Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: What got you into Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 8779 times)

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
What got you into Dwarf Fortress?
« on: August 18, 2010, 04:32:39 pm »

Me, I like reading stuff over at http://www.tvtropes.com.  I was reading the section on videogames, and it mentioned Dwarf Fortress. Intrigued, I downloaded the game...

...only to be promptly overwhelmed by it. I didn't touch it again for about 6 months.  Then I found the wiki, followed tutorials, and got a handle on the basics. I'm a visual learner, so I learn better that way than with fiddling around to figure it out myself.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Hour Hero Yes

• Bay Watcher
  • when you stop to read, you have to leave a rock
    • View Profile
    • space ghetto
Re: What got you into Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 04:46:28 pm »

I saw this comic on someone's facebook along with them saying how into this game they were.  I picked it up, shrieked in fear at the graphics and promptly shut it down.  Little did I know it had planted itself in my head where it grew and grew into more attempts to play. 

I think the learning curve influenced me.  I wanted to be able to say I picked up DF, one of the hardest games to pick up!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 04:55:50 pm »

I was first draw in by listening to my friend on steam describe her complete and utter defeat at the hands of a single camel. I thought it was a sci-fi game because she referred to the crossbowmen as bolters... Any game that can provide such irony and humor is perfect, it's what I've always looked for in games.

Dwarf Fortress.
a towering muskrat composed of humor and irony. It is graphics-less and appears to be modded frequently. Beware it's sadistic vapors.

There was no searching for youtube tutorials for me, I managed to figure it out from the wiki and my own mistakes.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Exiledhero99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 05:01:10 pm »

4chan, namely /tg/. Someone on their put the picture of the big cathedral from the wiki up and after reading the thread for a while, I did a quick google search and followed the link trail from the wiki to here. In those days, the wiki was the single greatest thing ever as far as I was concerned.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 05:14:55 pm by Exiledhero99 »
If you hit a dwarf with moving water with sufficient strength it will knock the baby out of the mother's arms.  The water can then be used to sweep the baby into a well or cistern for drowning.  The device which does this can also double as a mist generator.

Malakai Makaisson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 05:09:03 pm »

I first found out about it around a year ago on the xkcd forums. I had a look at it, got mightly confused, and so deleted it after a day or two.

I picked it up again about a month and fell in love. More or less.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 05:15:51 pm »

I can find absolutely no references to it, but I first saw DF mentioned on a show that I cannot remember the name of on G4 TV.  DF was mentioned in a section of the show dedicated to indie games, and was touted as being one of the most complex games the reviewer had ever attempted to play.  The screenshots on the show sort of threw me, as I havent played any ascii games since Rogue when I was 8 and my cousin had it on his brand new tandy computer.

A few weeks later I was bored so went and looked it up, downloaded it, managed to create a world, got confused and frustrated at the embark screen and forgot about it for a long time.  Except I never really forgot, and occasionally would see mention of the game on forums which kept giving me the feeling that I was missing out on something awesome.  So a while later, after seeing some screenshots of the mayday graphics set and finding the tinypirate tutorials, I decided I would learn to play, for REAL this time.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

beef623

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 06:12:46 pm »

I think Boatmurdered was what convinced me to finally spend enough time to start really figuring out how to play. Once things started clicking, it was too awsome to not keep playing...

kapusta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 06:15:05 pm »

First heard of it a couple of years ago, when one of my friends played it. I dismissed it back then, since he's got a strange fetish for text-based games, and so I thought that he played it because of the graphics as opposed to gameplay.

A few months ago I heard it mentioned on a forum I frequent, and this time the guy playing it uploaded a few screenshots with Mayday's graphics pack. I figured that these graphics were acceptable to me (I'm not a fan of roguelikes and anything text-based), and judging by the description of the fun he had pumping water out of his flooded fortress I decided to finally try DF.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 06:20:42 pm »

For me it was the first three panel soul comic. Thought the game looked nifty, so I downloaded it, gen'd a world and promptly quit (WTH do all these symbols mean?!?) came back a few months later after learning about Mayday's graphic pack, ready Boatmurdered, found the wiki, and started playing. My first fort drowned before the first summer. (Why are these tiles flashing blue? Oh well I'll just mine into them anyways.)
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

ZaDoktor

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarves and Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 06:24:48 pm »

For me, it was also TVTropes. I remember reading a few pages where they would mention DF. Then when I saw the actual DF page, it sounded too amazing to pass up.

A tutorial and few forts later here I am.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 08:09:01 pm »

I think Boatmurdered was what convinced me to finally spend enough time to start really figuring out how to play. Once things started clicking, it was too awsome to not keep playing...

This!

My first experience was watching my roommate play it; it looked like ANSI salad and I wondered WTF it was.  He explained what all the ampersands and red sevens were, and then threw out, like a gauntlet, that it was really hard to pick up.  I nodded, wandered off, and went back to my bland-but-pretty game of the week.

Months later, I ran across Boatmurdered.  I had to play DF.

Now paragraph signs all look like trees to me.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 09:02:01 pm »

For me, it was also TVTropes. I remember reading a few pages where they would mention DF. Then when I saw the actual DF page, it sounded too amazing to pass up.

A tutorial and few forts later here I am.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 09:06:41 pm »

the mega-thread on the xkcd forums first showed me, then boatmurdered got me to start playing. I learned with the captnduck tutorials and then the wiki.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 09:08:09 pm »

Total happenstance.  I'm a huge fan of Baldur's Gate 2 (800 hours of gameplay time thanks to mods) and for one reason or another I did a Google search for "sleeping dwarf", in this case relevant to the one who is in fact sleeping at the Copper Coronet.  The first search result was for the 40d entry on Noise on the DF Wiki, which piqued my curiosity and led to further explanation.  From there, I discovered Boatmurdered, laughed my ass off, and started playing DF soon thereafter.  I remember being totally floored and from there the rest is history.

Even now I still get a fuzzy feeling when I see the screenshots from Boatmurdered, remembering that sense of wonder discovering this game.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 09:19:14 pm »

I found out about it from the infinity forums.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7