Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Odd purple tint.  (Read 1919 times)

Sankis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Odd purple tint.
« on: March 22, 2007, 11:20:00 pm »

I would have posted this in the Bug Reports forum but I'm pretty sure it's not on the game's end.

However, does anyone know how to fix this? I have no idea what's causing it but it REALLY annoys me. basically the lighter color tiles all have a purpleish tint.

Here's a picture. I'll circle some of the affected stuff. It pretty much affects anything of light color. It's barely noticeable but it wasn't there earlier and I have no idea why it is. Anyone have a similar problem and hopefully a fix?

[ March 23, 2007: Message edited by: Sankis ]

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Odd purple tint.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 11:27:00 pm »

Are you using a custom tileset? That's the kind of thing that I normally see on pictures that have been resized with something other than a pixel resize method, causing the 255,255,255 transparent pink to get 'polluted' with the grey from the tile.

JimmyJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 11:37:00 pm »

I've noticed a bit of this crap on my dwarves too, how did it get there???? I didn't alter MY tileset..
et out of my signiture!!!!!!!!!!

Sankis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 11:40:00 pm »

Nope. No tileset messing around for me. Just the good old 800x600.

I'm going to try and mess around a bit with my drivers since I changed them earlier. I can't imagine they just messed with DF, though, everything else is fine. Failing that I'll re-dl DF.

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 11:46:00 pm »

Suggestion: run a match of Q3A on your machine in 'spectate' with 11 bots fighting eachother.

A very, very good way to see if your video card is functioning properly, because it uses OpenGL and NEVER reloads textures from the files. After a night of that (make sure fraglimit and timelimit are set to 0 so it actually stays on that map), if there is corruption anywhere, your video card is kaput.  I have been using this to test video cards ever since Q3A came out, because it is a real life test using an actual game.  If you have a higher end video card, then in order to fully test it with this method is to ramp up FSAA and AF to their max along with all settings in Q3A, and then setting it's max framerate to something insane like 5000.

[ March 23, 2007: Message edited by: Jaqie ]

Sankis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 11:55:00 pm »

Turns out it was the driver I was using. I forgot I switched them out in an attempt to make S.T.A.L.K.E.R run better. Well, glad I fixed this. I guess this thread wasn't totally necessary after all.

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 01:29:00 pm »

Actually that sort of explains what happened to me (at work...)

I changed the monitor's resolution to 1600x1200 to make DF even tinier and less noticeable, using my 7x7 font. However, I was getting magenta around the edges of my objects as well and thought that perhaps my custom tiles had gotten corrupted. The file had not. Now that I read this I changed my resolution back to 1280x960 (has to be 4:3), and no more corrupted graphics. Perhaps I will look into updating the video driver on this machine.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 04:19:00 pm »

Some video drivers do this quite by intention.  They automatically rescale the textures in memory to produce graphics that look a little more pleasing to the eye at higher resolutions, by taking advantage of the displacements of the individual lights comprising the pixels on your monitor.  If you look really close at a CRT monitor with a magnifying glass, you'll see that blue, red, and green dots are arranged in a certain pattern (it's easiest to see on a white background).  Some rescaling tries to take advantage of this to produce crisper shapes by altering the pixel information as it's displayed to the screen; when you look at a "crisp" line with a magnifying glass, you'll notice that the line really isn't all that crisp at all.  Our brains think it is, but it can actually be much crisper.  This effect is even more pronounced on LCD monitors, which is why the system was invented.

Like many other people, I still use a CRT monitor, so the effect just looks ugly to me and I disable it at every opportunity. =)

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 04:29:00 pm »

In windows, that is not video driver level.
It's called subpixel rendering and has been going on ever since the Apple ][.  Windows (recent versions, IIRC 2000 and up) have 'smooth edges of screen fonts' as a setting, and you can suppliment this by downloading Microsoft's cleartype tuner applet.

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2007, 04:33:00 pm »

2k pro doesn't have that setting (thank the gods, that's what I use at home.) I have it disabled on this machine here. So... that may be related, but maybe not...

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2007, 05:22:00 pm »

I'm confused as to why you are GLAD you don't have the ability to turn something on or off as you please.

And to quote microsoft themselves: http://www.microsoft.com/typography/grayscal/smoother.htm

"Other operating systems

Microsoft Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows NT 4, Windows 2000 and Windows XP have font smoothing built-in.
Windows 9x, Windows 2000 and Windows XP - Font smoothing can be activated via the 'Effects' tab on the 'Display Properties' control panel."

[ March 23, 2007: Message edited by: Jaqie ]

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2007, 05:24:00 pm »

I don't think it does a good job. And, 'cause for me, XP sucks.

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2007, 05:29:00 pm »

OK if you don't think it does a good job then why are you GLAD that you think (wrongly, as I pointed out above) that you can't turn it off?

Font smoothing is NOT cleartype, they are somewhat similar but seperate technologies.

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2007, 05:33:00 pm »

Well, I guess I have a buggy version of 2k then, 'cause I do not have the option to 'smooth edges of screen fonts'.

I do not have it enabled, nor would I want it so.

Make sense now?

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2007, 06:10:00 pm »

Uh... it's enabled by default in 2000.

Disabling web folders or web view or active desktop or somesuch turns off the ability to change the setting, but doesnt turn the setting off. (been a while since I used 2000pro for anything but a server, so what exactly disables the option to turn it on or off I cannot remember)

Pages: [1] 2