Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 723 724 [725] 726 727 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2089985 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #10860 on: September 01, 2016, 07:20:37 pm »

Could be bad army composition. Strategical mistakes like bad terrain, supply problems, poor army management (splitting your army and getting divide-and-conquer'd). Could be just poor timing of a revolt. Could be a morale issue, or an issue with raising levies.

I mean, you said a smaller force, and given that generally, a good rule of thumb is "Big forces usually beat smaller forces", we'd need to know more. If you said "I keep getting crushed by people bigger than me" we'd have general suggestions, but if a smaller force is winning...

Who do you play as, and what smaller force arises to bring you down?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10861 on: September 01, 2016, 07:59:41 pm »

As misko said, it could be several things. If he's a pagan, his army is likely composed almost entirely of light infantry, which absolutely get shit all over by basically everything else, even at lower numbers. Otherwise, he could check his commanders or the terrain.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10862 on: September 01, 2016, 08:10:13 pm »

LI blitz worked pretty well when I was playing a few months ago.  If they win they, win.  If they lose, they do get slaughtered a bit.

They were kinda perfect for the tedious post-Empire phase, pretty decent for the kingdom phase depending on where you are.  They excelled at storming holdings.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10863 on: September 01, 2016, 08:14:19 pm »

A) I have all of the DLC. The copy that I have fell off the back of a truck. >.>
B) I'm playing largely in England. I want to take one of the petty Kings and unify England. My last try was in Northumbria at the earliest starting date (Charlemagne,) so it's not like I didn't have an army. Picts immediately wiped me out.
C) That said, I played in Iberia briefly (trying to build forces to claim Portugal.) Within a month, the Umayyad were knocking my walls down, even though I did nothing to piss them off. I also played in France, as the king of Middle Francia. Instant revolt, murdered in less than a month. The same thing happened when I tried to play as the Picts. Instantaneous revolt, tribes splintered, I was murdered before I could hit the "raise levies" button.
D) I just died of fucking pneumonia in less than a week. Wow. That's a record for me. There have been several games that I've taken longer to customize my ruler than he's lived in game.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 08:21:37 pm by MaximumZero »

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10864 on: September 01, 2016, 08:31:33 pm »

...Wonder if there's a Highlander mod. And if it'd work.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #10865 on: September 01, 2016, 09:50:39 pm »

So yeah, got hit by Black Death and despite being the only person in the fucking world with a hospital, one that had 19% resistance, still ended up getting wrecked worse then a bunch of places.
KINDA bullshit, that.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10866 on: September 01, 2016, 10:27:01 pm »

Started a game as King of Mercia. Didn't immediately get roflstomped or die of stupid shit. I've taken over a couple petty kingdoms, and am slowly uniting England. It seems like all of my vassals continually want to kill each other, but I just slap their hands and tell them to knock it the hell off and they stop.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10867 on: September 02, 2016, 01:17:36 am »

Started a game as King of Mercia. Didn't immediately get roflstomped or die of stupid shit. I've taken over a couple petty kingdoms, and am slowly uniting England. It seems like all of my vassals continually want to kill each other, but I just slap their hands and tell them to knock it the hell off and they stop.
How do you slap a vassal's hand in such a way?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10868 on: September 02, 2016, 02:00:05 am »

With the Conclave DLC.

Or the GoTmod. But I don't think it features literal England.
Love, scriver~

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10869 on: September 02, 2016, 04:59:10 am »

So am I the only one who feels like some of the restrictions for achievements are 100% arbitrary?
I mean for one thing, using the Ruler Designer disables achievements. Which is massively retarded, seeing as there are VERY few ways to min/max that in any relevant way, and even if you do they don't give any serious advantage, especially over some of the normal characters. Hasteinn of Nantes anyone? Also it feels like a punishment for using the DLC you bought.

Also, the options in Reapers Due can disable achievements. Some make sense, but then stuff like unrestricting number of republic/theocracy vassals disable it. I can KINDA see how having 30 republics as vassals could break things, but that would take enough work to qualify as an achievement in and of itself.
And of course doing anything to reduce the shittyness that is "adventurers" disables them. Because naturally we NEED to randomly get invaded by 30000 troops we can't do anything about to be playing the game right. Oh and no direct assassinations either. That disables them too.

Indeed, I do this.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10870 on: September 02, 2016, 05:57:37 am »

Ruler Designer would make all of the "play as X in Y" or "convert [province] to [religion]" or "rule over C as B" achievments nonachievments.
Love, scriver~

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10871 on: September 02, 2016, 06:06:24 am »

Ruler Designer would make all of the "play as X in Y" or "convert [province] to [religion]" or "rule over C as B" achievments nonachievments.
Hmm, I suppose that makes sense.
Though there seem to be plenty of ways to cheese that stuff anyway (remember LW's game where he sent a group of Vikings all the way to India to make the British Raj achievement easier?)

Indeed, I do this.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10872 on: September 02, 2016, 10:44:11 am »

So yeah, got hit by Black Death and despite being the only person in the fucking world with a hospital, one that had 19% resistance, still ended up getting wrecked worse then a bunch of places.
KINDA bullshit, that.
Yeah I finally got to play this.  Started in 867, died 4 years later from Slow Fever with a hospital.  My 20-learning physician:

Identified it as "Bubonic plague"
Bled me
Eventually identified it correctly
Smeared me with cow dung "poultices", killing me

Of course, he was my son and heir, so...

Also wow this council stuff is complicated.  I guess I don't need to give them much power until I'm near my vassal limit.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #10873 on: September 02, 2016, 01:50:00 pm »

Also I forgot to mention this but the Khan of Khans in my game has converted to Catholicism. Genghis started as a Buddhist (leading to a great moment when I realized that he had the Ambition "Reject Cruelty"), then his son was Tengri, and somehow converted to Catholicism. And thank the Lord for that, because he also has Holy Warrior and has made it as far west as Hungary.

I just realized I can marry my son to the daughter of Khagan haha wtf.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10874 on: September 02, 2016, 02:00:14 pm »

Your physician was fucking amazing. He discovered a plague before it even came about.
Except he died of the same disease less than a year after inheriting :P
His 14 year old son juuuust managed to come of age and produce and heir, via seduction, before dying at 17 of an unexplained heart attack.  Leaving a 0-year-old bastard in charge of the family.

On the plus side, the muslim invasion isn't my problem - good luck Konstantios!
oh balls they took my bribe and burned down the trade post anyway.  I don't know why I even offered the bribe, I don't think I've ever seen it work.
Ha!  The Sultan died of infection, leaving a 6 year old in charge!

Basically the expected lifespan seems to be like 14 in this world
She/they
Pages: 1 ... 723 724 [725] 726 727 ... 1002