Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oh awesome material, where art thou?  (Read 1039 times)

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
Oh awesome material, where art thou?
« on: August 19, 2010, 08:20:27 am »

Seriously, how many z-levels do you need to dig down before you get to magma?
Starting at z-level 135, which seems to be a default
gone 40 z-levels or so down, where is the awesome magma?
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

Funtimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oh awesome material, where art thou?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 08:33:08 am »

If you used standard worldgen, then probably 60, up to 100 deep.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 08:40:58 am »

one cavern. How do you make the magma spawn at a higher level? (ie closer to the embark point)
What worldgen settings do you tamper with?
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 08:42:07 am »

It's completely random.  While I do play with the parameters a bit, I don't use any worldgen mods and I've gotten magma ~10 levels down, and I've gotten it 80+ levels down.  I had one embark where I dug down two levels, sand -> loam -> cavern with magma pipe; the magma itself was many levels below the open space bubble though.  I've gotten the magma sea at about 15 levels down before.  I don't think there is any way to really predict other than the general rule that lowlands = thin crust and highlands = thick crust.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 08:43:05 am »

one cavern. How do you make the magma spawn at a higher level? (ie closer to the embark point)
What worldgen settings do you tamper with?

tbh it'd be a lot simpler for you to just peek with a map reveal tool, it's really that random.

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 08:53:15 am »

tbh it'd be a lot simpler for you to just peek with a map reveal tool, it's really that random.
Yes, I am aware of that, but I would be grateful if there were specific paramaters to alter to raise the level at which magma spawns. Or if the worldgen would spawn a volcano or something.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 09:04:13 am »

You can turn up the number of volcanoes to max and you'll end up with many more that can actually be embarked at.  Also helps to increase the number of erosion cycles to max, to taper off the usual surrounding mountain ring and give you a better chance of some startable terrain.  I do both and it leaves me with at least 100 or so possible embarks that include a volcano on a given map.

drayath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 09:06:01 am »

I have generated a number of large maps recently (df.12), and in nearly all embarks magma sea has been 30 levels below ground. May be worth trying this to see if you get the same.
Drayath's Gem Splitting Workshop - Split large gems and gem trinkets into numbers of small gems.
Drayath's Seed Brewery - Convert bags of spare seeds into useful booze.

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 09:08:23 am »

Can't do large maps, DF crashes while doing mineral deposits.
Gonna try the max volcano method.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 09:19:55 am »

Be aware that it is VERY rare to get sedimentary layers that overlap with volcanoes - this combination can be found, just the odds are very small, probably around 1000:1.  You should have plenty of metal, and it isn't usually too hard to find a volcano with a lot of surface trees available so you can at least make charcoal for steel.  Flux and sand are probably things you want to keep an eye out for since they're harder to obtain in large quantities if your map doesn't have them.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 10:06:34 am »

It can vary a lot. I'd say it can be anywhere between as deep as 120 levels or even as low as 30 levels down (with standard cavern settings).
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2010, 12:04:21 pm »

Change min/max natural cavern size to 4 and 14 respectively in the world gen parameters.  This will place the magma sea somewhere in the 30 to 50 z-level range, guaranteed.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2010, 12:07:00 pm »

Change the wordgen parameters to have only one cavern layer, then embark on a fairly flat area and you can find magma between 30 and 40 levels down consistently.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.