Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 735 736 [737] 738 739 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2092409 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #11040 on: September 12, 2016, 05:43:56 pm »

Okay so...
Firstly I really love this game, don't remember why I stopped.  So glad it's getting cool updates, and Reaper's Due is great too.
It's so much more playable on my laptop now, which was great, also my dad actually appreciated it (he's an alt-history buff).

Secondly (thirdly?) I would be all about a MMORPG version where you check in once or twice every day or three.
It'd take serious adjusting, of course, but
Okay maybe it's just a stupid idea based on a weird appreciation of vassal hierarchies.

yeah
but there are so many worse f2p browser mmos out there, just saying

/InTaberna
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11041 on: September 12, 2016, 07:39:53 pm »

Secondly (thirdly?) I would be all about a MMORPG version where you check in once or twice every day or three.

I A.) do not understand what people like about such games. B.) Do not understand how they stay invested. C.) How that wouldn't ruin this game.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11042 on: September 12, 2016, 08:14:40 pm »

I A.) do not understand what people like about such games. B.) Do not understand how they stay invested. C.) How that wouldn't ruin this game.

Yeah, Im a little confused? Since you wouldn't be able to have that many people in a server and since you would probably be quickly slaughter by established players to maintain their power you would have to check back almost hourly so you wouldn't be exterminated to the last child.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11043 on: September 12, 2016, 08:20:11 pm »

It would naturally run slower than a SP or even MP CK2 game.
It's still mostly a crazy idea, it just seems within the realm of possibility I guess.
And as for getting destroyed by other players...  The beauty of CK2, to me, is that you have the option of calling on or surrendering to a greater power.  It's, like, the only game I can think of that bothers to simulate that.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11044 on: September 12, 2016, 08:37:47 pm »

It's still mostly a crazy idea, it just seems within the realm of possibility I guess.

Counterpoint, how the hell would war work?  You effectively need to know exactly when it starts in order to provide an adequate showing, and the requisite slow speed of the server would cause movement to take so long that a person may drop away for awhile and probably miss a critical battle.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11045 on: September 12, 2016, 08:44:07 pm »

The "tactics" in CK2 is fairly bad.  Yeah the army-composition is better than I thought, and positioning matters, but it's not anything I'd call core to the experience.

But I definitely don't have any clear idea how it would work, particularly in a map of Europe.  Really I just wonder if there's an MMO that has a good hierarchy system.
She/they

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11046 on: September 12, 2016, 09:31:16 pm »

Not really, there's might & fealty, but it's rubbish imo. Nothing REALLY innovative and captivating out there.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11047 on: September 12, 2016, 10:50:54 pm »

This AI mod just got released: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/mod-court-ai.966888/

The "Court AI" serves the player by performing at background all of the repetitive court affairs and tasks, such as appointing council positions, giving tasks to councillors, promoting commanders, giving honorary titles, employing a court physician, selecting child education focuses and assigning appropriate guardians for them. All while taking into consideration the characters' actual skills, opinions, ranks, relative power and other improtant priorities that are relevant to the player's realm and dynasty.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #11048 on: September 12, 2016, 10:52:00 pm »

Might as well let it play the game for you.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11049 on: September 12, 2016, 10:55:15 pm »

Well... You're still in the business of Eugenics. Which is what CKII is really all about anyways.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11050 on: September 12, 2016, 10:57:42 pm »

Might as well let it play the game for you.
Considering the speed upon you posted that, I assume you didn't even read it properly? Because if you did, you'd know the following:
Court AI offers an extensive control over its features letting the player to enable or disable any of its components during ingame

Like say... the AI in Hearts of Iron or Distant Worlds.

It also only focuses on tedium and not the meat of the game. Unless you consider monotonously assigning educators to ten million kids the meat of the game.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11051 on: September 12, 2016, 11:06:05 pm »

I need to be logged in to "do that", but...
Most of those tasks seem pretty mindless, honestly.  Except in certain circumstances.  I do personally feel like that tedium is part of the game, but, like...  I'm not *proud* of that.
So yeah, I should probably assign my non-spymaster positions to my "strong vassals". (unless I hate one, or there's an exceptional other choice)
And assign my commander positions to the best martials in my realm (unless I want to get someone killed asap)
And have my children educated properly (yes (what (it's busywork)))
She/they

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11052 on: September 12, 2016, 11:27:51 pm »

How much of that is customizable though? There are various times in which I've wanted to appoint people based solely on opinion (once or twice of the negative variety) and sometimes solely on skill. Sometimes I give them out because I want to make someone happy with me, for whatever reason.

There is no way the AI could do that job the way I would want it done all the time.

The only time I take an interest in a child's education is when they're part of my dynasty. Even then, there are times I want the child to fail education for whatever reason, and it's not difficult to ignore the pop-up, or get rid of it altogether. I mean that's what the game is: medieval dynasty simulator.

Once you've got rid of that, if you're a big enough entity - which of course you will be, why else do you play the game? - you'll be speeding through the game because nothing is happening, punctuated by ocassional wars when your threat isn't so high the rest of the world wants to fight you if you so much as look at someone aggressively.

The only thing it needs is an optimization for who to declare war on and get married to and you can just leave it to its own devices!
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11053 on: September 12, 2016, 11:47:22 pm »

How much of that is customizable though? There are various times in which I've wanted to appoint people based solely on opinion (once or twice of the negative variety) and sometimes solely on skill. Sometimes I give them out because I want to make someone happy with me, for whatever reason.

There is no way the AI could do that job the way I would want it done all the time.

The only time I take an interest in a child's education is when they're part of my dynasty. Even then, there are times I want the child to fail education for whatever reason, and it's not difficult to ignore the pop-up, or get rid of it altogether. I mean that's what the game is: medieval dynasty simulator.

Once you've got rid of that, if you're a big enough entity - which of course you will be, why else do you play the game? - you'll be speeding through the game because nothing is happening, punctuated by ocassional wars when your threat isn't so high the rest of the world wants to fight you if you so much as look at someone aggressively.

The only thing it needs is an optimization for who to declare war on and get married to and you can just leave it to its own devices!
It's not there to remove your desire to play the game.

It's there as a supporting aid that you can choose to enable or disable, or choose to only enable parts of. Much like DFhack or Dwarf Therapist, unless you're one of those freakjobs who hates those too. In fact, in some ways this project is superior to other overhauls in that you can pick and choose which parts you'd rather have in-game.

If you have grievances with it or feel that you are too superior for it, then there is nothing that is forcing you or anyone else to use it. Additionally, if you feel you don't need certain aspects of it, you can also turn it off. However, for other people who really dislike mindless busywork, this gives them the ability to turn it off and focus on things that they themselves find fun. Not to mention there are also other people who enjoy watching games play themselves (Distant Worlds and Hearts of Iron let you do this), myself included, as it's like watching an aquarium or idiots arguing on the internet. There is beauty in self-automation.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11054 on: September 12, 2016, 11:51:03 pm »

Clearly not the same in micro-managing every aspect of your domain :P

Excuse me for having an opinion that clashes with your own.

Pages: 1 ... 735 736 [737] 738 739 ... 1002