Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: What got you into Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 8795 times)

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
Re: What got you into Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2010, 09:21:24 pm »

Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2010, 09:23:35 pm »

TVTropes.org is my crack while I am without things to do at work.  I like to read the lists of examples.  DF (and occasionally boat murdered) kept coming up.  So I went and read Boat Murdered, and then I went and downloaded the game.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2010, 10:20:31 pm »

I was on a forum, and I saw some screen shots of it with phoebus graphics I think. I went on. Opened it, embarked quit. I had no clue what to do. I tried it again. Figured out how to pause. Then I went on here and good old capt'n duck taught me everything I know. I would have probably quit long ago if the forum wasnt so awesome. It keeps the games momentum up and going strong. You really all are a wonderful bunch.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

Terv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2010, 10:38:18 pm »

Maybe 3 years ago I was binging on freeware games and was in search of one which would have a high replay value. I knew roguelikes were quite detailed, and most often generated randomly, so I began to search for a good one. I found DF shortly afterwards, played and was horrified at how fast my dwarves died (oh, they need food and booze) and then quit. I picked it up a year later (it had nagged at me the whole time) and had my first real fort after reading the wiki, this forum and watching youtube vids.

Enguhl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2010, 10:49:28 pm »

I saw a random picture of the game and someone complaining about a mason walling himself in.  I then searched the internet for a week or so, eventually finding out the game was Dwarf Fortress. Downloaded it, started playing, took a month or so to get good at it.  Figure out most of what there was to do, *then* discovered the wiki...

I kind of feel accomplished having learned the game on my own (excluding windmills and some other small things).

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2010, 10:56:55 pm »

I forget where exactly I found it, but I've always been a fans of roguelikes and remember hearing about it somewhere on a nethack forum or post or something. At first I didn't pay it any mind but then I heard it was kind of like a city simulator. That really hooked me, a city building roguelike. So i downloaded it and it took long to world gen for me. So i ditched it. Then a year later I tried again. This time my computer was dying and all i got was a black screen. Ditched it again. Then about another year later I saw a web comic and said one more try, this game gets one more try. It gen'd pretty quick on my new used pc, and t wasn't a blank screen. Success! And now I'm completely hooked. This game has taken over my life. I like playing it, i like reading about anything I can find about it. Within a few days it became one of my top 5 favorite games of all time, and I'm really fussy.
My fortress brings all the dorfs to mah yard...

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2010, 11:02:57 pm »

Coming off of a really long stint of hengband, in an apartment that had no internet access.  I started receiving a magazine (that I apperantly ordered from one of those kids selling stuff for their school that I forgot about).  I don't recall the magazine's name because it was more than 3 years ago.  One of those computer tech magazines.

It had a section in it called the Freeloader.  And Dwarf Fortress was mentioned in a small part of a page.  Something about the article peaked my intrest and one of the first things I did when I had internet access again was come to Bay12 to check it out.    The graphics didn't bother me since I was recently playing a true rougelike which probably helped a lot at not driving me away..

Either the wiki wasn't around then, or I didn't know about it because I learned the game from reading forum posts.  About a month later I finally had a more or less stable fortress that had reached the magma river. Shortly after that I stopped lurking and joined the forums. 

Joining the forums was a big jump for me, before this forum I could count all the posts I made on any message board on one hand.  And even now this is still the only forum that I have more than 10 posts in.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2010, 11:24:01 pm »

Someone uttered the catchphrase of Boatmurdered (too vulgar for this forum, of course).  I asked what the heck Boatmurdered even meant, and he pointed me to the LP Archives.  One read later, it was pretty much inevitable I was going to play Dwarf Fortress and love it to pieces.
Sanity is for the weak.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2010, 11:25:56 pm »

Someone uttered the catchphrase of Boatmurdered (too vulgar for this forum, of course).  I asked what the heck Boatmurdered even meant, and he pointed me to the LP Archives.  One read later, it was pretty much inevitable I was going to play Dwarf Fortress and love it to pieces.

Too vulgar for this forum? We have a thread concerning mass, systematic murder by drowning of merpeople for their valuable bone-bits. I'm surprised we can't go any lower.
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2010, 11:32:56 pm »

Too vulgar for this forum? We have a thread concerning mass, systematic murder by drowning of merpeople for their valuable bone-bits. I'm surprised we can't go any lower.

Trust me, mass genocide of a single intelligent race is child's play compared to the things I do in Adventurer mode.  You'd never look at a microcline pebble the same way again if I described them.

Actually my point was that, in spite of our frequently despicable hobbies involving genocide, magma, fire, mass deforestation, wildlife depletion, and destabilization of entire worlds' economies, the ToS forbids certain words from being uttered here.  Which seems somewhat ironic in light of all that.
Sanity is for the weak.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2010, 11:35:36 pm »

Toady is actually pretty chill and understanding when it comes to swearing. However, he will drop the hammer on you if you insult anyone or are a crazy racist.

Dearnen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2010, 12:40:02 am »

A few months ago while playing Transformice I saw Dwarf Fortress mentioned in chat.  As someone who likes both dwarves and fortresses, I was intrigued.  I googled it and became an addict within a couple of days.

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2010, 12:42:46 am »

Boatmurdered was what actually got me to figure out the interface.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2010, 12:49:39 am »

PC Powerplay, a gaming mag here in Australia, had a copy on its demo disk under the free games section a few years back. I started playing, and after a few false starts ("Wait, pale blue means sky? Huh!") and a lot of referring to the ingame help page, I managed to figure it out. Haven't looked back since :P
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

rat_pack40

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2010, 01:11:53 am »

Had a friend tell me that I NEEDED to play it, showing me a fort he had at 20+ years, and handing me a copy.
Several dozen dead forts in 40d16 later, I finally figured out how to farm, and everything went downhill from there.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7