Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 757 758 [759] 760 761 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2093502 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #11370 on: December 12, 2016, 03:04:13 pm »

Best way to kill my desire to play this game after setting things up just right: 
Know that DLC is incoming. 

It happens every time.  When is CK2 gonna be 100% done?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #11371 on: December 12, 2016, 03:10:58 pm »

That's a fair assessment. The last two major games I've played were stalled by DLC.

I'd probably be less upset about it this time, had it not taken me 5 attempts to get my Muslim Merchant Republic up and running without being smacked down by the Ummayads or an unfortunate inheritance.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11372 on: December 12, 2016, 04:59:16 pm »

Monks & Mystics is the second-to-last DLC CK2 will ever get, according to what Paradox said earlier this year, for those who asked.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #11373 on: December 12, 2016, 06:21:51 pm »

Monks & Mystics is the second-to-last DLC CK2 will ever get, according to what Paradox said earlier this year, for those who asked.

I'm still holding out for a China DLC, and failing that, a naval battle DLC. It's silly that enemy ships can stop you from crossing straits, but you have no way of removing them. There was a bunch of cool naval battles during the Middle Ages, and it just feels like something that's always been missing, to me at least. I know they said earlier they wouldn't do it, but that was back in 2012, so who knows. I still think China would be great though, and it makes sense financially for Paradox, because it could be accompanied by a portrait pack, a couple unit packs and a couple song packs. Bing bang boom, we get China and Paradox gets multiple streams of income.

Anyone else have any baseless speculation for the final DLC?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 06:27:13 pm by Glloyd »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11374 on: December 12, 2016, 06:39:14 pm »

It won't be China. Too late for that and the game may not be able to take it.

Mind, I would very much like China. Just, not happening in CK2. Maybe CK3 or its own game, but not in 2.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #11375 on: December 12, 2016, 06:49:20 pm »

It won't be China. Too late for that and the game may not be able to take it.

Mind, I would very much like China. Just, not happening in CK2. Maybe CK3 or its own game, but not in 2.

Yeah, I don't think it'll happen, and I dunno if the Clausewitz engine could handle it. Still, I'm holding out hope that we're both wrong.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11376 on: December 12, 2016, 07:13:03 pm »

What I want in the last DLC is a revisit to Christendom.

More depth for heresies, more crusade mechanics(why are there no situations like in the first crusade where armies essentially looted the lands before even reaching Constantinople, why is the kingdom of jerusalem always a direct holding of the conqueror/no patchwork crusader states, etc), more ways to interact diplomatically, etc. Just make the Christians, who honestly have few mechanics compared to the other religions, more interesting.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11377 on: December 12, 2016, 08:08:47 pm »

At last, I'll be able to keep the Necronomicon as a family heirloom rather than a disturbing and reoccurring point of trivia for members of my dynasty with too much money.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #11378 on: December 12, 2016, 08:14:31 pm »

At long last, I can play as the king of England in 932 and go on a quest for the Holy Grail.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #11379 on: December 12, 2016, 08:23:19 pm »

What I want in the last DLC is a revisit to Christendom.

More depth for heresies, more crusade mechanics(why are there no situations like in the first crusade where armies essentially looted the lands before even reaching Constantinople, why is the kingdom of jerusalem always a direct holding of the conqueror/no patchwork crusader states, etc), more ways to interact diplomatically, etc. Just make the Christians, who honestly have few mechanics compared to the other religions, more interesting.

Yeah, you're right. There are a lot of medieval events that could never happen within the confines of the game. What comes to mind for me is the Fourth Crusade, in which a bunch of crusaders showed up at Venice asking for passage to Jerusalem. Venice being Venice agreed, on the condition that they help take over a castle in christian Croatia. They did, and then they went and laid seige to Constantinople to get more money, and installed a new emperor. When he didn't pay them what they wanted, they sacked the city and then split up the Byzantine Empire between themselves and Venice, creating the Latin Empire. Nobody really made it to the Holy Land.

It's a hilarious and interesting event, but it's something that is actually impossible within the existing game mechanics. Crusading armies are tied to individual nations, so there's no way to divert them for your own purposes or to load them onto another nation's ships. Moreover, there's no way of forcing an abdication in another nation outside of installing a claimant sheltered in your own kingdom, and there's no way to create a new entity of any reasonable size out of another Christian entity after going to war with them, because wargoals against Christians are extremely limited unless you've reformed the Roman Empire or requested an invasion from the pope (which would be a stretch in this case, as the pope excommunicated all the Venetians who were part of the Fourth Crusade). I think it's a perfect example of how the game's mechanics limit interesting scenarios like that popping up. This is part of the reason I never play ironman, because you can use the console to create cool scenarios, and subvert some of the silly limitations imposed by the mechanics.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11380 on: December 12, 2016, 08:30:40 pm »

Honestly, I think it would be a good idea to bring in a Medieval 2 Total War-like system.

A button similar to raiders that doesn't appear until a crusader/jihad/great holy war is called. Then you simply click and toggle that button on. It makes them essentially a separate political entity for a time. The center commander gets events related to Crusading and has the possibility to get bribed/decide to fuck off and settle their own realm after sieging down a few infidel provinces, etc.

CK2+ has a good framework for crusader states, which is the winner of a crusade/jihad/great holy war has the choice to take the land for ththemselvesmaking themselves only rulers of the kingdom, give it to a randomly generated ruler, or give it to a relative. Still limited, but it gets tht right.

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11381 on: December 15, 2016, 02:09:12 pm »

My new Irish Count game's attempts at enforcing Genetic Purity in the Eire have been significantly hampered by a lack of suitable redheads, which I didn't really anticipate being a problem there.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #11382 on: December 15, 2016, 02:27:08 pm »

Never tried the Baltic religion before, so I decided to give it a whirl. Game is going fine, I'm well on my way to forming the Kingdom of Lithuania But...what the hell? One of the 'better' sacrifices you can give to the ancestors is a young unmarried courtier, often a child. And I thought the Norse were messed up for sacrificing prisoners to the gods. Sheesh.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11383 on: December 15, 2016, 02:34:27 pm »

My new Irish Count game's attempts at enforcing Genetic Purity in the Eire have been significantly hampered by a lack of suitable redheads, which I didn't really anticipate being a problem there.

Invite Nobles/Debutantes to court!

Generates courtiers of your culture and ethnicity.

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11384 on: December 15, 2016, 02:44:11 pm »

Invite Nobles/Debutantes to court!

Generates courtiers of your culture and ethnicity.
I've done that, but I keep getting brown/black haired people. I think that if I cause a ruckus with the Picts, I might be able to recruit some prisoners, but I'll have to do it quickly before they can develop past my explosive Tribal growth.
Pages: 1 ... 757 758 [759] 760 761 ... 1002