Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: reactions  (Read 972 times)

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
reactions
« on: August 19, 2010, 04:20:07 am »

Is it possible to create a living creature with a reaction? If it is, how do you designate the creature?
eg: how would [PRODUCT:100:2:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:BRASS] be altered to create, say, a cat?
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: reactions
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 04:25:54 am »

The coding is there, but it doesn't work properly - the creature always comes out as size 1, and is thus always considered a vermin. I remember a couple of mods which attempted to make use of it, but I don't really know how well they worked (or even if they were tested properly, as this was in 40d when Arena mode didn't exist).

Anyway, you could get a tame demi-cat with something like:

[PRODUCT:100:1:PET:NO_SUBTYPE:CAT:CAT]

(might be able to replace the last field with NO_MATGLOSS, I can't remember, but this did used to work)

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 04:57:26 am »

Oh didnt know that, only knew about vermin as a reaction product. Well kind of the same if it just comes out as vermin.

Could make some funny adventurer reactions with that. 'You bash the Elf in the head with your live Elf!'
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 06:53:57 am »

blah blah blah complain blah help insight blah no creatures blah...

Short answer you won't create anything that is actually a creature. If you make a vermin, it's not a real vermin. End of story.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 08:07:47 am »

well, I'm only interested because I want to know if you can make a device that can churn out dorfs, for no reason other than hilarity.
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 04:37:59 pm »

It would be cool, but right now, no.

I've only answered this question like a million times now :P
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

DiGelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 05:31:24 pm »

*Cough.* Alchemy can't be used to create living creatures. Even metagods don't have that power.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 05:41:07 pm »

Full Metal Alchemist anyone?

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 08:16:43 pm »

Giving up on churning out dorfs, what is the "[PRODUCT:100:1:PET:NO_SUBTYPE:CAT:CAT]" equivalent to making edible dorf body parts? or edible *creature* parts.

DiGelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 02:33:49 am »

I tired brining a dwarf back from the dead. All that happened was I lost an arm, and I cracked open the Earth straight into hell.

Icarosaurvus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2010, 09:53:51 pm »

The coding is there, but it doesn't work properly - the creature always comes out as size 1, and is thus always considered a vermin. I remember a couple of mods which attempted to make use of it, but I don't really know how well they worked (or even if they were tested properly, as this was in 40d when Arena mode didn't exist).

Anyway, you could get a tame demi-cat with something like:

[PRODUCT:100:1:PET:NO_SUBTYPE:CAT:CAT]

(might be able to replace the last field with NO_MATGLOSS, I can't remember, but this did used to work)

Wait, so you can make a live vermin?
Couldn't one just design one's own vermin, with, say, the ability to breathe fire?
Dwarven philosophers wonder not the meaning of life, for the meaning of life is to mine.
Rather, they ponder over the meaning of soap, a riddle no dwarf has yet found the answer to.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2010, 10:17:37 pm »

That was exactly what was attempted in previous mods which used the mechanic. As I say, I really don't know if it worked very well (it did produce tame vermin), and now that vermin can have actual attacks if we want them to it might not be necessary to comprimise.

Icarosaurvus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2010, 11:24:10 pm »

That was exactly what was attempted in previous mods which used the mechanic. As I say, I really don't know if it worked very well (it did produce tame vermin), and now that vermin can have actual attacks if we want them to it might not be necessary to comprimise.
I think I will try to make a fire lizard or something, giving it the dragon's breath attack, and report the results, but, I need to some up with a decent looking shop to do so first
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 11:34:03 pm by Icarosaurvus »
Dwarven philosophers wonder not the meaning of life, for the meaning of life is to mine.
Rather, they ponder over the meaning of soap, a riddle no dwarf has yet found the answer to.