Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: What got you into Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 8782 times)

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What got you into Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #90 on: September 18, 2010, 12:48:39 am »

I was looking for anything zombie/zombie mod. There happened to be a zombie mod here. Queue my entrance...

Tupimus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 18, 2010, 08:54:43 am »

Heard of it over several years, stumbled on the site about four months back in the middle of summer holidays, started playing. Couldn't discern a shit from the basic ASCII, got a tileset, started playing proper. Learning really wasn't hard once you actually could see what z-levels were (height variations, ugh).

Dbuhos

• Bay Watcher
  • Carbon Strain
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #92 on: September 18, 2010, 08:57:41 am »

-snip, wrong thread. :V-
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 09:00:50 am by Dbuhos »

Elmzran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Planetoid 3 Community
« Reply #93 on: September 18, 2010, 11:25:22 am »

I was looking at some ASCII games on this one site I can't remember, when I saw Dwarf Fortress and decided to take a look at it. I found the wiki and read about it, discovering it's amazing complexity. I promptly downloaded it, and was sucked into the game for months before I managed to take an extended break.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 18, 2010, 01:15:41 pm »

There was once a really in-depth ASCII murder mystery game called, shockingly, "Mystery", way back in the late 80s, probably older than that. You walked around a randomly generated mansion, interrogated suspects, and it was basically "Clue" but far more complex. The murderer would even silently stalk you if you took too long to solve the mystery, if you didn't get into a room fast enough, he'd sneak up and club you or something and you'd lose.

I forgot about it for 20 years, and then read tvtropes, and went "Oh hey, it's sorta like Mystery", and started playing, only it isn't, and I'm not sad.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 18, 2010, 01:53:48 pm »

Squidi's blog (his name doesn't cause forum drama anymore does it?) got me to check out the game. I resolved to get back to it when i had less schoolwork and promptly forgot my resolution. He kept bringing it up though so I gave it a go. I'm pretty sure I used the wiki to get my first feel of how to do something resembling a functional start. Got up ot about the point where I needed to learn how to use the military before I found the forums and Captain Duck videos.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 18, 2010, 01:57:02 pm »

i was taking my mac for a joy ride on the official sight, looking for games. was an rpg fan, looked in that section. POW, DF. tried it out. liked it. found the forums later, and here i am.
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 18, 2010, 02:59:21 pm »

I'm another victim of TVTropes. The game sounded fun. I read Boatmurdered and it was amusing but not the be-all-end-all hook for me. Tinypirate's tutorial allowed me to keep my sanity long enough to get a real fort going. But it was Nist Akath that really inspired me to try harder.

Thus far my current fort has cleaned out a Curious Structure using war elephants. I consider that progress.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 18, 2010, 04:37:09 pm »

I read about it on TVtropes, never tried it because it looked too hard. I didn't want to kick myself in the nuts with a really tough, complex game.

About half a year later I was with a friend and looking at some TVtropes pages when I saw Dwarf Fortress again. I decided that it would be funny to suck hard at a game for the laughs. I read some of the stories on the page and played the game a bit. Needless to say, I was hooked.

I played Adventure mode from sun up to sun down for a week straight. Then I tried Fortress mode. I failed and went back to Adventure. I've made several decent forts since then, and I plan to donate as soon as I get enough money!  :D

Few games have won me over into fanboyism so quickly.

Edit: And I've never finished reading Boatmurdered.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 04:49:11 pm by metime00 »
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

ShDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 18, 2010, 04:41:12 pm »

I had tried the game a few times previously, but never got the hang of it and always tried like once-twice at most then gve up for months.

Then I read about it on Penny-Arcade actually.. With a link to the After Action Reporter tutorial. That pre-packaged save-game with the Mayday pack and the pages long walkthrough of almost every aspect of the interface. That was enough to get me royally hooked.

Now I'm waiting to see how many forts it takes before I stop also royally sucking....

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 18, 2010, 05:13:30 pm »

I am another who will attest to the viral/bacterial/fungal/somehow infectious tendencies of DF.  I saw the series of TPS comics about it, watched the video of animals getting caved in on to prevent FPS death. I laughed uncontrollably for some time.  Years passed.  I saw the comic again, decided to look dwarf fortress up again, found the wiki, found the forums, saw mention of "Boatmurdered", read Boatmurdered and that sealed my fate.
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

claer_runway

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 18, 2010, 05:34:25 pm »

tvtropes.
You can't program common sense.

like Skies of Arcadia?:
http://www.youtube.com/user/clearrunway

ZhangC1459

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 18, 2010, 07:31:29 pm »

I actually got into it from, of all things, Runescape.  There's this one bit where an item has "A gem in a gold setting. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality." and I looked it up, it referenced DF and I went from there.  Then I read boatmurdered.

EDIT: Also in Runescape, the dwarf you steal the item from is named Urist.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #103 on: September 18, 2010, 09:36:52 pm »

I actually got into it from, of all things, Runescape.  There's this one bit where an item has "A gem in a gold setting. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality." and I looked it up, it referenced DF and I went from there.  Then I read boatmurdered.

EDIT: Also in Runescape, the dwarf you steal the item from is named Urist.
That is the best thing ever. Say what you want about Runescape, but those guys at Jagex have one hell of a sense of humor.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 18, 2010, 09:58:08 pm »

Reading Boatmurdered, and these things have been keeping me with this game:

1) Boatmurdered & friend showing me his fort, me thinking i want to build and "optimize" one too.
2) collecting pets and zoos, More recently challenges such as FBs, GCSs, HFSs..
3) building flooding systems, mist machines and magma stuff
4) strategy and preparation for mayhem and threats, freeze drying goblins, steaming goblins, etc... Only wish there were more ways to mince them with brutal death machines not to mention butchering.
5) colonizing hell.
6) beautiful riverside sites and the like.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 10:07:26 pm by jei »
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]