 865 shekels to 1745 shekels. My current goal is to become king of Rus (It's also very likely that I'll need to fight against Mongols), then I'll probably also try to become king of Lithuania. Man, it's glorious to be Suomenusko!

Anyway, can someone recommend me AAR or something like that? I prefer gameplay-focused AARs over narrative AARs.

P.S Almost forgot! I also captured Russian woman with "Strong" trait. Maybe I'll even convert the wench to Suomenusko, so my son can marry her and bang her harder.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11529 on: January 09, 2017, 04:18:36 pm »

Light infantry and skirmish troops are only good for the first phase of combat, the skirmishing phase. Against other light infantry, it's pretty okay but comes down to numbers.

However, once you get into melee or anything else, both those unit types get absolutely annihilated. It's why you can easily see feudal armies completely roflstomp tribal armies 5x their number. Here's the stats: http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Combat

Check out the melee phase stat difference between heavy infantry, cavalry, light infantry, and so forth.

That being said, light infantry is pretty stinking cheap. Not to mention it is entirely possible for archer heavy armies to obliterate enemy forces before the skirmish phase even ends.

Additionally, cheap retinues are amazing at rapidly declaring war and sieging enemies before they can even do anything. In sieges, basically all that matters is numbers. However, other than that they're pretty worthless.

Here's a retinue guide: https://www.reddit.com/r/CrusaderKings/comments/4533oo/optimal_retinue_calculator_conclave/

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11530 on: January 11, 2017, 07:39:37 pm »

I tried to settle my nomadic tribe after conquering most of the Byzantines and Italy. I handed out eastern steppe provinces to my tribes, so I owned all of the counties and all of the duchies that I've taken, mostly from independence revolts.
And then when I settled, everyone hated me because I was 100~/8 on demense size when I tried to settle in Constantinople.
Not quite sure what to do, as Distribute title only got me down to 50/8.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #11531 on: January 11, 2017, 07:59:21 pm »

I tried to settle my nomadic tribe after conquering most of the Byzantines and Italy. I handed out eastern steppe provinces to my tribes, so I owned all of the counties and all of the duchies that I've taken, mostly from independence revolts.
And then when I settled, everyone hated me because I was 100~/8 on demense size when I tried to settle in Constantinople.
Not quite sure what to do, as Distribute title only got me down to 50/8.

Either gotta keep handing out titles or deal with the revolts that are going to happen... presumably, anyway, I think it's a -10 modifier for every county over your cap? Good luck with that...

I became the Saoshyant. It was very underwhelming, though it did take me 5 centuries to do it from an 869 start.

It is also not very nice when you think you've managed to deal with the Sunni Caliphate and it pops up a few years later that they're Jihading you. Ah well, easily dealt with I s'pose...

My Maobadan-Maobad likes to holy war the biggest, baddest bastards around me though. First it was Egypt for Arabia, which had Jerusalem and Abyssinia too, and then the Byzantines for Georgia, as it had a little bit of the Persian Empire that had drifted away 'cause of some Georgian bugger. Then back to Egypt for Egypt. They were simultaenously dealing with a Crusade, that ended about a week after I beat them, which was funny. Now they're an ugly brown colour.

Closing in on the end of the game, Byzantines slipped through Southern Germany a bit, and Italy is also Orthodox for some reason. Carpathia had England at one point, the Mongol's bothered me for all of 40 years before I was able to get under their yoke their final guy had too many vassals, so I got out without having to deal with their pitiful army. Aztecs hold Spain, Morocco, Tunisia, and a bit of Libya.

Not really sure what to do now. Will probably try to get rid of the Caliph again, maybe take Jerusalem and Rome so I can get the Holy Places achievement thing.

Tangentially, I discovered what Scaphism is. Unpleasant.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11532 on: January 11, 2017, 08:51:01 pm »

Well Ill be a son of a Geebus.

I actually got legit ended on hard and increased ai aggressions.  They all piled onto me and wouldnt let me go.

and I made a few bad choices, but ....

So one of them even broke truce (our truce) to reattack me :o
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11533 on: January 13, 2017, 04:43:47 pm »

You were supposed to destroy the Libertarians, not join them!

or alternative title

'Are we really libertarian if we're a merchant republic?' :P

EDIT: Bad joke :P
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 04:52:37 pm by Iceblaster »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11534 on: January 13, 2017, 04:48:55 pm »

Falcone... sounds familiar...
Ah, yes, it's one of the big mafia families in Gotham.  Excellent.

Also, uh... yes?
Merchant republics being primarily defined by (UNFORTUNATELY HARDCODED misogyny and) being insufferable peasants who must, somehow, be suffered.  Distinctly ignoble stock.  Yet so very powerful that they demand consideration above their status.

So, seems like a libertarian ideal to me :P
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 767 768 [769] 770 771 ... 1002