Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 742 743 [744] 745 746 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2092705 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #11145 on: October 18, 2016, 08:41:54 pm »

So you have Old Gods and Legacy of Rome.  Those are the most important two, though Way of Life and Conclave (and maybe Reaper's due?  I bought it instantly) will improve your game somewhat regardless of who you play.
Legacy of Rome opens a lot of cool Byzantine stuff, but also unlocks retinues which are vital...  Once you're a king.  As a duke or count you don't really need them.
Charlemagne provides some unusual options (I own a completely absurd amount of territory, I hereby declare it a kingdom) and unlocks an earlier start date, but otherwise isn't that important.

The thing to be careful about, is Old Gods.  Playing as a pagan (probably Norse) is... in a way, like playing any other strategy game.  You don't need a reason to conquer.  That might detract from your learning experience.
Same with Republics, these are "advanced" (nuanced yet much EASIER) modes.

The way I learned was to play an Irish count in 1066.  After several generations of struggle, I united Ireland - then quit.
Personally, I think that's the way to learn the game.  And here's what you need to know:

Advisors should always be doing something.
Unless you're a vassal, your counselor should be fabricating a claim.
Improving your holdings can wait until you have two duchies, maybe one.  It's a *very* long term investment.
Borrow from the Jews and don't pay it back until you're about to quit.
Marriage is important.  Always marry your daughters matrilinearly.

Hold fairs and stuff.  Have fun.
Play your traits.  If you're cruel, maybe *do* torture that guy, even though there's no reason to.
Your dynasty is more important than yourself.  But score doesn't matter.
Fuck the Karlings.
...literally, if possible, but MATRILINEARLY
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11146 on: October 18, 2016, 09:09:05 pm »

Fabricating claims is only necessary if you're going for maximum territorial expansion. If you just want a comfy game where you play honorably and respect the feudal contract, it's not a feature you need to use ever.
Matrilineal marriage is great if you want a big family and big dynasty, such as if you're playing a republic, but as long as the bloodline is secure, it can often be worth it to marry your daughters patrilineally to secure an alliance.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11147 on: October 19, 2016, 09:02:17 am »

Do the AI Mongols usually get this bad now?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11148 on: October 19, 2016, 09:04:26 am »

Seems historically accurate.. -ish.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11149 on: October 19, 2016, 10:58:54 am »

Well, aside from eating byzantines, IIRC the mongols could've gotten into africa if they hadn't been repelled by the mamlukes/!

First link I found, so bitch at me if it's not a proper thing. Just skimmed it to be sure it was more than just 'because x and subscribe for more facts' :P

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11150 on: October 19, 2016, 12:39:23 pm »

It's the year 920. About 250 years before they're supposed to arrive.

The Mongols spawn with like a metric craptonne of troops that cost no upkeep, take no attrition, and are consisted almost entirely of the most powerful unit in the game. They also have insane super ultra generals.

So yeah. They'd probably slaughter everything. Also nomads don't really have demense problems either so that doesn't stop them.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11151 on: October 19, 2016, 02:09:15 pm »

Bad? That's the most beautiful goddamn thing I ever seen.

Pity the Mongol AI never bothers to invade India. Sure, it wouldn't be historical, but neither is Mongol Scandinavia.

I think the early arrival is because of the (default?) Game Rules setting for them, which has them appear 200 years from the start of your game.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11152 on: October 19, 2016, 02:30:45 pm »

The Mongols have been around since the 820s, so I had set it to random. This was taken right after they took over Byzantium.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11153 on: October 19, 2016, 02:36:38 pm »

The Mongols have been around since the 820s, so I had set it to random. This was taken right after they took over Byzantium.

You should swear fealty to the Great Khan and help spread glorious Mongol blue over those lands that still foolishly resist. Or lead a glorious liberation of the conquered lands and restoring Christendom with your dynasty in charge. Either one.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #11154 on: October 19, 2016, 03:11:03 pm »

I'd like to see someone conquor the entire map as the great Kahn.

Also, then see what happens when he dies.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11155 on: October 19, 2016, 04:13:22 pm »

I'd like to see someone conquor the entire map as the great Kahn.

Also, then see what happens when he dies.
I can help you with everything there except the dying part.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11156 on: October 19, 2016, 07:18:59 pm »

You should swear fealty to the Great Khan and help spread glorious Mongol blue over those lands that still foolishly resist. Or lead a glorious liberation of the conquered lands and restoring Christendom with your dynasty in charge. Either one.
I'm a little busy turning the British Isles into glorious Lollard blue, which is about as far away from the Mongols as you could get. Catholicism is a little busy dealing with the triple threat of Reformed Germanic, the successors to the Umayyad's controlling most of France, and the Mongols to worry about me. Definitely interested in seeing what will happen.
Sigtext

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11157 on: October 19, 2016, 11:37:46 pm »

It's the year 920. About 250 years before they're supposed to arrive.

The Mongols spawn with like a metric craptonne of troops that cost no upkeep, take no attrition, and are consisted almost entirely of the most powerful unit in the game. They also have insane super ultra generals.

So yeah. They'd probably slaughter everything. Also nomads don't really have demense problems either so that doesn't stop them.

This astounds me given that Crusader Kings 2 doesn't need to cheat.

Then again the AI is as dumb as a post so maybe it does need to cheat. Not to mention that the characters act like they are in a permanent soap opera rather then a huge geopolitical and personal struggle "No why did you do it?" "Because it will give us ratings!"

It is also rather Ahistorical especially if you understand what made the Mongols so threatening...

Ohh well whatever works!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11158 on: October 23, 2016, 11:32:34 am »

This astounds me given that Crusader Kings 2 doesn't need to cheat.
Then again the AI is as dumb as a post so maybe it does need to cheat. Not to mention that the characters act like they are in a permanent soap opera rather then a huge geopolitical and personal struggle "No why did you do it?" "Because it will give us ratings!"
It is also rather Ahistorical especially if you understand what made the Mongols so threatening...
Ohh well whatever works!
To be fair in history people tended to behave like they were acting out some hilarious comedy to which they were unaware they were the joke

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #11159 on: October 23, 2016, 12:34:02 pm »

TBH, if you consider something serious then you proably don't know the whole story. In the great comedy of life you either become the crowd favourite or die trying.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.
Pages: 1 ... 742 743 [744] 745 746 ... 1002