Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Age of Empires Online  (Read 2644 times)

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Age of Empires Online
« on: August 19, 2010, 09:17:27 am »

Lolwut?

I have no idea what to make of this. The site isn't telling me much, but I'm guessing it's something like Ogame meets AoE. It could either be awesome or horrible, and I can't tell which it is because I've never played an MMORTS.

Anyway, there's a closed beta, and you can sign up for it. I'm not doing it because I have a crap connection, but I thought you guys may want to. If anyone does get into the beta, I'd love to hear what's the game like, and if it is any good.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

atomicwinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Age of Empires Online
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 09:44:41 am »

Whats with the cartoon s***? They already lost me with AOEIII, I am not eating this crap.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 09:52:00 am »

Cartoonie, dumbed-down MMORTS that you'll have to likely pay for? Hell No.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 09:56:32 am »

Don't forget GFWL, I sense failure.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 11:12:43 am »

Am I the only one interested in this? Looks like there's some great opportunities for diplomacy here and I love the graphics too. I've personally been looking for a persistent strategy game and this looks like it'd be nice. The game also claims not to penalize you while offline, so that takes out one of the more frustrating things about the genre.

However, the quests system makes me think that they looked at Evony and instead of thinking "Hey, they're using our graphics! Let's sue them!", someone thought "WTF? People are paying for this? We could make a better game and make more money!"

I worry a little about the form of payment, though.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 11:49:54 am »

I had a look at the site, and I gotta say, the thing looks like a huge scam to get your credit information.  Course I'm paranoid about everything.
Nom nom nom

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 11:57:05 am »

Am I the only one interested in this?
Likely. AoE was fun, MMOs are debatable.
Remember The Sims MMO? good game, crappy MMO.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 12:21:28 pm »

Looks like crap.

Reeks of a RTS version of Evony/Travian/[Insert MMO City Builder with Combat Elements Here].

AoE III already put me off the series for good; Age of Myths was the real III. Dumbing it down so five year olds can play isn't my kind of game.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 12:24:16 pm »

I had a look at the site, and I gotta say, the thing looks like a huge scam to get your credit information.  Course I'm paranoid about everything.

I'm not sure how you got that idea, nowhere does it ask for a credit card and if you click through to sign up for beta, it directs you to Microsoft's Live domains.

But yah this looks like a bad idea.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 04:51:26 pm »

Neeeecrooooo.

I just wanted to bring to people's attention that this is in open beta now for a limited time. I'm not sure how limited, I haven't looked into it too much.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 04:55:41 pm »

Is it any better-sounding than before, though?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 05:25:10 pm »

Better-sounding? It pretty much plays like AoE2 with less race selections, and with a customizable capital city.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 05:26:35 pm »

Better-sounding? It pretty much plays like AoE2 with less race selections, and with a customizable capital city.
AoE3?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2011, 06:58:00 pm »

The thread title threw me off. I thought this was like a meetup thread for AoE matches. Those are always fun to have. Actually, it has been a good while since I last played AoE 1 or 2. What we need to do sometime is organize a multiplayer matchup of at least 4 players in a random map.

POST-REVIVE:
Yeesh, just watched the video, and it's like if Worms Reloaded had it's graphics and some of it's gameplay elements forced into AoE (and it didn't turn out too well).

Back to the topic of the OP, I think I found one or 2 programs that did allow for windowed play, but it screwed up some of the gameplay and even made the graphics bug out a bit (you can see the dividing marks for the graphics, especially relevant in the terrain). If anything, if we are to hold up any MP games, we would either have to resort to using the classic "Say" commands or play over Skype. I'm hoping that same program I mentioned has settled the issue with the graphics, because I'm hoping it can work like the Chaos Launcher program for Starcraft, allowing that game to be played windowed.

PR-EDIT:
I remember what the program(s) were that did the trick... sorta. It was in the AoE Heaven forum. Looking and trying them out right now.

The programs in question that have a chance of working:
DirectX Windowed Mode Launcher
3D Analyzer
D3D Windower (I think this was the one I was talking about. Please have an update)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 03:09:19 pm by Itnetlolor »

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2011, 08:20:07 pm »

The thread title threw me off. I thought this was like a meetup thread for AoE matches. Those are always fun to have. Actually, it has been a good while since I last played AoE 1 or 2. What we need to do sometime is organize a multiplayer matchup of at least 4 players in a random map.
A AoE1 match would be great, I just need to make AoE1 play in windowed mode (Have a widescreen) which I haven't figured out yet otherwise it would look horrible.
Pages: [1] 2