Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: What got you into Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 8794 times)

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
Re: What got you into Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2010, 01:58:50 pm »

Hahaha, it was just the wiki.

I "played" the DF Wiki for weeks...

I can't imagine playing without the wiki handy. Would lead to a little TOO much fun.

Nice avatar btw, are you a talking drunken mudcrab?
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Durins Bane

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarves dug too deep...not big surprise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2010, 02:01:43 pm »

Facepunch thread about it. First learned about it there, but it was Boatmurdered that got me motivated enough to learn how to play.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2010, 02:04:08 pm »

thanks to the video tutorials, I always associate DF with a dutch accent.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Mudcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2010, 02:06:18 pm »

I can't imagine playing without the wiki handy. Would lead to a little TOO much fun.

Nice avatar btw, are you a talking drunken mudcrab?

Yup. Its the most dwarfy mudcrab in the Elder Scrolls universe, lets face it.

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2010, 02:12:56 pm »

thanks to the video tutorials, I always associate DF with a dutch accent.

maar dat is een goede ding, ja!

Your avatar is a real-life mudcrab, too... freaky  :o
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Thoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2010, 02:36:28 pm »

Sheer Bloody mindedness. :P
"Do not offend the chair leg of Truth. It is wise and terrible" - (Urist) Spider Jerusalem

newguy12354

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2010, 02:38:40 pm »

Bored on a day without work or school. No good games came out that day, the precedent week or even in the entire month. It was early morning and my online friends weren't online...

Started browsing the web for some intelligent free game that could become a time waster. Found a game called Dwarf Fortress that looked like Nethack. I thought:"Hey, Nethack gave me a few lols even though I never went past the 2nd or 3rd level(For those who don't know, Nethack is a dungeon game and each level is a floor you need to go down into.) So I gave Dwarf Fortress a try. Like everyone, learning curve got me go WTF... I managed to build some workshops and dig into a mountain, then my guys started needing food(My fisherdwarf was fishing in empty murky pools), so I gave up:"WTF is this game anyway? So complicated."

Months later, I find myself bored to no end again and I see the DF folder on the desktop... I try it again, but this time, I go to check if there is any help on the internet. Found the forums, found the wiki... Found out Dwarf Fortress was WAY MORE than what it looked like. Found out Dwarf Fortress was not complicated, it was complex. Managed to find out there was more than 1 Z level. Found out how to go up and down in Z levels... Then it all flowed naturally.... I mean the water in my fortress, drowning everyone, of course.

Soulwithlife

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Fortress Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2010, 03:29:32 pm »

Well, I read the TV Tropes article and thought 'Sweet!' then downloaded it. I promptly crapped myself over the graphics.
So I had a look on Tv Tropes and the Wiki and apparently I could get these things called 'Tilesets'.
I decided I needed to learn the game first though, so I started with one of the tutorials on this forum.
This has only happened over the past week or so.
"Wonderful! Time for a celebration... Cheese for everyone! Wait, Scratch that. Cheese for no one. That can be just as much of a celebration, if you don't like cheese. True? You've run a maze like a good little rat, but no cheese for you yet. Well, maybe a little." - Sheogorath, Oblivion.

Evergod41

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2010, 03:38:18 pm »

Searched "Strategy Games" on Cnet, it was uploaded recently, so one of the first things I saw, and the description was something I was really into, there wasn't a picture, so I had no idea what horrors awaited me. Everything was fine, untill I tried playing. I failed utterly, and jamming random buttons to figure them out, just didn't work... I scanned through all the files to figure out what does what and when, found the wiki, but didn't go to it. Im stubborn like that, I have to figure it out for myself before I get help, never got the Z-lvl thing, and when my 3rd fort died to trogladytes, and an accual lack of a fort. so i finally went to the wiki, learned the controls, and now, I have figured out how to create utopias, with every challenge enabled!

mallocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2010, 04:43:10 pm »

Boatmurdered (seriously how much of a boon has that been for Bay12?) got me trying the 2D version, which I confess I was absolutely clueless about. Still, had me following the development and once the wiki was up and sufficiently helpful I tried again and found exactly what I wanted.

Zwaryczuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2010, 05:28:17 pm »

Over a year ago my brother tried to get me into DF because I was bored of all the games I had. With little money as a university student back then I tried it for about 30 min and said "This is way to awkward to play with only a keyboard".

Several months ago I was really board, unemployed, done school and had nothing to do. So I said to myself, lets try that crazy game again and see if I can understand it.

So now I'm utterly addicted to DF and cannot drop it for more than a couple of days before feeling the symptoms of withdrawal...

Metroid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2010, 05:36:49 pm »

Three Panel Soul...
Lamest reason, I know.
Euler's identity can be used to quickly (and informally) verify DeMoivre's Theorem.

Benevolence

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2010, 06:45:29 pm »

I think the first time I learned of Dwarf Fortress was on TV Tropes, but I honestly can't say which article it was. It involved Boatmurdered. Gave me a completely inaccurate mental image, but that's not terribly surprising.

At some point, I ended up reading Boatmurdered. It was kind of amusing, but that was it. Interesting game, I suppose. Added it to my painfully long list of things to eventually check out.

Needless to say, Boatmurdered did not get me into DF.

What ultimately got me into DF was the presence of another player on another forum, who supported the idea of playing the game. I ended up downloading it, in part because of his encouragement, and in part because of what I already knew, sometime in September 08, I think. 40d was out, but I don't have a clue whether any of the 40dX versions had been released.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2010, 06:54:33 pm »

Someone on RPG.net linked to a page (DFWiki IIRC) about Dwarven Computing projects. A game in which you an simulate computers? Oh hell yes I have to look at this.

Three weeks later & I still suck...

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2010, 07:11:02 pm »

It was actually Notch from Minecraft who referred to it multiple times. I guess I am to thank him.
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7