Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: What got you into Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 8781 times)

Dahenk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What got you into Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2010, 07:55:56 pm »

A friend of mine mentioned it and told me that you could do so many different things in it. I got hooked immediately and decided that i wanted to know how to play this game, no matter how hard it was.
thx to cptduck i didn't even fail my first fort, despite many goblin sieges =)

this was almost 2 years ago

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2010, 08:46:25 pm »

What go me into Dwarf Fortress is reading the ever classic Boatmurdered on the LetsPlay archives, before reading that, i had no idea what was really Dwarf Fortress before, just having heard about it and thinking it was just another rogue-like.

Can't thanks the DF wiki writers enough for the old tutorial just before the 3D version changed everything.

Dahenk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2010, 09:35:26 pm »

I got a migraine a few days later, went home from school early, and spent the afternoon/evening learning how to dig staircases and such.
LOL, If i had a migraine it would be CAUSED by Dwarf Fortress!

seriously, you're just torturing your brain playing DF with migraine :O

oolon1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2010, 10:29:30 pm »

While I don't remember exactly, I think it was back in 2006 when I was researching dwarves for an RPG I was working on.  Completely accidental (and nerdy).  I then proceeded to introduce many people to the game.

GuudeSpelur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2010, 10:32:18 pm »

Reading about it on TvTropes, going "that sounds awesome!" and then reading Boatmurdered and being like  :D
This fortress is turning into some kind of supervillain lair or something.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?

terminal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2010, 10:41:02 am »

I saw the Bronzemurder illustration and it was enough to make me see what dwarf fortress was.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2010, 10:42:25 am »

Nice, that's one person recruited by Bronzemurder. I wonder how many more?
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2010, 01:26:21 pm »

While I can't be certain, I'm fairly sure I started with Boatmurdered (and Headshoots). Having looked at it, I found a tutorial, dug into the top of a magma pipe about four steps ahead of plan, and realised that the fire imps were killing everyone. I then read some more on TV Tropes, and decided to try without a tutorial, but using the wiki to refer to.

I've had a single fort, out of dozens, reach the point where I got ambushes. But my starting builds are really really optimised!
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Srial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2010, 01:32:21 pm »

I had heard of the game for a couple years and thought about playing it since I've played angband forever, I even played the original rogue in high school for a while.

I attended Pax East this year and they had an entire panel on 'Losing should be fun' all about how the mechanics of losing in video games has evolved over the years and they made many references to DF during it.  In fact, the entire concept of the panel was based off an interview these two guys had done with Toady and how about how great there was a game out there where losing in new and creative ways was considered the whole point of having fun.

What amusing to me, now many months later after having played the hell out of the game, is the two guys doing the panel had NO clue how the game worked or had even played it.  They made lots of claims how the game worked like 'it's impossible to keep the goblins at bay for a prolonged period'  and 'eventually the goblins always win'.  Crappy panel, but they turned me on to a good game so I kinda forgive them.

Dbuhos

• Bay Watcher
  • Carbon Strain
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #69 on: August 20, 2010, 01:38:14 pm »

Facepunch forums. I was insta-hooked by the variety. SO many stuffs to do.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 01:41:06 pm by Dbuhos »

Jazzfunk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 20, 2010, 02:06:48 pm »

I was on the Heroes of Newerth games forum.  Members were discussing how steep the HoN learning curve was, when one guy came in and mentioned dwarf fortress in passing, to which most people agreed was infinitely more difficult than HoN.  One tvtropes page and Wikipedia search later, I was downloading the game. 

Umbro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 20, 2010, 02:09:33 pm »

Destructoid's Rev Rant videos.  Anthony Birch was talking about a fortress being slaughtered and then only survivor being a baby that went crazy and drowned itself. 

AltF8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • PeriodicGames
« Reply #72 on: August 20, 2010, 02:34:53 pm »

Like many others, the TPS comic/rant was where I was introduced.
Goblin pricking does not sound like it could pay well enough.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 20, 2010, 02:47:01 pm »

Like many others, the TPS comic/rant was where I was introduced.
Indeed, I am another who found Dwarf Fortress through this.

On my first few forts I didn't know how to change z-levels. I was very upset when I tried to build things on what was called "open space" and learned that I couldn't. "It's open space, there's nothing in your way! BUILD SOMETHING." I didn't understand anything and deleted DF from my computer soon after.

Months later I returned and stuck with it.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

sobriquet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 17, 2010, 04:10:56 pm »

For me, it was wired.com----> tvtropes----> Boatmurdered.  At first the ASCII freaked me out and I was like, "I'll never play this."  But, like a cat breeding through a wall, it grew into a...a monster in my head.  I read the forums and, after days, downloaded the game and began.

I like it.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7