Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: What got you into Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 8780 times)

RustyTheBrave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What got you into Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #75 on: September 17, 2010, 05:06:20 pm »

I, too, started after I read the chronicle of Boatmurdered and, later, Syrupleaf after browsing 1d4Chan and finding the link for them in there. I loved the look of the game, the whole ASCII thing and whatnot, and although it took me a while to grok the controls, I kept at it until I learned and conquered.

EvilCartyen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 17, 2010, 05:59:05 pm »

Well, I guess my quest for a simulation which didn't cut any corners in terms of complexibility was bound to make me find this eventually. I am fairly certain I just googled 'most complex computer game' and looked around for a few hours.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 17, 2010, 08:12:45 pm »

I had heard about it a bit, not much but a bit, and was a little interested but 1)I didn't know where to find it, 2)too lazy to look for it, and 3)It didn't seem REALLY interesting. Then one of my regular webcomics, Nerfnow, decided to go a very very small arc on it, with a link, I giggled, said what the hell and jumpped in. I am extremely happy with it :P
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Jualin

• Bay Watcher
  • What's that sound?
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 17, 2010, 09:29:11 pm »

WELCOME TO FUCKING BOATMURDERED! Hope you like miasma!

One of the first things I ever saw of Dwarf Fortress. I, too, came from tvtropes to see what it was about. The result was a very long archive binge, followed by a detailed reading up on the wiki, followed by utter confusion.

I can't say that I've ever liked Dwarf Fortress. But I have always appreciated it.

Nigma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Project Nutshot
« Reply #79 on: September 17, 2010, 10:13:10 pm »

Friend of mine told me it was the most hard to figure out game he ever saw... so we started playing it... the end.

(no idea where he got it from)
Project Nutshot
I dont use MSN and such, just add me on Steam

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 17, 2010, 10:19:15 pm »

Like the OPer, for me, it all started from TV Tropes. Amusing stories about things like a !!dwarf!! getting a drink from the booze stockpile, turning it into a !!booze stockpile!!, realizing he's injured and going to recuperate in his !!bed!! and dying... To trigger other dwarves wanting to claim his !!rope reed socks!!. I believe that particular entry was "Disaster Dominoes." Read plenty of other entries, including the "good bad bug" involving carp.

Anyway, I eventually clicked over to the main DF Trope page and found my way to the wiki, where I read a few amusing D for Dwarf entries...

"Boatmurdered?" That's a weird name for an entry... Quite a while later: "I have to learn how to play this."

YouTube Search for "Let's Play Dwarf Fortress" and I get a playlist made by a certain high ranking waterfowl.

Many unsuccessful forts later, here I am.

Oh, and I'm off to read some Three Panel Soul, now.
Bronze Dog has been feeling rather happy lately. He is fond of scimitars, black bronze, turquoise, and kobolds for their underdog status.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 17, 2010, 10:22:27 pm »

I was on the Adom Forums and I saw a topic saying "Dwarf Fortress? More like alchoholic fortress :(" and I think it was about how someone was playing the game with no wealth or military, just booze.

A few years later I decided to download it and play the almighty Fortress Mode (The ASCII didn't freak me out because I had been playing Nethack for years and had been playing Adom for about 2 years) and I thought WHAT?!? This SUCKS! because I couldn't do ANYTHING at all (Didn't know how).

I decided to play Adventure mode and LOVED it so I decided to give fortress mode a chance. I still sucked D:. Soon I discovered the forums and the wiki, Months pass and I'm still climbing the learning cliff

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 17, 2010, 10:46:51 pm »

Tvtropes.com got me to read Boatmurdered, and I was hooked.
I couldn't get away if I wanted to...

All burns...

Chicken Launcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Poultry Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 17, 2010, 11:07:48 pm »

I first heard about it a couple of times on reddit, and when I saw it being discussed in a "recommended fantasy games" thread, I checked it out. I learned the basics of how to play using http://afteractionreporter.com/2009/02/09/the-complete-and-utter-newby-tutorial-for-dwarf-fortress-part-1-wtf/. Around that time I read boatmurdered, and that really drew me in. I think to this date it's one of my favorite stories of all time. Captnduck's videos then taught me pretty much everything there is to know, and since then, I've loved the game.
"Did you ever notice any time you see two groups of people who really hate each other, chances are good they’re wearing different kinds of hats? Keep an eye on that, it might be important." - George Carlin

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 17, 2010, 11:25:00 pm »

I first heard about it on TV Tropes back in it's 2d days.  I read about it, and it painted (somehow) an image of a game with Quake graphics set in Moria.  From there, I went to Boatmurdered, and by that time 3d was out, so...
Downloaded, and never went back.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #85 on: September 17, 2010, 11:34:17 pm »

For me, it was also TVTropes. I remember reading a few pages where they would mention DF. Then when I saw the actual DF page, it sounded too amazing to pass up.

A tutorial and few forts later here I am.
This.

I must have nerves of steel or something, because I didn't simultaneously crap my pants and have a brain aneurysm when the ASCII graphics and learning curve cliff circle hit me. I've stuck with it since then, through all the frustration, and now I'm nearing the stage where I can call myself a veteran (i.e. figured out 1/10 of the game).

Seriously, if you've never been to the TvTropes Page, read it. It does a remarkable job of explaining just how awesome DF is.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 11:42:01 pm by Gatleos »
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 17, 2010, 11:52:01 pm »

When I saw the ASCII, I spent a half-hour using the loo{k} command to familiarize myself with what all this crap means. The only thing I guessed about was trees. I guess I'm one of the few who stopped to read all the menus first.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Samrobot

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill it! Burn it! Just make sure it's dead!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 17, 2010, 11:59:33 pm »

I forgot its basically all a blur on how i got into this awesome game of superior intellect, unholy imagination, and clowns.  When i first gave it a try i was like WTF!?!? didn't play for a while tried again read boatmurdered and i was hooked.  I am now like you guys a bunch of elf killing, kitten eating, booze drinking bunch of short bearded people.
Dwarf Fortress: we take assisted suicide of minors very seriously!

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 18, 2010, 12:45:40 am »

People couldn't stop ranting and raving over it over on the TES forums. I didn't really become interested until I read through one of the DF threads and saw that there were graphic tile sets. Even now, as good as the game is, I couldn't stand playing it in straight ascii.

leftycook

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 18, 2010, 12:47:22 am »

all the discussion on 4chan and 7chan
if a game can garner that much love from sites that rip into everything, i thought it must be good :>
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7