Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Plenty of iron/coal Too much of a good thing?  (Read 2070 times)

Altaree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Plenty of iron/coal Too much of a good thing?
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2010, 11:57:44 am »

I am not yet a sufficiently good player of the game that I need to make it any harder on myself than I already have. :) I already have trouble dealing with even small ambushes - mostly because I try to push for a full steelworking industry, and it takes too long, rather than finding a suitable solution before that.
Learn some fun ideas for traps or make up your own ideas. cage traps are very efficient but ultimately rather boring.

my latest trap is one i got from the wiki.

I've built a spiral of walls, dug a 5 Z lvls deep spiral-shaped pit under the walkway of the spiral, and then covered the hole with bridges.
almost at the center of the spiral i left one tile un-channeled and placed a pressure plate linked to all those bridges.
in the center of the spiral is a chained animal (usually a kitten. that'll put them to some use at least)
at the bottom of the pit i have upright spears in a spiral =)

now when the goblins/kobold/whatever try to enter the fortress, they will suddenly hear a meow from inside the weird building and get that unstoppable urge of mutilating a kitten.
I actually found an ambush AFTER they had fallen down the pit. got a bloody surprise when i was gonna pick up the trash from the earlier spotted ambush when i found a few more unconcious goblins in there. "An ambush! Curse them!" turns out they had already been cursed =D

Are those spears linked to anything?  The way you describe it they're just constructed, which wont damage enemies if they just fall on them (The same way it wont damage your dwarves to walk on them if they aren't being powered)

Check your combat logs.  A drop of 2 or more z-levels onto upright spikes will cause damage.
Dan Pearson:
This is a game which calculates the volume of blood in every creature it generates so it knows how much alcohol it would have to consume to get drunk, an update which, remarkably, ended up covering people's fortresses in cat vomit.

Urist McUristy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2010, 08:53:27 pm »

That is strange, I thought all dolomite layers are filled with massive amounts of iron and coal.
I have this one location on my map, a giant dolomite mountain, filled with streams, with enough space for several embarks. Last time I embarked, my hospital had dolomite, limonite, hematite, magnetite, and bituminous coal

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2010, 09:14:01 pm »

That is strange, I thought all dolomite layers are filled with massive amounts of iron and coal.
I have this one location on my map, a giant dolomite mountain, filled with streams, with enough space for several embarks. Last time I embarked, my hospital had dolomite, limonite, hematite, magnetite, and bituminous coal
That's not dolomite, it's all sedimentary layers.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

Dahenk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2010, 08:42:10 am »

I am not yet a sufficiently good player of the game that I need to make it any harder on myself than I already have. :) I already have trouble dealing with even small ambushes - mostly because I try to push for a full steelworking industry, and it takes too long, rather than finding a suitable solution before that.
Learn some fun ideas for traps or make up your own ideas. cage traps are very efficient but ultimately rather boring.

my latest trap is one i got from the wiki.

I've built a spiral of walls, dug a 5 Z lvls deep spiral-shaped pit under the walkway of the spiral, and then covered the hole with bridges.
almost at the center of the spiral i left one tile un-channeled and placed a pressure plate linked to all those bridges.
in the center of the spiral is a chained animal (usually a kitten. that'll put them to some use at least)
at the bottom of the pit i have upright spears in a spiral =)

now when the goblins/kobold/whatever try to enter the fortress, they will suddenly hear a meow from inside the weird building and get that unstoppable urge of mutilating a kitten.
I actually found an ambush AFTER they had fallen down the pit. got a bloody surprise when i was gonna pick up the trash from the earlier spotted ambush when i found a few more unconcious goblins in there. "An ambush! Curse them!" turns out they had already been cursed =D

Are those spears linked to anything?  The way you describe it they're just constructed, which wont damage enemies if they just fall on them (The same way it wont damage your dwarves to walk on them if they aren't being powered)

Check your combat logs.  A drop of 2 or more z-levels onto upright spikes will cause damage.
Yes i can confirm, they do get damaged by the spears. I even have gold statues of goblins skewered by steel spears =)
I needed quite alot of traps though so there's only one spear per trap, while i could have up to 10 for even more gibs.
Got around 150 steel bars lying around so maybe i should upgrade them with new spears :O
Pages: 1 [2]