Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What a perfect place to... Wait, no metals?  (Read 4375 times)

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
What a perfect place to... Wait, no metals?
« on: August 18, 2010, 07:36:51 pm »

Three days ago, i started a fortress. It was the perfect place too build a colony: water, trees, peaceful surroundings.. It got a "Hot" biome, but its ok, there is a brook near the entrance. Hot biome + brook = no freezing and no water problems!

But after some time, i begun to dig my fortress deep enought to get minerals, and gems, and every thing necessary but... There is only one metal in all the places i digged. Silver.

Silver! What can i do with silver? No armors, no recipes for others good minerals, my only viable weapon in metal is an hammer if i only have silver.
I don't want to send dwarves to battle with leather armors, woodens shields and silver hammer. I have dwarfs, not humans! A dwarf that dont have badass weapon AND badass armor is not a dwarf!

I have tried to do some "traps walls", but i need a military, at least for fighting elephants (yes, i have elephants, and the bastards never go attack my fortress to get trapped by my cages! They just come every 30/40 mins to attack my wood cutters and fisherdwarfs!)

What can i do with this? Have you already heard of a map that have no other metals than silver? Can i find others metals if i dig enought?

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What a perfect place to... Wait, no metals?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 07:41:57 pm »

I find it hard to believe that you only have silver.  There is a lot of space to dig around in the latest version.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 07:46:32 pm »

I've heard it's possible to not have any iron and I've had a couple maps where there is no gold, but only silver? I really doubt that. Maybe with some really weird world gen.

Dig more, breach a cavern or two...
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 08:21:08 pm »

Never seen a map yet with no iron whatsoever.

GuudeSpelur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 08:25:13 pm »

Breach the caverns.  If that's all silver, then resign yourself to making some sort of silver-only megaproject.  Like a giant mirror or something, like I'm doing now.
This fortress is turning into some kind of supervillain lair or something.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 08:29:24 pm »

My current fortress is just a huge silver mine. Thousands upon thousands of silver, along with some gold, tin, lead, and a tiny bit of copper, but no iron at all.

I just import what I need. The annual goblinite caravans supply plenty of iron.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 08:31:28 pm by Hyndis »

MoonLightBird

• Bay Watcher
  • Hothothothot!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 08:33:13 pm »

Import what you need, make silver crafts and trade for good shit....like kitten biscuits!

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 08:38:28 pm »

I am doing exploratory mining anytime. I have covered a soooo great space... But all the caverns i found were cheap. I have in my stockpiles native silver, mica, alexandrite, balck zircon, granite, and many wierd names stones that i will never use... But no others metals than silver. The only thing i designed in the world gen was the region size.

I -of course- import some metals, but its really "poor". I think caravans give me only ten metals ores or so in a year.
I dont know what to do with this fortress. Its all good, i have every thing that i wnat, except metals. Should i "Have fun" and leave it? I'm not experienced enought to do a megaproject with silver...

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 08:45:27 pm »

It's a sandbox game, are you having fun with that map?  That's pretty much the only important thing.

MoonLightBird

• Bay Watcher
  • Hothothothot!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 08:47:11 pm »

Block out the sky with the silver....then crush everything with with! Who said it does not make a good weapon?

Foehamster

• Bay Watcher
  • Zig Frostrushes The Speachless Eater of Saints
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 08:53:38 pm »

Breach the deepest depths and install a staircase there, then abandon(if you're lucky it won't be necessary to abandon the site manually) and play some adventure mode.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 08:54:20 pm »

Block out the sky with the silver....then crush everything with with! Who said it does not make a good weapon?

Lol... Orbital defense system silver version? Naaa. I said i only got silver. But i did'nt said i have so much. Maybe, fourty units? For hundreds of digged tiles? I'll never finish that system. I'm gonna leave that good'ol fortress, and of course having fun destroying it. I think im gonna go dig a giant room and lock them inside. After that, i will look at them starving and getting berserk.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 08:56:34 pm »

Set up a smelter and see what jobs are available. Make some charcoal/dig for magma if you need fuel.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 09:03:20 pm »

I got a similar embark the other day. I even used dfprospector. plenty of silver, some gold, and a lot of sphalerite. but absolutely no iron ore.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 09:09:27 pm »

Never seen a map yet with no iron whatsoever.
It's pretty easy to have a map with no iron. I've had it happen twice. Both times before I knew what all the stone layers meant, though.

To the OP: Is your only layer stone granite? If so, you should have plenty of cassiterite. Keep digging for tetrahedrite -- every stone layer can contain tetrahedrite, without exception. Mix cassiterite with tetrahedrite to get bronze, a very respectable metal. It's not steel, but it'll do. Additionally, optimize your goblinite harvesting operations and melt the precious iron from it for use in a limited steel industry. It wont' be great, but it'll eventually provide enough to arm your military dwarves with steel armor and weapons.

Having poor layer stones sucks. It's something that really should be looked at in the long term. The fact that most weapons grade metals only appear in very limited arrays of stones just does not lend itself to good gameplay. At the very least every map should have access to iron and flux stone, even if just a limited amount.
Pages: [1] 2