Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Complete Shutdown  (Read 1101 times)

Jay Kayell

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Lazy Man
    • View Profile
Complete Shutdown
« on: September 14, 2007, 01:35:00 pm »

Every time DF is either shut down or minimized the computer restarts and tells me that a serious error has occured. This happens on two different computers, both running XP service pack 2.
Decapitation - enjoy the difference

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Complete Shutdown
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 01:57:00 pm »

Does Kobold Quest do the same thing?  It's like a baby version of DF as far as the code behind it is concerned, and that would help diagnose the problem.  Will DF do this from the moment you start or do you have to have been playing it first?  Anybody else heard of this?  I haven't heard a report like this before, and I don't have any idea what's going on.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 04:55:00 pm »

What's your graphic card, graphics drivers are the only thing I can see as low level enough and tied to DF to screw you up like that.  Does it happen even if you only have the game running for a brief time?

Jay Kayell

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Lazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 04:30:00 am »

It does this no matter how long I have been playing, as soon as DF is not the active program it shuts down.

I dont think its got anything to do with graphics cards, one of the computers have a rather new ATI card and the other has a six year old Nvidia card.

Also for some reason it only does this while running in fullscreen mode.

Kobold Quest did not have the same problem.

[ September 15, 2007: Message edited by: Jay Kayell ]

Decapitation - enjoy the difference

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2007, 05:41:00 am »

Sounds like a driver issue to me, but as it's on two difference machines for you then I assume is more likely that it's some software common to both that other people don't have. Does anyone else get this problem?
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd