Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Age of Empires Online  (Read 2637 times)

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
Re: Age of Empires Online
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2011, 08:28:26 pm »

AOE 2 did rock fairly hard, if it was a rip of that, and not aoe3 (doesnt deserve capitalization) im interested. 
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2011, 01:27:59 pm »

Sorry for the bump!  8)

So, now that its on public beta for a while, are there any conclusions? hows the game? crappy money grabbing time wasting machine or actually a decent take at the series?

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2011, 03:36:07 pm »

Oh thank you sweet merciful God!!!!

I found a mod someone made for Age of Empires II: Age of Kings (best with AoC expansion) that actually plays it windowed, and properly!!!

Link to one of the most awesome finds ever.

EDIT:
Tested in Steam, sorry, no Steam overlay allowed, game won't run.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 04:03:45 pm by Itnetlolor »

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2011, 04:04:10 pm »

I love AoE 2. AoE1/AoE 2 and AoM were Ensembles best products, now it is just shit. Does Ensemble even exist anymore?

Also, Empire Earth. That game was awesome, I just didn't think the expansion fit the game, along with the AI being a cheating bastard that you really couldn't make progress against.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2011, 04:08:21 pm »

Ensemble does not exist anymore.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2011, 12:25:06 pm »

So hey, necro, AoE online is out in full. Tried it, didn't like it. I like the quest, rewards, and items system; it's tacky, but addictive and fun. It fits fairly well as a MMO.

What I don't like is the payment system. Yeah, it's one of those fake 'free to play' games. The game becomes rather masochistic once you get past level 6 without payment. The game's just shoving it in your face that you have to play, what with the cool weapons that require a premium pack, and those units that have 4x HP and double damage and bonus damage against buildings.

I think it's not so bad as Facebook games or other microtransaction shit, as getting the pack unlocks a lot of items, etc. But I get very suspicious of anything which lures you in, and then rather subtly tells you that you can't go further without paying. It just lures these people who pay to win, removes the actual strategy aspect from the game. If it was more blatantly episodic, like Guild Wars, or if it was just slower to advance without payment, I'd be fine with it.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2011, 08:07:06 pm »

I love AoE 2. AoE1/AoE 2 and AoM were Ensembles best products, now it is just shit. Does Ensemble even exist anymore?

Also, Empire Earth. That game was awesome, I just didn't think the expansion fit the game, along with the AI being a cheating bastard that you really couldn't make progress against.
Speaking of that, the last American mission for Empire Earth II is damn near impossible. Laser mechas versus tanks, anyone?
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2011, 07:40:56 am »

Does Ensemble even exist anymore?
No. They were forced to cancel the in progress AoE4(napoleon to WWI) by microsoft to make Halo Wars, after which they pulled the classic EA trick of "fire the entire dev team the day before release to avoid having to pay out their bonuses, then outsource tech support"
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2011, 08:28:57 am »

Don't you just love it when publishers own the developers?

But seriously, what happened to independent devs that sign publishing contracts for each game separately? IIRC that was the norm in the 90s, but now it doesn't exist at all.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2011, 10:35:26 pm »

I remember a picture from an art book I read a while ago, AoE4 was indeed meant to be WW1, AoE5 meant to be vietnam/modern and AoE6 meant to be halo-ish future RTS. Y'know, when we'd have the tech to do that well.
Pages: 1 [2]