Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: You goblins get off my lawn!  (Read 731 times)

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
You goblins get off my lawn!
« on: August 18, 2010, 08:19:59 pm »

So, I'm being sieged. Except, the goblins aren't actually attacking, they're just sitting around the edges of my map on their giant cave swallow mounts. My military is relatively untrained and made up of archers, so I really don't want to send them out of the raised fortified walkway that I made for them, which turns out to be just 2 or 3 squares too far from the edge of the map for them to see the goblins from it. How can I get the goblins to come closer? There are at least 2 or 3 ways that they could path into my fort, plus a couple of chained animals that they could go after, but they just sit there.
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

Galick

• Bay Watcher
  • Dolly says you can help me...can you help me?
    • View Profile
Re: You goblins get off my lawn!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 08:22:10 pm »

Hell, they may just leave after a while.  Wait it out I say or send a sacrificial idiot volunteer.
Damn you google, why are you always so far away? Sitting at the top of my interwebs window, mocking me with you easy information. You are the prostitute of the internet.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 08:33:12 pm »

How about some siege engines to fling large chunks of meat at them.

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 08:42:28 pm »

How about some siege engines to fling large chunks of meat at them.

Not such a good idea. Disregarding that the walkway is only 2 squares wide, I'm on a glacier and don't have nearly enough wood to spend it training a siege engineer or making ballista bolts.
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 08:45:38 pm »

It's a bug with pathing when they're riding flying mounts. A slave/hauler turned marksman will annoy them plenty - just remember to turn off his active state when the first shot is fired so he runs away.
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

Foehamster

• Bay Watcher
  • Zig Frostrushes The Speachless Eater of Saints
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 08:49:33 pm »

As long as your lever is adjacent to the meeting hall, lower the drawbridge and raise it again once the goblins get close. If that doesn't work, lower the drawbridge and send your marksdwarves to mop up the stationary gobbos.

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 08:57:58 pm »

As long as your lever is adjacent to the meeting hall, lower the drawbridge and raise it again once the goblins get close. If that doesn't work, lower the drawbridge and send your marksdwarves to mop up the stationary gobbos.

The drawbridge has been down since I determined that the platoon of trolls that they brought with them wouldn't be able to breach my cage trap perimeter.  They're not taking the bait.

It's a bug with pathing when they're riding flying mounts.

*sigh* I guess I'll just wait them out. (I get what you're saying about a marksman, but I don't like putting my dwarves at risk like that.) It seems like it'll be safe to finish the walkway roof on the other side of the map from them while I wait, at least. Hopefully the next round of goblins will be a little more interesting.