Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Weird population problem.  (Read 693 times)

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Weird population problem.
« on: August 18, 2010, 11:35:27 pm »

So I've been complaining for months about how the population cap never worked and I would get 20+ more dwarves than I had the cap set at.  Now I seem to be having the opposite problem.  In my last two forts(the first I've tried with the newest version) I've had the population cap set to 30 and the migrants stop coming in at around 18.  A hundred golden scepters and a few pieces of adamantine armor and weaponry later and still no migrants.  So did Toady change the way migrants work now or did I generate a weird world where migrants are scarce.  Actually I haven't had any human or dwarven caravans either so that might have something to do with it.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
Re: Weird population problem.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 11:40:16 pm »

You may want to check and see if there are any humans or Dwarves left alive in your world.  Some of the unpleasantries that can happen in worldgen can easily wipe out entire species before 1050 hits and worldgen stops.
Sanity is for the weak.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 11:57:12 pm »

Yeah, I've actually been getting elven liaisons which is weird.  Well, unexpected at least.  I'll check later but I'm guessing elves are ruling this world.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 03:10:23 am »

Actually I haven't had any human or dwarven caravans either so that might have something to do with it.
Your civilization is extinct, and your fortress and those 11 immigrants are the last dwarves of the world. If you press "c" and look at your civilization, you'll see that you don't have any leaders at all.

The humans may still be alive, only late.

If I wanted to have 30 dwarves, I wouldn't set the cap to 30.

I would set it to 1 for the first year, then check out how many little buggers arrived in the 1st year (probably enough to increase my population above 20 already), and then set it to "<current population> + 1", if I actually wanted more immigrants.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.